3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many Howard Hill Enthusiasts out there?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many Howard Hill Enthusiasts out there?
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
j-p, I read somewhere that Craig Eakin's personal bow is a Halfbreed. Since he makes 'em, I think I'll order one of those next.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
I have talked to Craig on several occasions and he changes bows quite often.
  J-P I find all the bows quite smooth,the Redman I have really impressed me though.It seemed as fast as some of my heavier bows.A couple of the other fellas I shoot with noticed it as well.I generally shoot arrows weighing between 700-750 grs.I keep telling myself to take all the bows out and take some pics,but I think I should wait until the wife is away.
   When you order from Craig you can really add the bells and whisles without sending you to the poor house.All my bows have tip and riser overlays,silver inlays and extra lams to make them different.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
After 10 years of longbows, I bought my first used Redman this summer (68" 50#@29" I draw it 30")and can't believe how I now want to shoot nothing else! My other longbows are slowly disapearing. I just ordered a takedown HH Cheetah a couple of weeks ago. I think some other longbows may look slightly better, but for me no other longbows shoot better.

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Nice lefty in the classifieds right now!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline restless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
I have a 70" 60lb Big five and a 66" 53lb Wesley take down. I love them and Im sure to add at least one more.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
missed out on this one... been busy running errands.    I currently have about two dozen Hills... I have all but one of the Sepecial Edition bows... the Commemorative... still looking for that one.   Got my Jungle Cat today... gorgeous.    I hope to feature all of the special editions on the 2008 Hill calendar, if i can get info and a Commemorative pic from Craig.

Still waiting anxiously for #1 of the Lonbbowman's Classic... several days overdue now...  :^(

If any on this tread are unaware of it, do check out the Longbowman's web site at:

www.howardhilllongbowmen.com

you're also invited to join the HHL email list... instructions on the site.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
I have W/S 50@27 and 55@27 and 60@27,65@27 been shootting hill bows for 22yr just kill a cow elk w/ the 60lb @27 use 2117 with a woodman in one side out the other and the bow name is gutpile
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
here's a pic of some of my collection... was the cover of this year's calendar

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
OH, yeah... since the original question was how many Hill enthusiasts out there... there are currently 110 on the Hill Longbowmen email list...

Dick
Dick in Seattle

Offline JRH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
Redman 66" 64#@28 is the only bow I own now... Sold the rest.  Craig is great!
A dowg that's in the hunt don't know he's got flea's....
JRH
Goose Creek SC.
Jeremiah. 29:11

Offline c ott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
I'm one of 'em Dick. I plan on posting here pretty soon. You've done a great job with the site too. I have 4 Hills but my go to is a 66" Halfbreed. I'm just about at the point that I don't even shoot anything else. It doesn't do any good anyway, since I always get sucked back in by them in short order. Once you get bit you might as well just give it up.

Offline c ott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
Robert, thanks for posting the pics. of the Bearcub. I've been thinking about calling Craig about one for my 6 year old, and the photos were helpful in seeing the size of the grip which I have been wondering about. How does your boy like it?

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
Dick Tell me more about the Hill Longbowmen email list. I here Craig is using Black carbon for back & belly? I'd love to see one with a broad head inlay now how cool is that. Mike   :saywhat:
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »
Mike....   the instructions for joining the list are on the site, or you can send me a direct email and I'll put you on:

[email protected]

We have an inlay of the early Hill broadhead as a standard feature of the Longbowman's Choice... a model Craig makes only for members of the list.    There is a link on the web site that will take you to a page full of pictures... it's quite a bow.   We kind of group designed it on the list.   My own, #1, is 66" and 45# @ 25", outer lams of osage, inner lams of bamboo with a cocobolo lam for accent and an inside carbon lam.

I have tried several bows with outer lams of carbon and don't really like it.  To me, and this may be just because of my short draw, it stiffens up the power curve too much... you get the same draw and weight, but it starts out heavier so over the course of the draw, however many inches it is, you end up pulling more cumulative weight.   The carbon lam inside, per Craig, is not so much for speed as smoothness and increased bow life... stability.

In the final analysis, Craig will build whatever you want.   My current cause of anxiety (waiting) is another special Longbowman's Choice, but this one will be called the Longbowan's Classic... it's a Hill built like the old 50's Peason lemonwood bows... slender riser with no shelf... shoot off the hand, either right or left.   It was due here last week but I'm still waiting...

By all means join us on the lilst... lots of discussion of all things Hill...

Dick
Dick in Seattle

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2007, 06:57:00 AM »
Thanks for the Info. I will join for sure!   :thumbsup:
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline segolden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
Well, you can add another enthusiast to the mix! I bought a used Hill Big Five from another member of Dick's email list, and it's been hard to make me shoot any of my other bows since then. My wife, who's a die-hard compound addict, has now been bitten by the HH bug, and is saving for a Cheetah model! Nuff said, I think.   :D

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
segolden,  she will surely enjoy the Cheetah.  I have a 64 inch 55@26 with an extra lam of bamboo. Smooth as buttah and the juniper is crazy beautiful!!!

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline tadpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
I have a 68" 50@28 big five and I love it.  I am thinking about buying the HH bighorn ram model, has anybody shot one of those?

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
tadpole.... I"m guessing you mean the "Bighorn Sheep"... red elm?    One of the two models I have not run into (Crocodile is the other).    Red Elm is also used as the outer limbs on the Ruffed Grouse.  I have one of those and it both a beautiful bow and a very, very sweet shooter.    As far as performance goes, there is more difference based on the draw weight and length of bow that you choose than there is between models.   I wouldn't hesitate to buy any one of them.   I have a couple of Redman bows... all yew... and I can't see that they are noticeably slower than the all bamboo models.  Chronograph might make a liar of me, but in any event, speed differences are not startling.   If you get a Bighorn, I'd really appreciate a set of good photos... it's one model we don't have pictures of posted in the Showcase pages of the Longbowmen's web site.  

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

Offline redeemed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
had about all the other bows, and I keep coming back to the Hill....HMMMMMM

nothing runs like a deer(so I am told)
nothing shoots like a Hill(that I know)
no one saves like...JESUS !!!!! (prove me wrong)
JESUS LOVES ME THIS I KNOW!!!!

To God be the glory, great things He has done!!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©