Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Need advice, Snap shooting vs. holding anchor.  (Read 908 times)

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
Need advice, Snap shooting vs. holding anchor.
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
I have shoulder problems first off. Here is a little info of where this is coming from, my shoulder problem keeps me from holding my 56 pound bow for a few counts. It is not that I am not strong enough to hold it but rather my should cannot hold still while I pull it. So I do a slow draw quick release. Rather then just snap shooting I feel that once i start getting close to my anchor I slow down but draw into my anchor slowly once i reach my anchor i release.

Is this bad? when I hit my anchor I can shoot on the money but once I start rushing like anybody else i get all over the place because i let it go early. this come from a long day of shooting but that will happen to everybody in my eyes.

So is this bad to do? And can anybody let me know what they do to help this. I truly do not want to go down in bow weight because it is not truly the weight of the bow but rather just holding it. I know it is defiantly not the bow weight because i just finished my last year of college football. along with that I shot on a regular bases to keep on target but had to change it up how i anchor to help with this. please give me any thoughts and feelings about this. I am always looking to improve my shooting and life.
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need advice, Snap shooting vs. holding anchor.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Snap shooting is a style.....and its not 'target panic'.  I snap shoot, and have never had target panic.

I just get on target rather fast, and don't ever stop pulling.

Rod Jenkins does the same thing I do, but at a MUCH slower pace once he reaches anchor.

If you are doing something and its working...stick with it.  Don't include the fatigue factor, that will effect you whether you snap shoot or hold.  Everyone performs worse when they are fatigued.

Now, if you are short drawing or 'pre-releasing'.....then that is more of a mental issue IF you are doing it when you are not tired.

That's my 2cents for now....   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
First if your letting gone sooner sometimes you may want to get a draw check so it forces you to reach anchor EVERYTIME its critical to become a good shot. I pratice controlled snap shooting meaning it goes off when im ready not just ripping it back and letting it fly and not in a Target Panic matter. I dont think about anchor I think about pulling as anchor should be a natural unconcious process unless your doing form work at close range.

I think snap shooting is good for hunting but I also think you need to be able to hold for some amount of time just incase you have to durning a hunting shot. Can you strenghent your shoulder or is it beyond repair?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Fafe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
I'm not really sure what label you want to place on how I shoot, but I will pull back to my anchor and then what I call "fine tune" with my left(bow) hand. Before I fine tune the shot, I'm right about where I want to be, then adjust (fine tune) till I feel its right on. I only take maybe 1-1 1/2 sec. just a beat or two. Its hardly noticable. But, its a slight hesitation. All the while I'm staring and concentrating on the Bulls eye.
I hope this makes sense.

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Thank yall for your advice. I have just talked and read about people putting down snap shooting I thought that there must be something wrong with doing it.

My shoulder is past repair for now, unless I get it replaced but I'm still really young for that. the replacement only last about 5 years as of now I've heard from my mother in law who is a RN.

Being a athlete I let my have to do things right no matter if your tired or not mind set get me when I'm tired. But this is different then just playing a sport your muscles wear out and cannot physically pull the bow weight after a while so I need to stop, and I don't. That is something I need to work on and will strive to do better.

Yall mentioned target panic a few times, that is something I do not have for sure it is just my shoulder does not have the possibility to hold the weight back and sustain holding it back without my shoulder starting to shake.

Is there any specific tips to keep in mind while snap shooting vs. holding at your anchor?
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
Pulling through the shot until you touch your shoulder will do wonders to help you reach full draw everytime. Dont think your ammune to Target Panic it can happen to anyone. Im not saying you do have it im just saying be aware because its always a possibility.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 04:55:00 AM »
For me what works is not holding at anchor, but maintaining the pull at anchor, big difference. Maintaining the pull with my back primarily and keep a tense free hand, allows me to focus on the target without getting all tense about it. If you are building tension in your shot, you will build up the anxiety, not good. Have you ever watched some of the best shooters, besides great form, they look relaxed not a bunch of nerves ready to explode.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
I have seen a few great shooters. not to many. Now that I finally graduated from college I plan to hit the 3d series hard and have some fun and learn more about my hobby.

Keep pulling through my shot makes sense. I am going to spend some time looking at shooting videos so maybe ill find a few tips for myself. I'm a very visual learner.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Tatorbones,

Howard Hill was a snap shooter.  Over the last decade, folks have miss used the term snap shooting instead of using the proper terms like short drawing or target panic.  Snap shooting was not a negative back in the day.

Snap shooting is a style.....not an 'issue'.  I'll see if I can find Ron LaClair's post on that.

Also, a double anchor can help greatly with consistency.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
I've been shooting a bow since I was a squirt... but I didn't really start to learn about form and style until I started shooting competition 49 years ago. While we never "stop" learning there are some things that become apparent after 50 years of study. One thing I do know for sure is there is no absolute style when it comes to shooting a bow.

