Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: anybody have this problem?  (Read 558 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
anybody have this problem?
« on: October 30, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I may have a new problem here folks. Has any one here ever had their nose block their dominate eye from seeing the target? I anchor with my index finger behind my eye tooth and the angle my head is at puts my nose almost in the way of my dominant eye. its kinda annoying. anyone ever experience this? may have to switch anchors

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anybody have this problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Lee,  A picture would help.  The only way I can get my nose in the way of my dominate eye vision is to pull my head back toward my drawing shoulder.  That makes it harder for me to turn my head toward the target as far, so the nose is in the line of my sight.  It is fairly common for folks to let their head move back toward the drawing shoulder during the draw rather than letting it stay a little forward over the belt buckle and directly in line with their spine.  Just a thought.

PS.  Bring the anchor to you, do not "go to meet it."
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
Try leaning your head to the angle of the string instead of turning your head to the string..

Turning the head make you look over the nose.. leaning the head to mimic the string angle will produce much better results.
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Turn head to left and modify your anchor.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Probably a lot of people are experiencing what you are without realizing it.  I had cataract surgery several years ago, and since they don't want to do both eyes at the same time, you go through a period of time where you wear your glasses with one lens in and one lens out.  Makes it interesting to shoot, to say the least.  It's really obvious when your dominant eye becomes blocked by your nose.

What's not so obvious is that when both eyes are functioning normally, if your dominant eye becomes blocked, your other eye takes over, which can cause you to miss the target and you don't know why.

The answer is to rotate your head enough toward the target that your nose doesn't block your dominant eye from seeing the target.  That's the only answer (sorry Terry for the absolute, but it is).  If you can't rotate your head that much, then you have to stand more open to the target so you can.  Maybe it's not ideal to stand open to the target, but it's essential that you see the target with your dominant eye.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline lil red rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
I'm a right handed shooter, but left eye dominant with glasses.  I found that an anchor point farther back made me rotate my head so that it is perpendicular to the target.  It got everything out of the way, helped with depth perception, and the string doesn't touch my glasses.  I felt like it opened up a much better sight window.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©