Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: New video on Rotaional draw  (Read 1795 times)

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
New video on Rotaional draw
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Here is a new video I did for a friend of mine that is switching to left handed due to non-archery related injuries to his shoulder.  It is VERY much related to the "release tips" and "rotational drawing technique" videos that I did earlier.  It uses a rubber band to show the movement of the drawing shoulder that is the core of the rotational draw.

As ALWAYS, this is a SUGGESTION to help folks learn what back tension feels like and how to get it.  It is meant to make you think about what you do and how you do it, nothing more.  If it works for you -- GREAT, if not press on with your own way, no worries!

11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline fatzboys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New video on Rotaional draw
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the new video.Your suggestions make more sense to me than most.Thank you. and keep teaching.You are very good at it.The time you but in to all your vids has helped me ......Keep teaching us!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Good stuff Arne!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Berliner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
Arne,
this new video illustrates the essence of the Rotational drawing technique very well. Thank you!
And: THANK YOU for sharing your time and giving personal advice on shooting form. Looking forward to 2012.
All the best,
Vincent
Jerry Hill - Stalker deluxe 69" [email protected]
Osage Selfbow - 66" [email protected]

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
What I like about this clip is you can see how you use a soft grip on the string, no tension. Allows you to focus all efforts on the back.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
I watched the vid (and another of yours), Arne. Great info there and outstanding demos. Evidently your camera man is no slouch either, or else you know just how to place your camera, if you are using a tripod. I have trouble getting into my back, due (I think) to bad (lifetime) rounded shoulders. I bookmarked the vids, and have all ideas i will be watching (and listening to) them often during the coming winter. thanks for your time and effort, and attention to camera angles. At 76 I am still trying to get it done better and more consistently - LOL
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Excellent as always, thanks for helping old dogs learn new tricks!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
BTW - where would one get a rubber band of that type?

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Excellent, this one makes it even easier to see than the others.  I can tell a difference in how much cleaner I'm getting off the string both in less noise at the shot and consistently better arrow flight since working on this technique.

I have lost .75 to an 1" off draw length, but I believe I have overdrawn for several years now.  I used to wack myself on the nose alot and torque the string(nasty callous on ring finger).  Both have went away for the most part since switching.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
ber643,  Thanks for the kind comments.  I use a camera mounted on a tripod.  It has an LCD screen on it so I can turn it and see if I am in frame.  That's why I am glancing at the camera so much in the demonstrations.

The rubber band is made by a company that specializes in physical therapy called "TheraBand."  I get mine off the big auction channel in 100' rolls since I give each of my students  one.  I think it can be had in as little as ten foot lengths there. It is called "Theraband tubing" and comes in many resistance strengths (colors).  I generally use red (medium for adults) and yellow (light weight for the kids). I first got mine from a local company that deals in wheel chairs and the like.  Another similar product that will work is a plain Theraband, which is a flat and wide ribbon of rubber (think of a scarf made of rubber).  This stuff comes in many strengths but for the purpose that it is used here, red and yellow are the best options.  The use is really meant to reinforce form, not for strength building.  Hope that helps you find some.  Might be a product one of our sponsors here might consider for their inventory.

Hope all have a GREAT New Year!
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
bernie;
Instead of a rubber band I go down to the local military surplus store and got a piece of 1/4" bungee, about 50" long and then I can adjust to the length I need to make either a heavier pull or lighter pull to practice in front of a mirror.

Arne;
I really enjoyed the video and now I will go practice for tune up. Happy new year.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Very good vids, Thanks for sharing!

Have a Healthy and a Happy New Year.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Arne, excellent video as always. Must admit that your videos have helped me to improve my back tension technique.
Jerry
The work praises the man.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Thank you. This video, I think, has me started on the correct path with my Hill. However, after I watched and implemented this, I went from three under to split finger. The anchor the split finger gives me is more comfortable when drawing this way/. Does this make sense ? I haven't been shooting long enough to worry about changing a "style" I haven't really deleoped one yet. Thanks again.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Chain2,  When we change something in our shooting one of two things happen.  One is that we really feel good with the new "thing" and second, our shooting goes in the pot.  Any change to be effective requires MANY practice sessions (20+) to get really perfected.  If you have just shot a new technique once or twice you are not giving the technique or yourself a fair trial.

For me, I feel the best shooting split finger, but many really GREAT shooters like three under.  All you can really do is learn both and then decide what YOU like best, not what I or anyone else likes best.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Thanks for the info (both of you), I'll look into the local options/availability. From what was said, I would assume regular surgical tubing would work also, perhaps.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
I was "searching" for my anchor point when trying the rotational draw with three-under. I moved to split and I now am at my anchor(s) at the end of the drawing sequence. I think with the hand grip on my compound and the recurve I was shooting, very similar, I was not using my back  muscles, it was all arm. Shooting now takes alot less effort. Thank you
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
This was highly educational          :thumbsup:    :clapper:    

Thanks
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Moebow
Have followed your tips for some time now and must say they are helping. I have fought TP for years and by changing some of my routine and focusing more on rotational drawing and use of the back muscles my shot process seems to be improving form and follow through.
Appreciate Your Efforts....

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
Great work as usual Arne
Jimmy Blackmon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©