Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Your 3 under anchor position?  (Read 727 times)

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Your 3 under anchor position?
« on: October 05, 2011, 02:14:00 AM »
Been shooting 3 under for a year now, I still have fairly big gaps because my anchor seems low compared to some other shooters, I like this anchor position because it feels comfortable and if I try to go higher I find the back tension feeling more difficult to get.

It looks to me almost the same as my split anchor position, yet I'm finding aiming much easier when using 3 under. Point on is 56 yards with this anchor and although gaps are big on short range I seem to manage Ok.

What's more important to you with 3 under  method, Form comfort or to get the arrow close to eye for better aiming?

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your 3 under anchor position?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
zeta-
After a recent eye opening lesson strictly on form, I would say both.  Consistentcy of anchor (FORM), alignment, back tension and practice on repeatable form will result in consistentcy of arrow placement.  So form comfort should lead to better aiming.  Aiming is for hitting targets while form is for properly releasing the arrow by using the correct "set-up" ie: form.  But is there a difference between split and 3-under proper form?

If your anchor is comfortable to you and your form is consistent than that is YOUR anchor.  Don't worry about other people's anchors as they aren't the ones shooting YOUR bow.  I recently started shooting 3-under and my anchor is my thumb-knuckle closest to my hand on my rear jaw bone because that is where my hand goes when I use proper form. If you are using proper form, your skeletal and muscle structure will dictate where your hand will end up at full draw.  Again, these are just my opinions and not to be taken as if I, in any way, know what the heck I am talking about!  Just putting my perspective out there.

Best of Luck.  Archery is a very individual thing and it's always interesting to me to hear other peoples techniques and ideas.  Enjoy your shooting.
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Interesting.  Closer to the eye would be nice to close the gap for easier aiming, but comfort and consistency rules the day.  :^)

btw... my anchor looks identical to yours.

Offline Mo0se

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Mine is middle finger corner of the mouth, and index finger knuckle on cheekbone. The most important thing for me is being able to repeat it, my point on is 35 yards.
A longbow and wood arrows? Peas and Carrots!

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
I have the same dilema, when shooting 3 under I have better aiming but when I shoot split I have a better anchor position but I'm shooting high. My problem seems to be when I shoot split I am subconsiously putting the arrow on the spot, there fore shooting high, I really need to work on getting below the spot, but so far my subc is running the show.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
That anchor position is working well for me, I did some Stringwalking to give Barebow a try out a few weeks ago but I found that I Gap much better,just that I've done Gap so long I feel very confident with my aim,the Stringwalking was good but just felt I was grouping that little bit better with the Gapping.

Pic was taken this weekend where I shot a 100 target (IFAA max distance 60y) 2 arrow round 3D tourney (10 kill & 5 wound) and I outshot the Barebows & sighted Recurves by just over 100 points and my own Bowhunter div by more, a great day where everything clicked together for me at just the right moment.

tourney photos  

Thanks for the replies, I agree, having a comfy anchor which allows repeatable form is likely more important than getting that arrow right under the eye.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Looked at your tournament pictures - Looks like a fun tournament! Lots of shooters.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by mrjsl:
Looked at your tournament pictures - Looks like a fun tournament! Lots of shooters.
Thanks, I've been in this part of the world 3 years now and watched the Archery grow and the shooting level of Archers really improve, only 10 years ago no Field\\3D Archery in Estonia, they learnt from the Finnish and went on to produce some IFAA World\\European champions, at this tourney I'm seeing a lot more Russians taking up the sport, It looks to me that we will see a big explosion of Trad Archery in Russia over the next few years.

Lot of hunters coming into the sport as well, Bowhunting is also growing in this part of the world, lots of game (Moose,Bear,Wolf,Beaver,Deer etc)with large uspoilt forests. Estonia is small but 75% is still woodland I live 10miles from the capital and we have Moose walk though our land.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©