Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Deep hook, more strength  (Read 775 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Deep hook, more strength
« on: September 12, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
i was experimenting today with my string hand. i found if i get a good grip in the first joint and point my fingers back tward me i get just as smooth a release and feel stronger in my anchor and seem to draw easier. i always anchor in the first joint just never curl my fingers back so much. if you are wanting to experiment give it a try. it will make you feel stronger, i think alot has to do with not having so much tenstion on my finger tips.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deep hook, more strength
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
BINGO!!!!!!   :clapper:
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
I started doing this a few months back and feel it really reduced the tension in the entire drawing arm.

Offline OHtar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Recently did the same myself. I was shooting with the pads of my fingers. Not sure why, just how I started this spring . Made drawing, and holding much easier.

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
I found my release is worse when I use a deep hook. I try to get the string halfway to my first joint...much cleaner release. It takes some getting used to, and you'll have to use a lighter bow at first, but you get used to it.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Absolutely. Deep hook allows stronger draw, cleaner release (yes,cleaner), and better alignment, plus it eliminates that pesky newbie problem of the arrow falling off the rest at the begining of the draw.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
You got it. I wish I had figured that out when I first started shooting.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
Which joint is first, first from your fingertip or first from your hand?  I don't know what people consider the first joint.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
First from you finger tips.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Breeze430

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
I've been considering this..glad to see it it works. I got a REAL bad shoulder and I need more strength. I think I started shooting from my "pads" because I shot compounds for so long.
Breeze
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.”

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by mahantango:
 cleaner release (yes,cleaner
how does it allow a cleaner release? it seems like the farther the string has to slide off your fingers, the worse the release would be. I'm not sure, I've never tried it.

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
I know that in "accuracy factory", rick welch says to shoot off the pads of your fingers

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
giff,

There are many ways to "skin a cat." It would SEEM to make sense that the farther out on the tips of your fingers you get the string the better the release would be.  In this case though, that is not true.  When the string is way out on the tips of your fingers, you can only hold it with extreme tension in your hand, wrist and forearm.  That tension destroys your ability to relax your string hand and ultimately causes a pluck at best and a really poor release at worst.

Some folks can shoot well that way and frankly I shot that way for many years.  BUT...  By getting the string into the first joint of your fingers (see my video called "release tips" which can be found on the thread below called "rotational draw technique")  The hook can be held with FAR FAR less tension and when you relax your string hand, the string FLIPS your unresisting fingers out of the way.  A much cleaner release that actually puts more bow energy into the arrow.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
OK, I guess that makes sense, maybe I'll try it next time I'm shooting

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
Moebow makes a good point that might help some shooters.

When I moved from finger tips to a first-joint, deep hook style, I did feel stronger and more relaxed.

I found that the temptation to use just finger tips was the result of a thick leather glove that I had been using for years. The glove had developed very deep grooves and I just hooked the string with those grooves. When that glove finally died I had to change my string grip and tried the deeper hook to keep my hand relaxed.

I try to release by letting the string pull itself away with complete relaxation-- like "snow slipping off of a bamboo leaf." A relaxed hand and forearm from the deeper hook makes that easier for me.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Lurefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
RedShaft thanks for this thread, I was about two shots away from giving up on traditional archery ( at least for hunting anyway). Then I tried this deep hook method, its almost magical how it has helped me. Thanks again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©