Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: instinctive / gap/ split vision?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
instinctive / gap/ split vision?
« on: December 26, 2011, 01:31:00 AM »
Not trying to start a debate about which is best here, just trying to get a clearer definition of what these methods are and figure out how I shoot in the process.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a pure instinctive shooter doesn't even notice the arrow, right? If that's the case, I know I'm not an instinctive shooter. I NEED to see the arrow. I need at least some sort of sight picture to make sure I'm lined up horizontally.

But as far as lining up the shot vertically, I just trust my bow arm, I don't make adjustments during the shot as far as that goes. So if I miss a little high or low, I know that I held the bow a little high or low.

Missing high or low doesn't bother me too much and I'll just adjust on the next shot, but missing too far left or right gives me nightmares.

This raises questions to me. Do I shoot instinctively as far as my vertical spread goes, and gap shoot as far as my horizontal spread goes?

OR..Am I shooting completely in the gap shooting style?

Also..Is there a difference between gap shooting and split vision shooting or are they the same thing?

Thanks,
Austin

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: instinctive / gap/ split vision?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
We all see the arrow just with Instinctive you choose not to be aware of the arrow on a conscious level. We all have this ability otherwise in everyday life, our brains have to shut out some visual information or we wouldn't cope and have visual overload.

With Gap I tend to adjust the Gap for each distance and spatially aware of arrows relation with the target, when I shoot and Split-vision I tend to shoot by overall sight picture(arrow and Riser), it's an awareness of my relation between riser window profile and the target, the view is pretty much constant really just setting aligment for vertcal/Horizontal, the fine tune aim is done at a subconscious level.

For me it's like I've taken and blended the best parts from both instinct and Gap in Split-vision.

I feel very comfortable using Split vision method on unmarked 3D as I dont have to worry too much about estimating distance, I prefer to use gap on marked Field as it's know distance and more importantly known target size which makes Gap system very effective in IFAA Field.

Split Vision and Gap is not so much visual it's about Spatial awareness, my conscious visual focus is always at the spot where I want the arrow to go.

I hope I didn't confuse too much lol

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Agree with Zeta, impossible not to see the arrow for me, since I shoot three under, but it's not the only reference I use. I also use the string as well. My feeling is if I am taking the time to set my reference points for my anchor why not incorporate them as part of my aiming.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
I thought, that with gap shooting the shooter is concentrating more on the tip of the arrow than the target, because they already know where it's going to hit the target so they are really looking at the tip and the spot where it has to be to hit the intended target spot.

Instinctive shooting is concentrating on the spot and the mind uses the peripheral vision to adjust where the arrow or bow hand is aiming, either way the arrow or bow hand is used to some degree.

No matter how hard one tries to block out the arrow, it's not possible unless one closes their eyes, because we can't control what the eyes and mind see's, it's just an awareness factor. Some will be more aware of the arrow than others but it's still there.

So I think you might shoot like many of us instinctively, unless deliberately shooting gap.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
I don't know how long you've been shooting but I prefer to have my shots all aligned vertically and if I err a little horizontally that doesn't bother me too much as that is easier to correct. I occaisionally do a wand shoot drill to work on this by putting a lenght of duct tape down the center of my bag and try to keep all the arrows in the tape. I shoot instinctively by the way and DO see the arrow in my peripheral vision.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by njloco:
I thought, that with gap shooting the shooter is concentrating more on the tip of the arrow than the target, because they already know where it's going to hit the target so they are really looking at the tip and the spot where it has to be to hit the intended target spot.

That is Point of Aim, it can be a point anywhere from below the target on short range shots to a point above the target i.e my Longbow 70y I measure 1 imagined target face above real target to get my POA mark. In UK Fita target English Longbows put a marker (tin cup) on the ground for their 20y POA.

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I'm still left with one question. What is the major difference between gap and split vision?

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
Sorry don't agree, I don't see the arrow.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Zetabow kind of summed that up nicely. When you shoot gap you work out your gaps in inches for each yardage, memorize them and then put the point of the arrow on the spot the correct number of inches down from the spot you want to hit for your yardage. I'm not a gap shooter but I would think your focus would be on the point of the arrow and the spot at the gap rather than the spot you want to hit.

