Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Animals vs. Targets ??  (Read 1334 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
Animals vs. Targets ??
« on: October 02, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
OK, here "out west" we get very few shot opportunities as compared folks that hunt whitetails.  Shooting 5-6 or more deer a year to us is almost unbelievable.

Simply put we need to make every shot count as we may not get another this season.

I am considered a pretty fair shot at 3D targets...but when it comes to shooting big game I really suck!  It's most always an arrow over the back.

If I have time to "adjust" myself I do much better.  But if an animal takes me surprise I don't do very well at all...

Most of the problem is picking a spot.  And, perhaps I need to tell myself to evaluate the yardage, though I never do that at 3 D shoots.

Suggestions, books? videos?

Thanks,

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Animals vs. Targets ??
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Get some blunts and start walking and shooting at small things at various distances.. don't think about it... pick an object, draw, shoot... thinking past the shot sequence is usually a bad thing... never shoot from the same spot twice... alway pick a new target..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
I wonder if there is some kind of universal tendency to shoot high when our adrenalin gets going?  I read a series of books about the Napoleonic wars a few years ago, and the captain always yelled at his men to "aim at their knees, boys," as they marched into battle.  I try to aim a little lower than I think I should when I shoot at a big game animal, and I've never been sorry I did.  Maybe if we got more shot opportunities we wouldn't need to do that, but as you say, living in the West, that's not likely.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Hunt more SMALL GAME! trust me    :thumbsup:
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Go stump shooting, that helps a lot.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Bob ,
I'll be interested in this one too as I have often find myself slipping one 'over the back '
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
i am the same as about, I think I am destined to be a target shooter instead of a hunter because I suck at hitting game but I to think it's all about picking a spot, I just get to excited.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Bob, you already know the answer: "Most of the problem is picking a spot". Every time I don't do that, the arrow goes over the back. Last year I managed to miss a close one low, but I haven't figured out how I did that yet.  :)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Two things that may help.  Jay Kidwell's "button technique" where you have a button that you carry with you and look at often.  Whenever you shoot you visualize that button on the spot you want to hit.  I am working on this one.  And as Redshaft mentioned above; hunt small game for more shots on live animals.  I have started tormenting the squirrels in my backyard.  Going through the shot sequence on a squirrel is difficult because they are always moving.  For you it may be ground hogs or gophers but the benefit is the same.  Concentrate on making the shot on the small game exactly the same as you do on the 3d range.  Keep hunting!

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I try to picture a quarter sitting right on the vitals, but in the heat of the moment it can get tough.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
It sounds to me like your comfort zone shots are right on, but the pressure cooker shots could use a little work. The situation could mentally be tearing down your shot, I don't see it as physical or being a lack of practice. It is very difficult to replicate this mental situation in practice that will actually help. You maybe able to do some visualizations (it takes work) that will raise your heart rate and hopefully come close to duplicating the real thing. Maybe try taking your unsuccessful shots (something that you already had an experience with) and replicating the emotional feeling starting at the time you first saw the game, the only difference is to visualize yourself with perfect form and having the shot hitting the mark. After perfecting this, then maybe take it to a 3d target with your bow. Visualization takes practice though and there are a few ways to do it. First is to see yourself as if you were on TV (this is a bit easier), second is visualize and actually feel emotional and physical characteristics (second way is a bit better) during the visualization.

Disclaimer: It is not for everyone. But if it helps, great.      :)    

Below is a quote that I kind of like:

This is kind of neat and is as applicable to today as it was in 300 BC:

"When an archer is shooting for nothing he has all his skill.
If he shoots for a brass buckle he is already nervous.
If he shoots for a prize of gold
he goes blind or sees two targets
- he is out of his mind!

His skill has not changed. But the prize
divides him. He cares.
He thinks more of winning than of shooting
and the need to win
drains him of power. "

Chuang Tzu

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Hunt more small game as others have suggested and quit shooting dots on targets, don't put anything on the bale and practice picking out different things to shoot at, holes, cracks, fibers, etc. anything that just stands out that you can concentrate on.  After warming up on the bale, go out and stump shoot, always being sure to pick out something on the target you are shooting at and never just shoot at the whole leaf, stump or pine cone, but actually pick out something on it to concentrate on.
This will work over to shooting an animal and just pick out something out of place on the animal to focus on and never take your eye off that spot.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Bob, I have the same problem,but opposite of yours. If they come in fast I don't have time to freak out and just shoot at a spot. Haven't figured it out yet. I am trying to remedy it by going out of state for whitetail where i might get a couple more shots. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline OrTrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
I have always had a tendancy to think deer are bigger and stand taller than they really are.  That misconception can really affect range estimation so I try to use a target at different ranges that is similar to their size.

