Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Why high and right  (Read 666 times)

Online Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
Why high and right
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
Over the last couple of years my shooting has improved quite a bit thanks in many ways to this site. In fact I've Robin Hooded a couple of arrows over the last week or so. If I miss I usually know why and can correct. But once in a while I have a shot go about 6" high and right and I can't figger out what is causing it. In fact the high right shots form a pretty good group on their own. It's with all my bows so it's probably me.

I'm shooting a right handed ChekMate Hunter, 50lb at 28", split fingered.
I hold the bow loosely with my index and middle finger. My ring and little finger are tucked between my palm and the riser.
I cant the bow about 10 degrees.
I shoot off the shelf.
The equipment is properly tuned.
I am maintaining back tension. Quite often my string hand will end up behind and touching my neck.

Any suggestions????? If more info is required please ask.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why high and right
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
Everybody will have one fly off every now and again, nobody is perfect.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Jock W,  6" high and right at what distance?

Two suggestions to look at.  

You say you cant the bow about 10*.  Is your head and more importantly your string hand also canted the same?  If not, a little twist of the string at full draw may be causing a "kick" in the arrow that is not consistent.

As little as 1/8" of deviation of the placement/location of your string hand at anchor can cause  about an 8" error of the arrow at twenty yards.  The string hand needs to be absolutely in the same place (up/down/left/right)every time.  It doesn't take very much inattention to this to cause a wild arrow.

Just two places to look for a "fix."  As Larry said sometimes our human factor takes over and we just plain miss.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Long time archer new trad shooter here.  One thing that sounds odd to me is your grip.

In my limited experience with trad gear, you need a sold firm but not torqued grip on the bow. (Iknow its not popular, but I have better luck with wheel bows using this grip as well)

IMO holding with just your top two fingers and curling in your bottom two fingers leaves too much room for the bow to move on its own during your follow through.

One other thing that I have seen cause this is going back and forth between having one eye closed and both eyes open.

Good luck!

Just my thoughts from my limited experience.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Sometimes, when my form strays, I tend to pluck the string a bit. This shows up primarily when I begin to get tired. This consistently causes me to go high to the right. Almost always, I notice my shooting hand finishing up away from my anchor/release  point. As soon as I realize this and again begin to release properly, the problem goes away.
Sam

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Sam X 2 ! You can usually know this by how your fingers feel, especially the ring finger. If I start plucking the string I can always tell by how irritated my ring finger gets, and what Sam said about the string hand going the wrong way.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
Moebow I'm shooting at about 15 - 20 yards. My head and string hand are aligned with the cant of the bow. This is why I'm so puzzled. I will look for evidence of plucking as Sam and NJloco mentioned.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©