He mentions split vision as focusing on the spot you want to hit but being aware of the gap for your yardage. A difference in focus if you will.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
I think reddogge described the difference perfectly and I think you are right to not be too concerned with high or low misses as this is an aiming error and will get better with practice regardless of your aiming style.  You asked if you use gap in your horizontal spread.  My answer would be no.  When I miss left or right; anywhere outside the vertical plane, I know it was an issue with my form and I don't even concern myself with aiming.  I analyze what form error I am making.  I think it was Moebow that said in one of his posts "archery is a form sport, not an aiming sport".  Too much emphasis is sometimes placed on aiming and not enough on form.  Just my 2 cents.  Good luck!

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 01:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

Flingblade, I totally agree with your post and your 2 cts at the end. I am just trying to define my aiming style so I know what it's called in textbook terms. I am aware of my intented bullseye and I consciously line the arrow up with it. But I don't work out gaps in inches at different yardages. So by the sounds of things, I guess I am a split vision shooter?

If I miss high or low, I know it was just a misjudgement on my part, but my form was probably good. But if I miss too far left or right I know it is a form issue and that drives me nuts sometimes. One form mistake that I can sometimes pick out is dropping my bow arm on the shot.

I like the quote "archery is a form sport, not an aiming sport". No matter which aiming style you use, your arrows are not going to go where you want them to if your form is bad.

For some reason I thought that gap shooting and split vision shooting were the same thing. I know that Howard Hill coined the term "split vision" and I thought that gap shooting was just a modern term for the same thing. But from some of the above posts, it sounds like gap shooting is like point of aim shooting without the "points" worked out ahead of time. Am I getting this right?

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 02:25:00 AM »
Also, point of aim shooting has me a little confused as well. As I understand it, a POA shooter isn't even aware of his intended bullseye UNLESS it is at the distance where the tip of his arrow will line up perfectly on the bullseye. At all other distances he "aims" at preplaced marks above or below the "real" intented target. Zetabow's post seemed to concur with this. If I am right, I would guess that this would be much more of a target shooting aiming style rather than a hunting or roving aiming style. It would seem that the archers would have to know exact distances and know exactly what their bows are capable of at those distances. And any little error in form or placement of the points could throw the whole thing completely out of whack. Right?

Let me confuse myself even more, LOL. Would I be right to assume that gap shooting is almost like "instinctive" point of aim shooting? Also, would I be right to assume that split vision shooting is like normal instinctive shooting except that the arrow is given as much attention in the shot process as the bullseye?

I'm either starting understand this better or I'm completely off. LOL.

Thanks,
Austin

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
You are very close. Point of aim was initially a target archery method when they shot the large colorful round targets way out in the field and they would place a marker on the ground then would put the point of the arrow on it and focus only on it. They would change the postion of the marker for each distance they shot. Most shot with a very low anchor usually under the chin. I feel it's not a viable hunting method of aiming so I'd dismiss it for our intent and purpose.

I feel gap shooting becomes more like basic instinctive shooting the more you do it. Your gaps will become instinctive and you will not have to focus on them as much. At least that is what Ranger B says and he gap shoots a lot.

I'd call you a split vision shooter myself although sometimes it's hard to pigeon hole one's method of shooting.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
It has been a long time since I first started shooting trad. I am trying to figure out how to block out the arrow from my vision as many instinctive shooters say they can do, and only see the small spot that I am aiming at, if anyone can answer this ? it would be of great help.

Thanks
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Giovanni

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
This topic of shooting will baffle most people. I shoot point of aim using the tip of the arrow. When I'm ten yards from the target everything becomes instinctive. The whole key to this thing is practice, practice, practice, until you find youself. A good boyer friend of mine still can't figure out how I shoot, except that I can hit the target. Isn't that what archery is all about. I saY do what works best for you.

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
It's all just interesting to me. And it's refreshing to discuss this kind of thing without a major arguement.

I guess the major difference between all of them lies with where the archer's focus and concentration is centered.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©