When someone says you have to shoot this way or that way because all the top shots shoot that way, I say baloney. Some of the best shooters I've been privileged to know shot with what some would call an "unorthodox" style. Jim Pickering used a "Dead" release and high anchor when he competed in some of the top tournaments of the day in the 1960's. Everyone else in the Country shot with what was call "Power Archery" Jim whipped them all. He was a National Champion and a PAA Champion using a style that everyone said was "wrong". Jim Caspers another Archery Champion shot with a high elbow on his drawing arm. He actually pumped his arm up and down after he was at full draw, he said it helped him build up back tension.

As for the term "Snap shooter", I've been hearing it for 50 years and it was probably used before that. It has "always" been used to refer to someone that shot in one fluid motion, and whose release was triggered when they touched their anchor.

I was privileged to talk to Fred Bear many times over the years and I remember him calling himself a "snap shooter". He said, "I'm a snap shooter,..I concentrate from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet". He said he couldn't shoot a compound because the let off interfered with the rhythm of his shooting style and broke his concentration.

"Good snap shooters"?...I've seen a lot of them. In the early years of the GLLI (Great Lakes Longbow Invitational) when scores were kept , we had the best shooters in the Country shooting for the honor of top dog. The shooters that won that shoot more often than not were what I call "Snap shooters" Very controlled, very meticulous, very accurate shooters whose release was triggered when they touched their anchor.

Someone that "does not" come to full draw or touch their anchor before they release have what's called "target panic or what use to be called "IT". They are NOT...repeat NOT, snap shooters.

I think the problem is like what Terry said people today are "mis using" the term "snap shooter".  Snap shooting is definitely not an inferior style of shooting a bow, however it must be realized that not everyone can master the snap shooting style. Those that can't may end up with target panic and be called snap shooters but in reality they are  not. Maybe we should come up with another term to describe these failed snap shooters...."short snappers"?..."Half snappers"?

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
In my opinion there is nothing functionally wrong with snap shooting if it is defined as releasing the arrow at or just after reaching anchor (full draw), and the only issue I have with it as a coach is that it seems to promote early onset of target panic for those who misunderstand the process.

What I teach is a series of processes that make up a shot, a check list of things that if done correctly each time result in a good shot. The trigger for releasing the arrow is the completion of this list of processes and a mental decision to proceed.

The lag between reaching full draw and release for me is a product of my ability to focus on the target… not a specific timing of events, some days I take longer and some days I’m sharp..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline paoloi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
I'd say it is all a means to an end. If you can hit what you want to hit I'd say you are good. I subscribe to the Rick Welch school of shooting, which is an instinctive style. He preaches the hold to allow your bow arm to come to a rest. I have always found that I shoot better if I hold longer. I know we all love our bows, but I would also say that you could come down quite a bit in weight and still have an effective hunting tool. It's all about the placement so if dropping weight would make you more accurate I would say go for it. Also if you shoot 3D it may improve your score. Anyway, good luck and happy new year.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Drop to 40 lb. bow.

It isn't a pride thing at all.

Noone is doubting that you are strong enough to probably pull back a 90 lb. bow.

But you risk injuring yourself further. This is a hobby, and the primary purpose of it is enjoyment.

You sound a lot like myself. You are stubborn, and not being able to hold at anchor once you become fatigued probably just drives you to want to keep shooting more and more to overcome it.

Drop to a 40 lb. bow and your ability will increase as well as your enjoyment. Also, you can hunt deer with 40 lb. draw in most states, and with a sharp broadhead and a well-placed shot, the deer won't know the difference.

Good luck brother.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Fafe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Paoloi, that's funny that you told of Rick Welch preaching to allow your bowarm to come to rest. That sounds exactly what I was trying to describe when I called it "fine tuning".
It seems to be working for me, so far. Its just a slight hesitation. I will have to look up Rick Welch, I don't know anything about him.

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
Thank you for all your help.

Terry that makes a lot of sense, this is not like most sports when there is a true way to do the technique. This is a sport where you have to find what works for you and master it. there might be a few things you fine tune but ultimately you must do what best works for you.

I just recently heard of jim casper today from a friend i found out shoots traditional. I always like to watch others forms.

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
If your shoulder is falling apart and you are shooting through pain, your range of motion may be somewhat affected as well.  There may be places angles that are worse for you than others.  I am sure that you have tried to see if changing to a more open stance and shortening your draw lessened the strain.  I recently found that my left elbow does not like pistol gripped right hand recurves, the straighter form changes something.  Have you tried shooting wrong handed?  Physical limitations can at times throw out some of the things that are must does for good form.  Go for what hurts the least, less time at full draw, and perhaps way less bow weight is the way to go, I shot a deer with a 36 pound Hill once when I was injured, I was shocked how good it worked.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©