Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Release. Am I wrong?  (Read 669 times)

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
Release. Am I wrong?
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
I learned shooting myself many years ago (I shoot a recurve, split fingers, and a glove) to anchor my hand against my jaw firmly and just 'relax' my fingers when I release.

I seem to be reading lots of posts and watching vids of guys hands 'springing' back when they release due to back tension - and claim that this IS the proper way to shoot. However, this just doesn't 'feel' right to me having shot MY way for so long!

Am I wrong?
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

"Bless are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." (5:7)

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Release. Am I wrong?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
Scoobiedooo,  NO CLAIM that it is the "proper" or only way to shoot!!!!  Just a suggestion for folks to try who MAY be struggling a little with their shooting.

If what you do works for you and you are happy with your shooting DO NOT CHANGE!!!!
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Thanks Moebow! I kinda was thinking that! I shoot pretty well with the way I learned years ago and it just seems to work for ME. While surely no Howard Hill with the bow I shoot pretty darn well with the way I learned and REALLY didn't want to have to change unless need be!

Thanks for the advice!
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
There are two schools of thought:

Rod Jenkins teaches a "dynamic" release, where there is enough backward pulling force that the string hand recoils backwards after the release and ends up somewhere in the vicinity of his neck.

Rick Welch teaches a "dead" release, where there is only enough backwards pulling force to offset the force of the string pulling forward, and the string hand stays more or less put after the release.

Both are champion shooters, and there are many other good shooters who adopt one style or the other.  Use what works best for you, with one caveat: whenever you try something new, it will not work as well as it should until you master it.  Both release styles are worth the effort to leatn them, so you can make an intelligent choice.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Sounds good - thanks Dave.

I subscribe to the belief that "If it ain't broken - don't fix it!"

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Scoobiedooo:
Sounds good - thanks Dave.

I subscribe to the belief that "If it ain't broken - don't fix it!"
YES!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
When it first occurs, change is going to feel wierd or not "right" for a while.  That doesn't mean it's not correct or beneficial, it's just not the way you're use to doing things.  Given time, it becomes ingrained and becomes the norm.  So, does that mean you should tinkering with your release to what others say is the "proper" way of doing things?  Well, that depends.  Realistically, how good is your shooting?  Are you happy with your current level of shooting and are you willing to endure the process of change if not?
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©