Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: new bow owner with shooting question  (Read 579 times)

Offline nhunter70775

• Trad Bowhunter
new bow owner with shooting question
« on: October 13, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
I've been shooting for about a week now, every day 60-72 shots a day.
my groups are very good (I think), but they are high right.  I am looking at the "A" in Black Hole and all of my arrows hit in the area by the top right hand corner  stars.  I shot a lot of arrows at 15 yards and my arrows could all fit in a pretty tight circle, but they are all at the top right of the target even though I'm looking dead center at the "A" in black hole lettering.

I'm using the Samick Sage 55# bow and I'm shooting Feather Fletched Easton XX75 Aluminum Arrows 29" 1816 with 100g screw-in field points, Trueflight parabolic feathers with right-wing helical offset.  Said they are meant for 15 to 50 pounds (I couldn't find any cheap arrows in the 5 dollar each per complete arrow range for target practice in a higher poundage).  
I use three fingers under and wear an archery glove.  
back foot is parallel to target, front foot's about 45 degrees
My anchor point is corner of the mouth.
according to the "measure your wingspan and divide by 2.5" my draw should be 29 3/4"
I started at 5 yards using advice from several videos and have backed up one step at a time trying to do instinctive shooting.  I have backed up one step anytime I put 12/12 arrows in the target at a particular distance.  I've stopped at 15 yards because of my issue.
I'm shooting into a 18x16x11 Black Hole brand target.  

At 60-72 shots I have to stop shooting for the day because my right arm starts to fatigue. (did I get too much bow at 55#?).

I appreciate any assistance.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: new bow owner with shooting question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
If you've only been shooting for a week, it would be remarkable if your form were perfect, and there are all kinds of form problems that can cause shots to go off target.

But since you didn't mention any shooting problems, I'll stick to arrow issues.  You may be shooting too weak a spine, which would explain the right misses (you are a RH shooter?).  You could try 1916 or 2016 arrows, and see if that makes any difference.  Your nock point may be too low, which could explain the high misses.  For 3 under, a 3/4" nock point is common.

If you are able to shoot 60 shots a day, it would be hard to say you're overbowed.  But I don't know how well you're drawing and holding.  If it is comfortable for you to draw and hold your bow at full draw for 2-3 seconds, shot after shot, you're probably doing fine.

You might want to measure your draw length with a lightweight bow, just to see if it's closer to the 29 3/4" you think it should be, and to find out if you're short-drawing your bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline nhunter70775

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
Thanks, I am a right handed shooter.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Way underspined, hence right arrows. Unless you are a man mountain with muscles of steel 72 arrows/day for a new shooter is a lot. I'd work for less but quality arrows fully expanding on your shots and pulling through them.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Tomcaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
It could simply be your sight picture. If your aim point is consistant and arrow placement is consistant, change your aim point to accommodate. Try shooting less with particular attetion to form and concentrate on the sight picture.
I shoot a 55# recurve too. After a couple dozen arrows in a short time, my form will fade.
Rev 6:2

Offline nhunter70775

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
thanks for all the assistance.

Offline Potoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
I shoot a recurve and a compound. I begin during the summer shooting the recurve to build muscle strength and get good form. I usually always group high to the right until I 'tame' my little recurve...it takes real concentration and a light grip to finally start hitting where I'm aiming...when I get it right I move to the compound and they seem to zip in with rifle like accuracy. I anchor at the corner of my mouth but moving your anchor point or changing your grip will move the arrow. Thats an option worth trying.
Like it says on the can...'concentrate'

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I so happen to have 2016 arrows that I don't use, if your up for a trade let me know.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©