Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Eye over the arrow?  (Read 766 times)

Offline Good Stuff

• Trad Bowhunter
Eye over the arrow?
« on: October 05, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
I have seen pictures of what I "should" see as I am looking down the arrow shaft. The problem is I can't see it. It seems that I strugle to get my eye over the shaft. When I feel like I do, my nose gets slapped by the string going by. It also feels Like I have to anchor more towards the front of my mouth to see over the shaft which feels like I am short drawing.
Any thoughts?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eye over the arrow?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
What I learned in the class I took from Rod Jenkins was to not move my head at all when I draw the bow and shoot the arrow.  My head should be in an upright position, turned toward the target, with my dominant eye located over the centerline of my body.

In that position, you should be able to draw the bow so the string actually bisects your eye, which means the arrow would be exactly under your eye.  Your head should be turned enough that your nose should be out of the way to the side.  Your anchor is on the side of your face, and not in front of your mouth.

Most of us don't want the string exactly in front of our eye, so we anchor a little more to the side or cant the bow a little, so maybe the string is visible in the corner of our eye, so the arrow may be slightly away from being right under the dominant eye.  I understand that some people do learn to shoot with the string right in front of their eye.

Just what works for me, YMMV, of course.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Good Stuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
It seems that if the anchor point is on the side of your face the arrow will be to the side as well and therfore your eye could not be over the arrow. This is how I normally shoot.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
What I learned in the class I took from Rod Jenkins was to not move my head at all when I draw the bow and shoot the arrow.  My head should be in an upright position, turned toward the target, with my dominant eye located over the centerline of my body.

In that position, you should be able to draw the bow so the string actually bisects your eye, which means the arrow would be exactly under your eye.  Your head should be turned enough that your nose should be out of the way to the side.  Your anchor is on the side of your face, and not in front of your mouth.

This does not work for me - at least with a 60" bow or shorter. I may be able to do it with a longer bow, but haven't spent enough time shooting one.

The only way I can get the string to bisect my eye is to lean my head over and get the hide taken off my nose by the string. I have seen many pictures of people at full draw and I can tell their eye is right behind the string, but not for me, and I don't have an unusual anchor - middle finger in corner of mouth and base of thumb along jawline AND since I started shooting 3 under the cock feather to tip of nose as well. String remains to the right of my eye.

Offline Good Stuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Maybe we have large noses. LOL

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Mostly, peoples' eyes are wider apart than their jaws, so they can anchor near their jaw on the side of their face and still have the arrow under their eye.  I suppose that may not work for everybody.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Good Stuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
Mostly, peoples' eyes are wider apart than their jaws, so they can anchor near their jaw on the side of their face and still have the arrow under their eye.  I suppose that may not work for everybody.
That make sense.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Are you saying I have chubby cheeks, Dave???

I just went and looked at my face, it may be that my eyes are closer together than many folks especially here in the south. I think that may be a sign of intelligence.

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Three things have to come together... The head should be held at the same angle as the string, and the drawing hand should also be at the same angle as the string. Finally the head should be turned to address the target..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Good Stuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Holding my head at the same angle of the string makes perfect since and is something I have never payed any attention to.

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Good Stuff:
Holding my head at the same angle of the string makes perfect since and is something I have never payed any attention to.
Many people who hit their nose with the string upon release are turning their head into the string and looking over their nose rather than tilting the head to the angle of bow and string..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Good Stuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
Today I shot more consistent than I ever have in the two years I have been shooting traditional.My horizontal shots improved drastically and now I have to improve on my vertical. I focused on trying to keep my head on plane with my string and during the process realized how much I have been leaning into the string.
Thanks for everyones help!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©