Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Form video (Updated)  (Read 737 times)

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
Form video (Updated)
« on: November 23, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
Any help will be awesome. It feels like Im pretty close to proper alignment. I have a hard time holding my bow arm up with the mass weight of the Schafer.

Facing me

Above me

Thanks Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form video (Updated)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
You are creeping forward before release.....this is where you are loosing your alignment and starting to 'muscle' the bow, causing your bow arm to drop.

You do look to be close to good alignment before the collapse....if you video again, try to back the camera up a few more feet.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Thanks Terry. Ill have to video tape out side so I have more room.

Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
I agree with Terry.  Also on the overhead view, when you draw, your shoulder stays completely stationary.  This tells me that you are pulling the bow just with arm muscles and there are no back muscles involved.  Ideally, when you draw, that string arm shoulder will move back.  This (If you try it)will force more back muscle into the shot and might help with your collapse and bow arm.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
Here"s an update.

2 different views from above in this video.

When I tried to get rid of the creep it helped my bow arm.

Thanks Guys, Schafer

66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
OK....if you watch the 1st angle...you will still see the forward creep...its a very quick short movement forward.

On the 2nd angle I see less forward creep...but there are inconsistencies.....what I think you should do is 'learn the shot' before you 'learn to shoot'...

Get up close and don't worry about where the arrow goes...concentrate on the draw, slow that down for now,....way down, concentrate on getting to full draw and retaining rearward tension even after securing anchor...and then just letting go of the string.  Again, slow everything down for now so you can deliberately focus on what you need to do.

I like to close my eyes when I do bail work...keeps me from being distracted by any outside influence....you need to do this for two weeks not aiming at anything, and 'groove in' your anchor and alignment.  

After two weeks spend a few shooting sessions while aiming at close distanced to gain confidence in your form....after a few sessions, shoot a few more sessions on the bail.  

Do only bail work the next day, then both the next....do this for two more weeks and see how much you improve.

Once you get it all grooved in, you can do bail work every week or two, or when ever you feel your form is drifting.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
Thanks Terry.

Schafer

66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
According to your bow list, the Schafer is the heaviest draw weight bow you have. It might be the draw weight that is making you release fast. When you draw let everything settle down for a couple of seconds before release. Also when you draw don't lean into it, bring the string to your anchor point without moving your head in, I'm not saying not to tilt your head to the cant of your bow.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Thanks everynone for the insight. Ill post back in a couple days with a new video. Hopefully with some progress.

Schafer

66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Well it's been a while of practicing and I'm finally making some solid progress. I'm not going to say I was over bowed with the Silvertip because the weight wasn't much of a problem, but I think that I knew from the beginning it was to much for me it was just to awesome not to shoot( guess I should have listened to my dad    :knothead:   ).

However after some of the shoulder problems I had in the past finally fell back on me, I decided to switch back to my Black Widow PSR. This allowed me to really focus on my form and in the last couple of days sense the switch in bows my form has improved a lot. One thing I noticed also is that it seems like I have a slightly longer draw which makes me think that my creeping issue that I had is almost gone.

Ill try to post up some more videos on Wednesday or Thursday.

Thanks Schafer

66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©