When hunting videos first became available, I was totally amazed at how often and how far a deer will drop down when getting ready to bound away.  Often times not visible till seen in slow motion. Maybe you're shooting great?
Howatt Hunter #55
Bear Kodiac Magnum #72
Samick #60

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
the flip side of this. My son is one of, if not the best shot I have ever seen on standing targets and standing small game. After filling his doe tags and killing an absurd number of squirrels one year, he got an idea that a McKensie deer target could be used to lure in bucks. Two things 1. It did. 2. when he tried to shoot it at 18 yards he put the first 4 arrows over its back by 1/2". I stuck a wooden match into the heart of the target and he hit the match the first shot. Lots of times, it may seem like we are picking a spot, but in reality we mesmerizing that we have a spot and instead just shoot at the silhouette of the critter. On small game one still has to pick a spot, for real not imaginary, those high misses still look like a good shot because the target is smaller, but that same error is easily transferred to big game. The answer? Shoot at small game until you know that you are shooting at one tiny target on the side of the critter. I always first shoot at a squirrels eye ball, then on the next one I try for a neck shot, because the eye ball is a good spot, it is still a very obvious spot.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
I think part of it is anchor point as well.  When relaxed at a 3D shoot, I really concentrate on my form but when shooting at critters, I have a tendency to stretch out my draw which adds a few pounds...  Don't know why...  Maybe I sub-consciously don't trust the killing ability of the bow and want to make it hit harder?

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
I learned several years ago to "Anticipate" the shot, or to shoot where the animal is going to be after i loosed the arrow.

This is after many years of bowhunting and learning what white tails do and if they are relaxed or tensed or walking. I've taken many deer that were walking at a slow pace anticipating the hit.

Its not easy to explain and i've been ridiculed for saying it, but it has worked for me over the years.
I try to pick a spot like the heart and if the deer trys to drop they usually drop into the arrow for a double lung shot and if they don't drop they get struck in the heart.
Now, i can say this. When they have over 125" of antler on there head i get a little flustered. grin

It may be that i know i won't hunt as much after i tag one like that because hunting is very hard on my back and causes alot of pain, but my love for the bow drives me onward each year.

Shooting at a live animal verses a 3-D target is alot differant.
One- you know the target isn't going to move.
Two-your adrenaline is kicking in when an animal is in close enough for a shot as we all know.
Three-Its easy to pic a spot on something that isn't looking around and on high alert most all the time.

Akmud, i use to do that as well and i started cutting my arrows 3/4 longer than my draw, so when i bumped the back of the BH against the riser i knew to back off a bit.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
I shoot at a spot on the deer and focus on nothing but that. I believe a fella shoots his best when his shooting is automatic and he don`t have to think about it. No thoughts on anchor or grip....not any focus is on whats in the hands but rather whats out in front.
  I missed a lot of deer early on till I started shooting for the white hairs in the crease of the leg. gives me a spot to focus on and our deer down here are very jumpy and I usually hit them mid lung because they always squat some. On pigs I shoot for the crease just above the elbow.
  I know that if I hold my form and pick a spot I will hit very close to it. I`m confident of that and that is key...confidence
  I also have learned that a forgiving bow is much more deadly in my hands than a super fast or short one.I do not have the skill to shoot either so a good forgiving bow works best for me  I don`t hold at anchor long. The most steady shot for me is when I hit anchor I hold just long enough to think"right there" as I`m locked on the spot and then the shots gone.Kinda like my built in clicker. I won`t shoot till those to words run through my mind and I have to be looking "right there" for them too. Crazy ain`t it.RC

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Thanks all!  Appreciate your input.

I am going pig hunting in a couple of weeks...will let you know the out come.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline S.C.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 05:54:00 AM »
This is kind of neat and is as applicable to today as it was in 300 BC:

"When an archer is shooting for nothing he has all his skill.
If he shoots for a brass buckle he is already nervous.
If he shoots for a prize of gold
he goes blind or sees two targets
- he is out of his mind!

His skill has not changed. But the prize
divides him. He cares.
He thinks more of winning than of shooting
and the need to win
drains him of power. "

Chuang Tzu

Good Stuff!!The thought of the kill will override the hit everytime for me.I try to
stay focused on the hunt and not the kill.
Its all in the mind!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©