Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: fitness and shooting ?  (Read 1014 times)

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
fitness and shooting ?
« on: November 17, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
Well I have switched jobs from a Investigator(on my but most of the time) to a more physical manual labor job(better money and sanity). I have noticed that I cut about 25lbs and toned up alot. My dilema is that I was shooting my 70# Hill fine when I had the lazy job and now that I am better physicaly (strenth and mind) I notice I am not as on the money as I was with my shots(I have the focus and picked spot)Im off about 6-8 inches or so in my normal shooting, even when I try and focus even harder it seams like something is out of place. I am going to go back and work on the form and draw and see what comes of it. But has thiss ever happened to any of you guys, and if so what was you fix. Thanks Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fitness and shooting ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
I am a competitive powerlifter and noticed that two days after I deadlift heavy I am unable to contract my scapula completely.  This results in me shooting consistently to the right.  I have been able to overcome this with the use of a foam roller, massage (when I am really tight), stretching and contrast showers.  Essentially, I was loosing ROM (range of motion) due to my back muscles being contracted and stiff.  Once I was able to find a way to keep them loose and free the problem went away.  But I need to make sure to stay with stretching routines. Anyway, maybe try some stretching and also warm the muscles up before shooting.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
Good advise.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
+1 with what Tutanka said!!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
One thing that hasn't been mentioned.....salt.

One one has a sit down job in an office or whatever, one doesn't sweat.

But, when I had my own company and worked outside, I sweated a lot. I lost just not fluids, but salt was well. Because of this, I was always  a little fatigued and my body let me know it.

I took some salt pills with me everyday I was outside and consumed them when needed.

After drinking plenty of water and a few salt tablets, my body didn't give me the feeling "something just wasn't right".

Food for thought.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
Being in better shape will pay off.  Keep shooting your bow - but be careful and smart about it.  Strength in my opinion is the greatest asset to form and accuracy.  But it takes some real dedication.  You will shoot better and you will hunt better.  Off bow exercises help - warm ups etc. good idea.  No brain-no-gain.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
This might be a Silly Question  :rolleyes:  , but  HOW  do you Know when you Need a Salt Tablet?? Have Never taken them before, but I dont just Perspire, I Sweat like a Pig in the Heat!!   :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
**Just a thought**

Often times the stronger indivuals are some of the tougher to train. They may be used to muscling thru the shot execution thus introducing error vs utilizing the minimum number of correct muscles and proper alignment.

Could it be possible that your new found strength is permitting you to rely more on the incorrect muscles and masking compromised alignment while impeding a fluid unidirectional release?
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 01:19:00 AM »
IMHO, you cannot continue in traditional archery without physically training for the act of shooting a bow. It is a martial art, the same as boxing, mauy tai, wrestling, etc. No, you dont have to be a powerlifter or fighter, but, you do have to make the effort to keep physically strong and flexible.

if you doubt this, just go over to PowWow and search"shoulder injuries" . train hard, play hard, survive.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
Personally, I think your problem maybe due to recovery. Your body is telling you that you have not fully recovered from your physical job duties before you shoot. There are things that can aid in recovery including diet, rest, stretching, yoga can be huge, and massage. Some athletes also believe in cold baths (but I have not dared try that one).

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Back 40 years ago in Marine Corps bootcamp, I shot pretty well on the rifle range so they let me try out for the USMC rifle team.  I didn't make it, but noticed that the members on the team at that time were all generally overweight (by USMC standards; I'm sure they would look thin by comparison with today's population), and they also enjoyed drinking a fair amount of beer, etc., at night.  I've also noticed that many of the best shooters at the archery tournaments I attend these days tend to the heavy side.  I've noticed that when I go on a fitness binge and lose weight and tone up my muscles (or what passes for a fitness binge for a 67 year-old guy), my shooting suffers.

My conclusion is that a certain amount of bulk probably stabilizes the shot, whether rifle or bow.  Exactly how a hang-over might help, I haven't figured out yet.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Your center of gravity is higher now so you have a less stable platform.  

When you had a butt like a punching bozo you always bobbed up straight.    :biglaugh:  

Drinking more coffee now?  Less?  Focusing on the spot or current issues & loose ends?  Definately work on form.  When mine falters it is invariably my drawing elbow going high or low or moving my bow arm at the shot.  Clear your mind and focus.

And good luck with the new job!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by duncan idaho:
IMHO, you cannot continue in traditional archery without physically training for the act of shooting a bow. It is a martial art, the same as boxing, mauy tai, wrestling, etc. No, you dont have to be a powerlifter or fighter, but, you do have to make the effort to keep physically strong and flexible.

if you doubt this, just go over to PowWow and search"shoulder injuries" . train hard, play hard, survive.
I agree 1000% every person that excells in a sport that requires strength trains for strength outside the sport.

I'm 60 two days a week Mon and Thurs I walk about two to three miles and every 1/8th mile I do 50 pushups until I get at least 300 done.
Tuesday and friday I use a water rower for atleast 30 minutes.

40 years of shooting 65-70 lb bows no shoulder problems and I can draw them with ease

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
I'm a former us marine and currently a 53 year old machinist..my body has been through a lot of changes over the years..and when major body changes take place?..form changes take place...also?..some days i sit on my butt programming and baby sitting 3D cnc milling centers...other days?..i'm crank'in my azz off on manual mills/lathes..and yet other days?..i'm doing crazy labor intensive crap like rigging and moving machines..the only constant?..I shoot/practice every night..and those crazy days when i come home spent and exhausted?..usually shows up on the targets...and not in a good way..it also affects wether i practice for 2 hours or 20 minutes..give yourself a lil time to settle into the new job and the new you..also?..is your mind free of clutter?..any anxioty with the career change?..cause mental issues can screw me up just as bad as physical ones...sometimes worse.
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

and i know that's true cause as a younger man i usta call'em a "pull-n-pray"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
Salt is definitely not the answer, it has been linked to thinning of the veins and arteries = strokes. Unless one really works really hard and sweats really, really bad one usually gets enough salt from the foods one eats.

Stretching is very good !, but one must do the correct stretching for the movement it is intended for, but all stretching is good.  If your going to stretch, it is not easy to do with extra weight on one's body.

I do not do hard work, but I work long hours and at crazy times, I try and stretch whenever I get the chance, and walk/run also, (very good for you !). Though I don't shoot heavy weight bows I can shoot heavy enough bows to get the job done and be able to shoot all day long with the best of them.

The trick is to remain as active as one could every day.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©