Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Left or Right wing?  (Read 588 times)

Offline SCbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Left or Right wing?
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
I am a former compound shooter that has hung up the wheels and now going traditional.  My previous arrows were always right wing with and fletched with a right helical. I notice a lot of trad arrows are left wing and left helical. Is there a reason for this?  Are there advantages using left wing over right wing?

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Left or Right wing?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
With this economy I have to recommend "right wing" lol.  It doesn't make any difference in shooting for me that I can notice.  I have heard that left wing feathers used to be cheaper as there were more of them.  Something to do with the right wing being clipped on turkeys or the butchering process breaking more of the right wing feathers.  I use right wing as they are supposed to turn the arrow in a direction that helps keep your points tight.  Not sure that it does but right wing just seems "right".

Offline SCbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
Yes...I could not bring myself to buy anything "left wing".  Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Other than the 'left/right paradigm' if you shoot a Hill style longbow and draw the arrow on or very near your index finger, the right wing can make sharp contact on your left finger. Conversely if you shoot left handed.  If one has to make a political parallel to feathers, it may be better to use no feathers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©