Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Gapping off the riser  (Read 559 times)

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
Gapping off the riser
« on: December 27, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
I have been shooting split vision/gap for a while now and it has been causing some snap shooting issues for me - which happens whenever subconscious aiming takes over. Finally I discovered stringwalking (arrow point to target point aiming) using my ILF barebow which has done wonders for me but given arrow tuning requirements at different crawls, I probably will not be able to used it on my new short r/d longbow.

Thus, I would like to use another point on point aiming system which I understand can be done when gapping of certain points of the riser depending on distance. Can't find a whole lot of info about (non actually on my searches except for a reference that Larry Yien uses it). Can any shed some light on this. Thanks
Thanks
K

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gapping off the riser
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
K,

I think what you are referring to is using a mark on your riser face (the part you see) to set elevation for the distance to be shot.  What you might try, is to place a piece of tape horizontally on your riser.  You will have to experiment to find the correct height to place it.  Let's say you find a spot that the bottom of the tape puts you on target at 20 yards,  Then you can find out where the top of the tape puts the arrow.  I've seen some shooters with two "tapes" on their bow for 4 different distances.

This is very close to using a sight, the difference is that you still have to get the windage right.  This really isn't a "point on" system as you will perceive the arrow below the target for closer distances. Absolutely nothing  wrong with doing what works for you!

For what it is worth, I don't believe that "subconscious aiming" is causing your snap shooting.  I believe that your subconscious is short circuiting your shot process while your conscious mind is aiming.  You might try this experiment.  Consciously think through the shot from draw to anchor to follow through while ONLY looking at the target and pointing at it with your bow hand.  Don't think about the looking or pointing, just do it.  See if that might work for you.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©