Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Arrow goes to the left of the target, why?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline tsissar

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow goes to the left of the target, why?
« on: December 04, 2011, 04:37:00 AM »
I've noticed that lately I have developed a pattern when I shoot my arrows go to the left of the target. What can I do to correct it?
Oh I am shooting right hand - hold bow in the left hand.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow goes to the left of the target, why?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
Make sure you are following through, that you are holding your bow arm up as you watch the arrow fly to the spot you were aiming at. Try for as little movement as possible upon release, until the arrow hits it's mark.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
It could be that your arrows are overspined or that you are either plucking the string or moving your bow arm.
James Kerr

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
If your arrows are the correct spine you are probably just losing tension at your anchor.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
I am having the same problem except the opposite direction since I am a lefty.  I notice this more if I shoot three under versus split finger. I hope I can find a solution.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
There are many factors that cause hitting left.

An easy and yet common issue to correct is if you see the arrow actually moving from right to left as it approaches the target. A very good indicator that arrow at anchor is not under your eye.

Perform a search 'Hitting Left'. This subject has been covered many...many times.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline tsissar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
Thank you guys.

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
I had this very same problem a while back and this is how I fixed it.

I usually practice everyday, and at the start of every practice I noticed my arrows would go to the left of where I was aiming. But then, two or three rounds into my practice I would start focusing on my release, and my arrows would start hitting where I was aiming. So I surmised that the problem was my release, and I started putting extra effort into perfecting a clean release. But then later on, I noticed that I had to maintain an almost a perfect release on every shot, or my arrows would go to the left.

Then sometime later, I ran across OL Adcock’s website,     http://bowmaker.net/tuning.htm     and read his recommended method of tuning arrows shafts. I’m not going to go into his full procedure, but one of the things he recommends is that you back off as far as you can, with the biggest/widest/nastiest broadheads possible, and shoot from the farthest distance you can, and observe the flight of your arrow, and the point of impact in relation to where your aiming, will really show you how well tuned your arrows are.

So, I bought some 3 blade Woodsmans from 3 Rivers, and backed off 35 yards, and my arrows in flight looked like I just threw a curve ball and was hitting to the left of where I was aiming every shot. No matter how hard I tried, the arrows would do pretty much what they wanted to do.

It was obvious to me that my arrows were not tuned properly, and the broadheads where magnifying my problems. So, I ordered up more broadheads in different weights and after playing around a bit with different weights, I only needed to move up 25gr. in weight to weaken the spine just a tad to fix the problem, and man what a difference. Broadheads would hit where I was aiming and the field points where even better.

Moral of the story, If your arrows are tuned perfectly, they will be more forgiving when you screw up on your release, or torque your bow. If not, they will magnify the problem!

For me, it was a combination of being over spined, and a poor release. I never realized that 25 grains could make such a difference. But when you are tuning your arrows with field tips, it’s almost impossible to see a difference in just 25 grains, you can see 50, but not 25.

If you know, that you know, that you know that you’re arrows are perfectly tuned, then that’s one element in the matrix of your shooting sequence you won’t have to worry about when there’s a problem.

Just my opinion I could be wrong!
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline gretchen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
You're arrows a too stiff..... Almost always right means stiff.

Dewayne
Lord help me when I aim!!

Offline gretchen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
You're arrows a too stiff..... Arrows to the left Not the right means stiff...

Dewayne
Lord help me when I aim!!

Offline chuckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
i agree!
2010 ASA  
TRADITIONAL
WORLD CHAMP

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
If spine is good you are not pulling through using your back muscles thus plucking the string. Make sure you use a deep hook and pull all the way through with the back muscles. Do soem blind bale work and some formaster work.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
I have been experiencing the same problem shooting a 2018 shaft, 30.5 inches out of my new Predator 45# recurve with a 125 grain point which honestly surprised me....hate to have to drop down to a 2016 shaft - but I think the solution might be to go UP to say a 145 gr point now - which would prob more closely match my 125 gr Snuffers with the glue-in inserts honestly. It's te only thing I can think of - tho sometimes I DO manage to get a bulls eye still...but think that my 2018's might still be too stiff...
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

"Bless are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." (5:7)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
If I miss left, its because I did not acquire back tension.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
Arrows to stiff, go to a heavier weight up front, had the same problem, added more weight with each shot until arrow flew straight. Now shoot 250 field point and broadhead and arrows fly like darts. Bow is A&H longbow 47@28, 64 long. Arrows are Arrow Dynamices Trad Lights at 28 3/4.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
I had this issue creep up on me and it was due to my release. I worked on making it more dynamic and that was it.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Cant your bow more.. it is possible your eye is not right over your arrow? I am by no means a seasoned trad archer but I had the same problem and this fixed it. Thanks Bryon Ferguson
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
I have this issue too. I just tried canting the bow slightly(between 12 and 1 o'clock)and my arrows now go straight to target. This works not only with my longbow off the shelf, but with my recurve w/ NAP centerest too.   :archer:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Giovanni

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 01:46:00 AM »
When I first start shooting , all of my arrows are flying straight. As I get tired after shooting alot of arrows, I find my arrows start flying to the left. If i pluck the string my arrows fly to the right, upper or lower. I really feel that it has do more with the back muscles tiring, and that will mess up a good anchor. With a lighter poundage bow I can shoot for a longer period of time before this happens, a heavier poundage bow it will happen faster. When this happens I put the bow away, and shoot the following day. Same thing , bullseyes at first followed by arrrows to the left. I feel the more you practice, and give your back muscles time to rest, the less this will happen. but if your shooting bullseyes with a particular arrow from the get go, I don't think that it has to do anything with arrow spine. Sometimes the cheap arrows work the best.

Offline tsissar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Thank you guys for the great responses.
I will try and fix what I can with my back muscles :-) and than look into arrows, cause I have no idea how to make these "premade" arrows more flexible.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©