Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Form advice.....please  (Read 651 times)

Offline paul87250

• Trad Bowhunter
Form advice.....please
« on: December 09, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
I would be really gratefull if some of you would be kind enough to comment on my stance, I think I'm on the right track after reading the threads on Terry's form clock, thanks in advance.  
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28"

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form advice.....please
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
Paul,  Looks very good to me from what I can see. Really good overall alignment.  You might try to relax that bow hand a little by just letting your fingers down on the bow's back.  See how the tendons stick out on the back of your hand?  The fingers sticking out like that causes you to have to "catch" the bow on release, an additional motion that really isn't needed.  Just an idea to try.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
You are just about perfect!!!

As Arne mentioned you may want to change your grip on the bow a little. In addition to what Arne said,a 45 degree or more angle as viewing the left hand portion of the grip (4 nuckles) is usually helpful as well as pointing the thumb at the target which I really can not see(a wrist adjustment may or may not be needed).

The next portion is hard to internet coach because I do not know your current flexibility levels. But in order to get fully into the "Barrel of the Gun", slightly more rotation is needed on the draw side shoulder as seen in the picture.

I also can not see the hook position on the string, but you maybe torquing string (based upon the cant of the bow and the back of hand).

You are looking exceptionally good though IMO!

Offline paul87250

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 03:12:00 AM »
Thankyou for the replies, I see what you mean about my bow hand, I will go back to a blank bale to work through the change in my form.

Trad Gang is an amazing source of information and assistance, I love it, thankyou again.....   :thumbsup:
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Looks pretty good to me....how high is your elbow?

Can we get a profile pic?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline paul87250

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Thanx for taking the time to look at my photo,....so here is the profile picture Terry asked for, I've tried hard to close my bow hand over the last few days, but it has sent my consistancy off down the drain, although I have managed to relax my hand.

I think my elbow may be too high? but I have two solid anchors and it feels really comfortable.

Thoughts? all suggestions welcomed as it's hard to get good advice here as there aren't too many bowhunters in my area.
   :help:
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28"

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Your elbow looks a little high to me.  You could drop your anchor down your face and it should move your elbow down.  Try putting your index finger near the corner of your mouth.  In the short term it will probably make your shooting worse...I think there are some others here that may have better advice so don't take my word for it alone...

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
You look pretty good (to me) in this picture too.  If you are looking for suggestions, I posted some bow grip pictures in a thread here titled "grip question" that might give you some ideas for the bow hand.  As with any form change suggestion, you have to give it a try to see if it works for you but I do suggest that just a few shots is not enough you need to try it for a few weeks to see if it helps.

I suggest too that your elbow is OK.  If you hold a straight edge up to this picture and line it up from your string elbow to the center of pressure in your bow hand, the line will go right through the arrow nock -- as it should.

I wonder if you have a lot of tension in your string wrist.  If you look at your string forearm and the angle created with your string hand, your hand is bending up at the wrist.  Many find that the more relaxed your forearm is (including the wrist) the better. And relaxing the wrist will help reduce that angle.

Again, changes often will reduce your accuracy for a while (if you elect to do them at all) you need to be patient with yourself and the changes you may be trying to make.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
OK....it might not be too high...but once you get above 10:00 O'clock you can run into issues....such as what Mobow said about your wrist....

My elbow is not level...maybe 9:30....but check the wrist angle compared to yours.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©