3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back from Iowa  (Read 631 times)

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
Back from Iowa
« on: November 20, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
It's taken a couple of days to get all the work caught up.  Now I can pen some thoughts of my first trip to Iowa.  My PBS mentor and good friend John Vargo moved to Iowa seven years ago.  He invested in property in the S.E. part of the state.  His good friends Gene and Barry Wensel live about 20 minute from his hunting property.  You know the hunting is good.  John invited me to come for a week long hunt.  It took two years to get the preference points to hunt from out of state.  I arrived Friday evening the 9th and was hunting from a cedar tree stand by Sat morning.  I rattled in a Pope and Crocket nub buck and saw a doe the first morning.  Sat evening found me in a shingle oak overlooking several scrapes.  By 3 pm I had deer movement.  A nice P&Y eight ~130 pointer tending a doe in a CRP field.  There was no calling this guy off his doe.  A string of six small bucks vacated the woods they entered.  I think he told them to move along.  A half hour later I had a 8 pt. come by like a dog on a blood trail.  I grunted and even yelled at him.  He had other things on his mind.  Did I mention at 200 lbs. he looked like a bulldozer to this Va boy...  A few minutes later a 9 pt. walked out at 12 yards.  His rack didn't have the mass or length I was looking for.  Another small rack 8 pt. ambled by.
It was hard to believe what I was seeing.  At this point I began second guessing passing all this fine venison.  15 minutes later here comes another 8 point 200 pounder.  I saw a nice G2 on the left side and went into automatic hunter mode.  My new Blacktail went into slow motion as I picked a spot.  The Goldtip 55-75 tipped with a Woodsman was on the way.  It passed through the chest cavity.  This tank didn't hop or jump.  He just hunkered down and left the woodline heading through the CRP field.  A spike stepped out and investigated my bloody arrow.  My buck went abot 80 yards towards the truck and fell.  Nice... I sat down reliving the past few moments.  Here he is Gang:

Well he is the biggest buck I've ever killed.  He will not make anyones book but mine.  I had a doe tag to fill so I got to hunt and watch the rest of the week.  Yes, I had three other bigger deer come into shooting range.  One ~130 class ten pointer at 8 yards.  But I'm happy to have my buck.  Here is a picture of John with a couple of heads from dead deer he found on his property from last year.  I saw a booner a little bigger than the rack on the right at 50 yards tending a doe.  I hope Jonn gets a crack at him this weekend.

I need to get back to work.  Lunch time is over.

I can't begin to thank John for the opprtunity.  It was truely the hunt of a lifetime for me.  Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back from Iowa
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
Nice buck!! Great story congrats!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
Wow!!!Sounds like an unforgetable hunt.Congrats on the buck and a good friend.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
Very nice!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Sounds like a dream hunt. Congrats on a great buck. That buck skull on the right is friggin huge! I guess all you hear about Iowa must be true.

Mark
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Iowa is a magical place, nice buck  :thumbsup:  Congrat's

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
Way to go, Nook, that is a bruiser-especially for us Va. boys! That Blacktail is a fine killin' bow.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Great job and congrats on the successful venture.
Now if we could all get our points, and then have Gene and Barry invite us down......
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
Hey Mike... recognize the muck books..  They are the bomb diggidy in cool weather.  My feet never got cold.  Thanks again.  

Hey Tom,  The Blacktail got a workout for sure.  A few dings, But thats going to happen to a Hunt'n bow.  See'ya sometime in the comming year.  

Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
You da Man!   :thumbsup:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
good job,congrats!

Offline Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
Way to go Jeff. Congradulations on the nice buck.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
Congrats again, JEff!! I talked Dale (taxidermist) into giving you the Cool Springs Discount.

Sounds like we need to have a Cool Springs Hunt in Iowa next time!

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
Nice buck and great hunt, Jeff!   Congrats!     :thumbsup:
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
Nice   :thumbsup:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
Doesn't SE Iowa just make you want to pack up move.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Awesome

Offline IAOUTDOORSMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
Congrats on a nice buck from our state.  You picked an awsome time to come.  I dropped my buck on the 9th, and the deer were moving like crazy.

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
Jeff~
You have always been a fine shot on those deer..he's a beauty, congrats!
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©