Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: FOCUS..and the ADD Archer  (Read 909 times)

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
FOCUS..and the ADD Archer
« on: September 15, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
I've been know to be a bit slow on the uptake in addition to being genuinely ADD.   This might not be a revelation for most of you, but it is a big deal for me.  I have, after about four years, just gotten to the point where I know that the arrow is going exactly where I look.  No matter how you do it that takes a lot of practice, but for me it had to happen in a certain way.  

I just can't focus for very long on the same target, or for a lot of arrows.  I need to shoot in groups of 3 or 4 arrows, 4 to 5 groups and then STOP.   The do the same again later in the day, at least 3 times a day. On weekends, 5-6 times.  

Quality over quantity.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FOCUS..and the ADD Archer
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
Actually thats about how I practice. You also don't want to get in a rhythm. Hunting is about placing one arrow where it needs to go. And practicing like you say stops bad habits from forming.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Sounds like effective practice. Keep at it.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
Interesting topic.

I'm not trying to be wise, but I am not sure if you are looking for a conversation from others or just wanted to point out some of your experiences.

FWIW, I currently have a student with ADD (not ADHD). He works very hard at archery and is coming along slowly but steadily. Steadily increasing is much more important than the time to takes to get there. People who progress very fast often hit peaks that they cannot break out of which can be extremely frustrating.

If you are looking for help in advancement then ask away (maybe on the shooting forum). If you are fine with your shooting then I am truly glad and congratulate you. For what I have heard and have experienced, what you have learned, which may have been a struggle, will stay with you much longer then the ordinary person mainly because you have had to work much harder and for longer periods for your achievements.

Bob

Offline PCF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Interesting topic. I am actually in the waiting room to see my ADHD dr.  While not the same exact affliction, I feel your pain.  I struggle with his every day and I use archery to help my situation. I to shoot in groups of 3-4 stop for a while and come back later.  I often wonder how much better I could shoot if I possessed the ability to concentrate for longer periods of time.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
Admin - Thanks for moving this to the appropriate place.

BobCo - Thanks for your post.  My first reason for posting just as you said - to point out my experience, in hopes that others wouldn't go out and shoot lots of arrow at the same target all at once and get frustrated.  But any converastion that comes of it is good by me.  I am am always looking to learn.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
I think most folks have a limited time of true focus...problem is most use up their time limit, before ever getting to anchor. Thats the reason I prefer to only focus/aim after all the others parts of a shot are in place.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
I agree with Rod. Most people have true focus for only about the 3 seconds - it makes our focus much like Goldfish.   :)  

To help prove the concept to non-believers, we have a large clock and get about 5 students to clap on the second for 5 seconds. Then we move to claps every five seconds, then 30 and 60 seconds. You'll notice that everyone is in sink at the shorter durations, but as the time distances get longer the claps get spaced further.

Problem is though is getting people who suffer with ADD to focus or concentrate at all without distraction. Then once they get the concentration to keep it consistent from shot to shot. The ultimate challenge is to get them to have a repeatable, consistent thought process throughout the shot cycle.

What we try to do is to ultimately associate counting with steps in the shot sequence. We usually use a three count to hold (1 draw, 2 anchor 3 transfer), and then a three count through expansion (there is  also some stuff before the draw). Aiming only takes place in expansion which is another three count.  There is one final three count during follow through. It's almost like a waltz, 1-2-3, 1-2-3. Even if the count stops at expansion, subconscious timing can be set for the shot. The draw (count one) sets the speed of the shot sequence. If there is a quick draw then there is a quick anchor, etc.  The counting is done at the conscious level at first but gets imbedded.

In order to actually evaluate the focus/concentration, we use NeuroSky technology which is able to show levels of concentration and meditation during the shot sequence. Focus training and relaxation can also be practiced on the NeuroSky system.

Other focus training for example, can be done, such as having a random order number grid. The individual is asked to find five number sequences with the starting number given by the timer. As focus increases, time decreases.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
I have ADD....but it does not effect my shooting at all....nor my concentration.  I'm mostly distracted away from things I doing that I don't want, or care, to do....or when I'm working and my brain is pinging 90MPH.  BUT, when I'm shooting that is my 'downtime', and I'm never distracted as I am doing something that relaxes me and that I enjoy.

Maybe your outlook could be different....positive thinking can work wonders.   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Roaring Reds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 03:23:00 AM »
I cant believe that im........."Whoa check that out"!!!!........Lol

This is a crazy topic, i was diagnosed with ADD when i was 12 and was hooked on synthetic meth for 10 years....Thanks to the shrinks.
Those ADD drugs should be banned! Back to the topic, I do as Terry and use shooting as a way to wind down after work. I dont think ADD would effect someones ability to be an outstanding archer. I shoot well and from Terrys video i watched he is an outstanding archer. So fellow trad gangers dont use ADD as a handicap and rather use it as an extension to an outstanding personality....

Thanks for listening, John Addington   :goldtooth:

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
BobCo is right. See Chris Batha's chapter on the eye in Breaking Clays.  Yes, it's about shotguns, skeet, etc., but the focus problems are the same as in instinctive archery. That's just the way the eye works. That's why I marvel when compound shooters take so long to aim and shoot. They must be losing and regaining focus several times.

Richard

Offline tradorion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
My ADD issues may r may nt get in the way of my shooting abili... SQUIRREL- LOOK AT THE SQUIRREL!!

ooooops- sorry!

Once I get a bow tuned to where my arrows are flying well I shoot very few "targets" except a little bit of work on a 3D deer.

Most of my shooting is a yard based version of stump shooting- it took me a long time to figure out that this works for me... but after many years of not being able to get good "groups" I have been able to achive pretty consistent accuracy.
As noted by a buddy I talked into bow hunting: "MAN!! A deer walks out at 50yds with a gun and its over... with a bow the hunt is just starting!!"

Offline Badwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Yup I have ADHD I figure out quick snap shooting is the only way I operate... Don't get me wrong I hit full draw but never stop. If I try to hold it I'm like, there's my spot orrr was that it?ahh I like thatone better... Once I start my draw my target is determined no need to hold... Again just works for me
Brandon Moore
Rome,Ga

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©