Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What is the one single thing that has helped your shooting?  (Read 7147 times)

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the one single thing that has helped your shooting?
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Acquired a willing, skilled, competent, motivated and patient mentor of which I am committed to both listen- to and ardently strive to apply feedback during all shooting sessions.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
Understanding that nobody hits the target by trying not to miss.

Also if you aim for a rabbit's head you may miss. If you aim for the center of the rabbit's eye you will hit its head.   :goldtooth:
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Re-adjusting my grip for sure helped me. Before I was holding the bow like I would grip the handle of a knife, but now after seeing several posts about the proper grip being the base of the thumb and keeping the handle near the lifeline and the thumb knuckle on the side of the handle it helped tremendously.

I was grouping to the left of the target consistently (hitting the shoulder and neck area of my 3d deer) and now the arrows are hitting where I want them to!
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Well, the one most important thing was dropping bow weight (to 45lbs).  However, I watched some Rick Welch vids and started really working on developing a secondary anchor (I shoot split, though, so I don't use the feather to the nose thing) and consciously pausing at full draw.  I also went to a vertical bow, which makes it easier for me to consistently repeat everything.  Along with all of this, I went to lighter arrows (8-9 grains per lb. instead of 11-12 grns.); this made me much more consistent at longer ranges.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
Overall, I had to completely rebuild my form. I knew it. Once I got willing, I understood that strength to pull the bow was paramount. If you can't control the bow...you can't execute a good shot. I wasn't willing to drop a single pound in bow weight. I spent a month shooting at 5 yards. 65# longbow...full draw...anchor...shoot. No concern on accuracy, and I mean that. I did nothing but form shoot and build strength for 3 solid months, always refusing to pay any attention to where the arrow hit.

I got to where I could slow draw my 65# longbow to full draw and hold it. Clean release and follow-through. The funny thing was this: Despite steadfastly refusing to care where ANY arrow hit the butt, I found myself shooting 5-arrow groups which got tighter and smaller each week. I had to increase distance just to prevent crashing arrows. As long as I shot with 100% focus on form, the accuracy was automatically there.

I still follow this philosophy today. I shoot with a tremendous degree of confidence and control. I get ALL of my bow's power into the shot. I can slow draw on a moose or a whitetail, and feel no urgency to get the shot over with.

I'd like to also add this: An accomplished shooter once explained to me that he had no cares about his acuracy. Where the arrow hit did not worry him. It was simply a RESULT of his shooting. If it didn't hit where he intended, then he had to do something different. He was very analytical and unemotional about his accuracy. A complete miss would produce no negativity...just an acknowledgement that he had to work on his shooting form. He was the BEST recurve shooter I've ever watched, and I learned from that. I no longer shoot for accuracy or care where my arrow hits in practice. I just try to always use excellent form and forget the rest of it. I've never shot better in my life...never felt more comfortable with my heavier bows.
I thought this needed repeating.  :^)  Fantastic stuff in there.

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Good stuff, great discipline!
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
I have been shooting a longbow for about four years, but first started this post a little over a year ago. Since that time my accuracy has doubled in only a years time. I contribute that success to my passion for tradtional archery, which has given me great disipline that has again push me to become a better archer. I love shooting my bow!!

It's been tough to stay at it through thick and thin, through lifes trouble and still find the time to shoot. I have five kids, two business, and a loving wife. We as men, need our hobbies in order to keep our sanity, call it what you will, but you know what I mean!

Archery is a great skill, and just like every skill there is a learning phase, usually 3 to 4 years, journeyman, and then a new skill is born,. I read something several months ago that there's and old mongolian saying that says, forget about archery for a day, and it forgets about your for 10 days. I have found this to be true, I try to practice at least, every other day. Point being, it kind of like loosing weight, it needs to be a way of life to make it permanent.  

Stay with it, tweek it, keep and open mind, study other archers, it will come. I don't know who invented this site, but my hats are off to you, thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Thanks
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Two things: 1) using a form master religiously; and 2) switching to a tab after using a glove for 30 years.

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2012, 02:08:00 AM »
Best thing I have done to help my shooting has been to take Rick Welches class. Also, paying attention to what some of the more experienced shooter on Tradgang have advised. I've learned a lot form Terry Green's and Moebows comments.

Offline Sticks2117

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
Hands down the formaster. It has taught me how to pull through
Big Jims Thunderchild 53# @ 26"
Zbow Z58 TD hunter 55# @ 27" (RIP)
Ferguson Patriot by Bear 55#@28
Ferguson Redhawk 66" 60# @ 28
GN Critter Gitter 60#@28
LM North American Hunting Club
Wisconsin Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2012, 01:58:00 AM »
becoming ambidextrous improved my archery more than anything.refined my form by unilateral application.keeps the injuries away that come from one sided repetition.. and i'm always building strenght,progessing,and keeping the old injuries at bay.

Offline twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
Shooting at 3 yards,

Offline So-Mo Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
There are two things of equal importance to my shooting.

First, was switching to 3 under from split finger. This has allowed me to anchor more cleanly and set my sight picture more consistently.

Second, was developing a consistent double anchor (middle finger to corner of mouth and thumb joint in the angle of my jaw). This gives me a solid, reliable anchor point, and has boosted my accuracy from "who knows where it went" to 4 inch groups at 20 yards. I am cross-eye dominant, so any improvement in anchor and alignment is a blessing.

***Another thing that has helped is Rick Welch's motto from his website:  How far is that? Don't know. Don't care. This has made me trust my form and sight more, and more often than not, I hit near my mark!
Matt

Ben Pearson Rogue, 55 @ 28
SoMo Red Warrior, 47 @ 28
Compton's
NCBA
NCWRC Hunters Ed Instructor
"The shortest answer is to do the thing!" - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Kevin Dill said it, Jim Casto Jr. repeated it & its that way for me. Slow,determined practice and the results just come. This is why I checked out Trad Gang to start with. Some times I just need to start from scratch to make it new again. Lots of good thoughts here.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
Moebow critiqued my form and helped me fix four big errors.  He opened my eyes to the importance of form.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
Understanding this:
You can't hit something by trying not to miss.
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
The single best thing was attending Rod Jenkins clinic last weekend in Santa Fe. Best money I ever spent on archery.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
Rick Welch's class and taking good notes while I was
there.
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline ArrowCraCra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
Rod Jenkins clinic
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Memorizing a borrowed Rick Welch volume II. Even the hog hunting parts......RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©