Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: hitting left?  (Read 831 times)

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
hitting left?
« on: November 04, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Need help trying to figure out why I'm hitting left an inch at ten yards, about 2" at 20 and 5 or 6" at 25 and 30 yards.  I am shooting a 52 lb. @ 28" Black Widow and I draw 28.5".  My arrows are Arrow Dynamics Traditionals that are full length with 175 grain target point and steel collar.  My up and down trajectory is good just hitting left.  Do I need to cut these down or is this a form issue?  I have had a bad habit of dropping my bow arm.  How do I train to not drop the bow arm?  Thanks.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hitting left?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
If they are hitting left that means they are stiff for right handed shooter. If you are right handed I wouldn't cut them down that would make them stiffer. Try adding some more weight up front to weaken them. What does your bare shaft tell you?

Dropping your bow arm will make your arrows hit left if you are right handed. I would make sure you are getting good back tension and good follow through.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 01:44:00 AM »
Thanks shed hunter.  I don't want to add weight cause the broadheads I am shooting are 175 grain.  I may need to switch arrows entirely.  I'm pretty sure it is dropping my bow arm.  I have a recurring bad habit of that.  Bare shaft is inconclusive, but Arrow Dynamics arrows are notorious for not bare shafting well.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 04:03:00 AM »
Gary....I shoot AD Trad "Lites"...out of bows ranging from 44-54#.  I think the regular AD Trad's are a little stiff for your setup. I agree with shed hunter....start adding weight up front, you might also raise your brace height some.  Definitely don't cut them as you'll just be making them stiffer.  Hope this helps and good luck.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline dixiearcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Well I am no expert but I have had the same problem...for me it is plucking the string. I know if I am hitting left I am plucking my hand away from my face. If I concentrate on my release and touch my back shoulder with my hand after I release, I hit dead on every time...
Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten
-Count von Zinzendorf

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
If you don't want change arrow you get some brass weighted inserts and just change them. You could also raise your brace height like Green said.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
Thanks all!  I have been wanting to tune to my 175 grain tigershark broadheads and I have AD trad lites that show weak with that much weight up front.  I think it is my form that I need to work on.  Either dropping the bow arm or plucking the string.  The AD trad lites shoot great with 125 grains up front.  Back to work on my form.  Thanks.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
If you happen to have a thick strike plate (on the vertical section of the riser) you can replace it with a thinner one and get your impact point to move to the right. If you are not already at the upper range of bowyers reccomendation, raise your brace height by a couple or 3 string twists at a time, check a few shots as you go and you will move your impact point to the right as well. I would try raising the brace height first.

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
I struggled with this for three years. Tried lighter, heaver spine,brace height. I found that raising my head a little or making a constant effort to keep my anchor in tight will move the arrow to the right. Both were not part of my natural shot. I read somewhere to touch your thumb and little finger nail together. This did not work for me, but then I read Dick Palmer say the same thing. Decided to give it another try, still couldn't get it. For me thumb to little finger knuckle is what fixed the left problem. Sorry for the long post just wanted to explain the order of what happened to me. Not saying I am a good shot, now I hit the right just as much as I do to the left.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
If your worried that you might be dropping your bow arm, take a video of yourself shooting from different angles and that will tell the story. Now if you find that you are dropping your bow arm then just do some blank bale shooting and that should take care of it.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©