Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Under drawing (2 questions here)  (Read 1077 times)

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
Under drawing (2 questions here)
« on: November 25, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
I find myself more and more often under drawing my recurves. When I do, obvious things occur such as low shots.
For the longest time I didn't realize I was under drawing because I always reached anchor. Today I realized, I am bending my bow arm more and more to always make that anchor.
Now I am NOT doing this intentionally. Just happen to finally take note of my form once I started to shoot low again.
After 7 years of shooting a curve....I have to question myself....am I over bowed? I only shoot 50#. All 3 of my bows are 50#.
So the questions:
1) Any one here have any suggestions at to go about stopping the under draw?
Whenever I focus on a "straighter" bow arm (not locked), I lose focus on the target and shoot poorly to say the least.
2) What poundage are you shooting?
I am concerned about dropping my poundage. I don't feel comfortable shooting a deer with 40-45#.
Thanks in advance for any help.
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Under drawing (2 questions here)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Oh and I failed to mention...I also don't hold before a shot. I do the single fluid motion shooting style. So being as I don't hold...I don't take the extra second to "check" my form.
Im at a loss here. I love shooting. But I feel like I'm shooter worse and worse. Need help.
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Stop thinking that you are done when you reach anchor.
1. Focus more on initiating the draw with your back.
2. Keep that back engaged throughout the draw.
3. Try to use locking your back as your anchor first, then secondary anchor to your face.
What you are trying to accomplish is that you feel strong on the shot. You can't do that if you have tension in your arms. Tension in your arms means there is little to no tension in your back. When you use the arms to do the work, it becomes easier to collapse on the shot.
You need to be in a strong position to move from anchor to conclusion, there is no way to have a dynamic release if you are collapsing.
It wouldn't hurt to try a lighter bow for practice. As far as killing a deer, you should be more concerned with using proper form which will help kill a deer more so than any draw weight. Personally I have killed more deer with a 45 than anything else. Like anything else, Proper form, Razor Sharp Broadhead, Well tuned bow and arrow combination is the path to success.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Just read that you use the fluid motion. I can almost guarantee that there is little or no back used in your draw. You probably don't get the back involved until you get close to your position to draw, not good in my book.

Offline 2madjacks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Sounds like you may try hitting the blind bale. Eyes closed and only focus on form, forget the target until you get your form burned into your muscle/bone/brain again. Good luck

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
form master will help
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
For practice you should try to draw and anchor and hold for three seconds. Remember it's just practice. If you can't do this comfortably you are over-bowed. To shoot successfully you need to be solid at full draw, if the bow is winning the fight, your form has lost.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Many of us out there fall into a shooting slump sometimes... Simple answer... You MUST keep the Push/Pull action up! As stated above, use your back and shoulder muscles to do the work. Push with the bow hand, pull with the string side back muscles using you hand as a hook...

When you get to anchor, keep back tension up and watch your arrow fly to the target (in your minds eye) then let her rip! This will only take a fraction of a second to do... "Become The Arrow!"

... mike ...

* Oh yea... I like to shoot and hunt with 47-50# @ 26" draw. *
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
you might get more help if you posted this in the shooting section, just trying to help.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
Stop thinking that you are done when you reach anchor.
1. Focus more on initiating the draw with your back.
2. Keep that back engaged throughout the draw.
3. Try to use locking your back as your anchor first, then secondary anchor to your face.
What you are trying to accomplish is that you feel strong on the shot. You can't do that if you have tension in your arms. Tension in your arms means there is little to no tension in your back. When you use the arms to do the work, it becomes easier to collapse on the shot.
You need to be in a strong position to move from anchor to conclusion, there is no way to have a dynamic release if you are collapsing.
It wouldn't hurt to try a lighter bow for practice. As far as killing a deer, you should be more concerned with using proper form which will help kill a deer more so than any draw weight. Personally I have killed more deer with a 45 than anything else. Like anything else, Proper form, Razor Sharp Broadhead, Well tuned bow and arrow combination is the path to success.
I think this sums it up pretty well!

Bisch

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
How do I go about utilizing by back muscles? I am afraid I have acquired bad form for a very long time. I had no one to teach me when I started. I am the only archer in the family.
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
When I find myseld short drawing I purposly hold at full draw for a second or two for a few shots. That usually gets me back on track again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
Build some strength.  There are a number of ways to do it.  Strength will greatly help.  You will then be in control.  Unless you have an injury, do not drop you bow weight - work up!

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I 2nd the BLIND BALE shooting suggestion....stay with it until you're past this problem.....no worries about where the arrow hits.....it's strictly working on form and mechanics.....concentrate on drawing, anchor and release with eyes closed....good luck

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
Welp Im gonna work on it. Gonna work the "blind bale" and work up the back muscles. I just dont want to drop bow weight for a few reasons; the first is another bow cost money and the second is I just dont want to.
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
If you use the blank bale, instead of doing the swing draw, hold the bow out in front of you and squeeze your back rhomboid muscles, to understand the feeling, grab your hands in front of you and pull, you should feel it in your back, if you feel in only in the shoulders you are doing it wrong. By getting your back involved early in the draw, it is easier to maintain that throughout the shot sequence.

As far as a drop down in weight, you can make a pvc bow, lots of how to's on youtube. It will cost next to nothing and give you a great warmup bow. It's important to know how a shot sequence is supposed to feel like. You can do this by blind bale or using a light weight bow.
But if you can't handle the bow weight, your form will never develop.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
I was doing this for awhile as well.  It was causing me to miss left as my arrows were then overspined when I had a bend in my bow arm.  I now lock out my bow arm as Ricky Welch recommends.  My elbow doesn't hyperextend so I am able to do this and not have string slap.  With a straight (locked out) bow arm and consistent anchor point you will have a consistent draw length.  I might add that I do hold at full draw for a couple seconds or more so it may not work for you.  Good luck.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
One other thing - check your fingers.  If your glove or tab causes your fingers to hurt, you will release the string with that pain .  A heaver glove or tab may be a cure.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©