Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Check my form, please (video)  (Read 711 times)

Offline Zarquon

• Trad Bowhunter
Check my form, please (video)
« on: September 21, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
Hi all !
I uploaded three short videos of me shooting (the bow is a 25#@28 recurve I use for training in my backyard).

Any critique about my form  is appreciated.

Video 1 :  

Video 2 :  

Video 3 :  

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Check my form, please (video)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Zarquon,  Overall looking pretty good. Good drawing motion direction.

In the first clip, you have your bowhand fingers sticking straight out and in the last one they are curled around the grip.  Do you use a finger sling? I would recommend relaxing those bow hand fingers so they lay lightly on the back of the grip.  At least keep them the same from shot to shot.

It appears in your three shots that you are using an arm draw vs. a rear shoulder /back muscle draw as you string shoulder isn't moving around very much.  Also notice how string your string forearm muscles bulge.  Try relaxing that entire forearm and wrist -- floppy relaxed.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I see a nice consistent and fluid shot.  Other than what mobow said....I would like to see your drawing elbow make the 'J' complete.  Your elbow looks to be at about 4 O'Clock...and it needs to come around closer to 6.

Remember, this motion is not just straight back, but around.  You draw length wont be much longer but the movement will cover more ground and get your back engaged.

Your elbow is near the red angle....

Try and get it around like the yellow 'J'

Looks like you are very confident in your shot.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Zarquon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »
Moebow, Terry..thanks a lot for advice.

I don't use a finger sling . I didn't notice my bow  hand fingers were opened until I saw the video. The bow arm motion stops too early when my index finger reaches the angle of the mouth (that's my ancor point)...so I dont complete the "J".

I should do more blank bale work and concentrate on single steps and use a formaster.......

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 01:51:00 AM »
No expert here but I have recently bettered my form with the help of moebow.

A tip id like to throw out while doing blank bale, close your eyes. Yeah its scary at first but you shouldn't be that far back from the bale. Look before you draw, but close your eyes as soon as you are ready. let your body tell you what's right with the tips in mind.

Your not drawing with your arm. back tension.
bring your draw to anchor, moebow points this out in a video, almost like your trying to move your shoulder blade around your spine.
don't over draw but keep putting some tension in your back and when you release relax your hand and the little tension you have in your forearm from gripping the string and your hand should slide past your ear or follow through more and to your shoulder. If your hand is coming away from your face, your forcing the release, this is where my problem is.

Hope some of this helps.
Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Offline Zarquon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 04:37:00 AM »
It works !
I tried on a blank bale, both with eyes closed and opened and now I feel my shot sequence is a little better. Shooting with eyes closed keeps me more concentrated on single steps and I can feel more back muscles working.

Yesterday watched another 5 or 6 times Moebow's video on rotational draw and made a formaster
Things are very different now!: I learned what back tension really is.

In the videos I've posted previously I blocked at anchor point before I reached a proper back tension and released opening string fingers. Probably this caused my hand going slightly laterally instead of backwards...

Now I draw to anchor but keep rotating my elbow slightly backwards (trying to follow a "J" shape ,as Terry said). Althought I feel some tension in my forearm , I also feel more tension in back muscles. Release is now much smooth and I don't need to open string hand fingers..just relax a little and string slides gently ......

Thanks again for help.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©