Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: PROBLEMS blending String Alignment w/ Gap Shooting  (Read 646 times)

Offline p3ngu1n5

• Trad Bowhunter
PROBLEMS blending String Alignment w/ Gap Shooting
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Dear Gang,
I and my family are big fans. My daughters, 7 & 17, started archery after reading many of the post. My wife is also following suit. Thank you for your contribution to the world of arhcery and to my family.
There is an area in Gap Shooting that I have a problem with. I shoot Fred Bear Recurve Super Mag 48 with a "clicker" for proper expansion. Bare shaft and paper testing shows that my arrow spine and nocking point are perfect.
My sight picture is as such: straight down the arrow, gap between point and target, string alignment is directly to the right of arrow, & string alignment is middle of limb (center of bow), anchor is under bridge of jaw (I am competition shooter), bow held verticle, minimal grip- bow jump foward, and draw hand follow through to back of neck/shoulder. Yet I am getting a tight group far left of intended target. I would rather not Kentucky Wind the point. When I try to find a new home for the string alignment in order to land the arrows where intended, I have to cross the alignment over to the far left of the arrow point. Is the problem with string alignment?
Also can someone explain to me when gap shooting is taught, what is formal for the string alignment placement? Everywhere I have read it states "immediatley right of the arrow tip."
Sincerely, Willing to Learn.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PROBLEMS blending String Alignment w/ Gap Shooting
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
p3... ,  I believe that you may be trying to combine a couple items that may not work too well together.  Your description sounds good but I have to ask where your string is at full draw in relation to your eye not your bow?  The string alignment you describe is used for setting up a bow with an adjustable side plate (plunger) and that works for initial setup of your bow -- you can add or subtract thickness of your strike plate.  But that is all really for initial set up not for the actual shooting.

Next, you describe a target style form which is fine, but you may be experiencing difficulties with the 48" bow you are using.  With the under chin target anchor, the string should sit at the corner of your chin and lightly on the tip of your nose at full draw.  The super Magnum will have a severe string angle there and will probably not touch your nose which can be thought of as a reference point.  Bear really didn't manufacture the Super Mag for this style.

All that said, if your groups are good which it sound like they are,  I would suggest looking to what you can see of the string position at full draw.  It seems to me that you will see the string to the right (you are looking down the left side of the string) and you may need to try to adjust your anchor position in a little deeper under your jaw.  Also you may want to get someone or a camera to look from the front as much as possible to see where the string passes in relation to your nose.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline p3ngu1n5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
Thanks Moebow,
Carefully considering, yes I do torque the string to force my normal anchor. I will work and practice implementing your advice ASAP; especially a new anchor point. Thank you for your insight. In the last tip you gave, are you recommending that I should be looking at the string from the left side of the string? Thank you again, P3.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Very close to the left side if not through the string for right handed.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©