Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Stupid 3 under shooting  (Read 1729 times)

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
Stupid 3 under shooting
« on: September 23, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
I've shot split for a long time, and can shoot pretty decent. But, recently I've had a sore index finger, and I have an old Bear I'm trying to tune up for a friend who shoots 3 under, and........

I'm afraid I may have crossed over to the dark side and don't wanna go back. After fiddling with it long enough to develop a somewhat consistent form, I may be too accurate!

Someone tell me why I shouldn't just shoot 3 under all the time? My recurve has a B50 string - can't tell where it's any louder. It's a quiet bow to start with.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stupid 3 under shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
I'm not going to tell you...lol.  I shot split most of 42 years.  Had been going back and forth over the past year....finally went over completely about six weeks ago.  Feel like I have just that much more control over my shot.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under because I am more accurate that way.  The only reason I can think of to shoot split is if you often shoot reverse cant, but really how often do you need to shoot reverse cant.  Welcome to the "dark side".

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
I switched - and it certainly seems to help my consitency, which is what i was after. It still isn't as great as I "dream of" but it did improve. That being said, I also say, "different strokes for different folks."
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
I’m not going to encourage you to go back to split—I’ve been shooting 3-under for over 40 years.

The reason you’re more accurate is because you’ve shortened your gap considerably, or if you prefer, narrowed the focus of your sight picture. :^)

As to your bow being quiet, I hear lots of folks remark that their bow is louder when shooting 3-under—never been my experience, but I don’t dismiss other’s opinions.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Welcome to the Darkside.     :scared:    Don't fight it, just go with it. If it helps it's also called Apache Draw. Sounds cool huh?

The only drawback I've heard of is shooting long distance is easier with Split. If I shoot long distance it's only on targets, and for fun, so I don't care. I'm not shooting over 20 yards on Game, 10 or 15 even better.

Nock fit is more critical and I find two nock points work best. Keeps the arrow from sliding down on you.

Have fun!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline chuckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
2010 ASA  
TRADITIONAL
WORLD CHAMP

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
its prob cause it moves the arrow closer to your eye and enables your body and mind to work better together.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:  

I'm never going back to split.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Switched 3 months ago. Done and done with split.

Online kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  I shoot much more accurately with three under.  I tried to go back to split a while back for the heck of it.  It just felt so awkward, I couldn't do it.
Ken Thornhill

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Like DannyBow I also went (back) to two nock points - always liked them anyway, and they seem to make things easier with 3 under.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ranger75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Not trying to hijack this, but is there a greater advantage to two nock points shooting 3-under vs. split?

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Ranger75,

You may want to watch the two video's and see what you think.

http://picasaweb.google.com/116451859615119061133/AVIs?gsessionid=7bN-7uOVO6_dYECuSkPxkA

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
I'm fairly new to trad archery, but I have played with both styles and came to prefer the 3 under. I have 2 nock locators on my string: top brass, bottom dental floss. I'm liking it.  :thumbsup:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline rmcpb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Another here who has gone to three under. Was trying to use split for longer shots but have found its better to anchor a bit lower (facewalk).
Cheers
Rob Browne

Offline FightingCelt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
I too am fairly new to trad archery.  I have found myself experimenting with both styles and it seems to be that I am naturally prone to using the 3 under draw.  I do find that my acurracy with instictive shooting superior with this style...just my .02cents
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
supposed to be surrounded.

1972 Bear Kodiak Magnum

Pray, and let God worry.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Ranger 75--Since you're not trapping the arrow nock between your fingers, as in split finger, the lower nock keeps the arrow from sliding down the string.

Also, if you butt your index finger against the nock, then draw to anchor, the increased string angle can cause undue upward pressure on the arrow nock. I found it could affect arrow flight for me at times.

By using 2 nock points I can keep my index finger 1/4" or so below, that way when the string angle increases near anchor I get no pinching on the nock.

I use 2 adjustable tied-on nock points. There are good directions for them in the How-To forum.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Why would I try to talk you into or out of an arrow holding method? Shoot how you like and are the most effective at.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Well, I'm still hitting what I shoot at. Had to move my nocking point up a little as many have suggested, but it's working out pretty well.

The only problem is if I try to gap shoot at 30-40 yards I lose my form a little because I'm not used to noticing the arrow at all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©