Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: does anyone shoot with a release aid?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
does anyone shoot with a release aid?
« on: September 16, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
mods if this should'nt be posted ..im sorry and delete it..i have severe arthritis in my right hand on my middle pull finger..i shoot split,tried 3 under and its the same..im shooting 64# .i know if i go down it weight that it feels much better...i have only one bow and by the time i get money for a new set of limbs or get them reduced .hunting seson will be here...i was just wondering if any one has ever done it thanks..
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: does anyone shoot with a release aid?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
I think Mudd designed one.  Send him a PM.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Mitch is right, Mudd made a nice one. There might be a learning curve to getting used to it though.

I have a Samick Night Hawk recurve with 50# and 55# limbs I'm not using as I can't put my longbows down. It's a good shooter and you're welcome to borrow it for the season. I personally wouldn't want to make a major change like a release aid with the season upon us. It's time to start filling the freezer, not learning a new shooting style.

I'd be honored to help a Brother save his season, so shoot me a PM if you want use her.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
I tried one of the old "Hot Shot" type with the rope and a caliper type for fun when I started. I could shoot pretty good with both. The caliper did better with a loop. Still have the "Hot Shot" if you need it.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
There is an old thread from a gentleman with a deformed hand. I cant find it right now though. His was similar to Mudd's in just a leather strap.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
man what i site..i love it here!!!! these brothers and sisters on this site is something you wish the whole world could see  im really touched by the generosity(spell check)...i maybe getting in touch with you ..im gonna hit jim gainey up and see if he has a set of limbs laying around first...thank you all.
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I tried it once when I ran a broadhead into my finger right before a hunting trip. Didn't work for me at all.

Offline Iron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
I would really like to see this release that was made if anyone can find it.. hunting is here, and i about sliced my index finger off on my shooting hand, not sure if I will be able to use the Tab when and If it heals enough..
"It is what it is,improvise, adapt, and get it done!"

Hunter's moon 49@28"
1973 Kodiak Hunter 55#@28"
1970 Kodiak Hunter 50#@28"
1970 Super Kodiak 45#@28"
1965 Kodiak magnum 47#@28"

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
The easiest way would be to pm Mudd. He is a good guy and I'm sure he will help you.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
I tried to use one when I messed up my hand but couldn't get the hang of it.
David M. Conroy

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Have a friend who shoots a thumb ring with a loop on the string.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »

Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
To try and shoot 64#s with the one Mudd designed you better have some strong hands. I believe WildmanSC shoots with a trigger type release. I would thing off a loop it would not be that hard to adjust too. Probably a couple hours. I too have a couple bows around 53#s that you could borrow and matched arrows as well. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
That looks like a very "traditional style" release to me.  I may have to look into something similiar as I have some jacked up, arthritic fingers myself.  Keep dropping in bow weight to still keep flinging arrows for now though.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
Bob Morrison is also a resource for this topic as he shoots with a release. Some people have no choice if they want to continue shooting.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I hooked up a trigger style one year when I had a cast on my hand. It only took one cold day to put an end to that season. It took hours for my hand to warm up all the way again. Those fiberglass casts get cold!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Iron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
Thanks, that sure gets me going in the right direction...now when i see the doctor tomorrow maybe i can get him on board  ;)
"It is what it is,improvise, adapt, and get it done!"

Hunter's moon 49@28"
1973 Kodiak Hunter 55#@28"
1970 Kodiak Hunter 50#@28"
1970 Super Kodiak 45#@28"
1965 Kodiak magnum 47#@28"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I don't have a bow that's as heavy as 64# but here I am shooting my WS 66" and 57@28.

For accuracy:

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Paul, I was wondering how you were making out with this. Were you able to get lighter limbs, or get a release aid?

Nice videos Mudd. That release seems to work well.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
non-mechanical release aids have been around for millenniums, let alone centuries.  there are basically two types, ledge and finger pressure.  i've used both for more than a few decades, in recurve unlimited competition.

all ledge releases are loosely based on the asiatic thumb ring, where the release catches the string and is held onto it by string pressure (during the draw) and leverage (the angle of the ledge).  changing the lever angle with a thumb or hand or wrist motion allows the release ledge to slip off the string.  the most popular, back in the 60's-70's was the "6-gold" release aid.

finger pressure release aids, such as the one mudd made, uses a flap of leather strap or thick cord wrapped once around the bowstring and the string hand thumb pinches the strap/rope tightly to prevent release.  lessening thumb pressure allows the string to slip free of the release strap/rope.  

in the late 60's i made and used a variation of the thumb rope release .  it used a 1/4" braid marine rope looped into a 1/2" id clear flex plastic tubing that was a good 3/4" od.  the rear of the tube used a round concho to hold the rope in place with a big knot.  the rope loop went around the bowstring and under the nock (as does with mudd's strap) and was held by the thumb to the side of the tubing.  where the rope met the tubing, the tubing was slightly dished by melting it with a hot 1/4" rod, so that the rope would somewhat lie within the dish - this provided added mechanical advantage for ease of drawing as less thumb pressure was required.  

any trigger activated release is mechanical, and there are simple but clever ways to combine a ledge and rope to create an effective mechanical release aid.

the chief benefit of a properly used and executed release aid is the "surprise" of the release - you never know when it's going off and therefore you don't anticipate the shot.  in addition, the small area of contact between the ledge or strap/rope makes for a very fast and clean release.

release aids look simple, but require far more adaptation and mental control than fingers on the bowstring.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©