Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Finally coming to full draw everytiime - shooting high.  (Read 760 times)

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
Finally coming to full draw everytiime - shooting high.
« on: January 03, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
With the help of the clicker, I am finally able to come to full draw and anchor with every shot.

What I have noticed however is that almost all of my shots are hitting 6 inches approx. higher than I am looking/aiming.

Is this a simple case of more draw equals less drop and therefore I am shooting higher?

It feels good to finally be able to draw all the way back on every shot. Clicker saved me on that. Just wondering if this is a routine thing to be shooting higher.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finally coming to full draw everytiime - shooting high.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 03:30:00 AM »
Try raising your nocking point, getting the tail of the arrow higher.  Yes, I am being serious.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
If your arrows are not hitting tail down leave nock point alone. Are your arrows going to same spot, do they seem to be grouping, are they flying ok. If all are yes than because you were not coming to full draw and now are, you may have changed the positioning of your head at draw causing this to happen.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Many things with your form may have changed.  It may take you some time to acclimate to those changes.  I think I’d just keep shooting for a while and see if those groups drop naturally.  

dragonheart, is suggestion that you tune your bow to make the arrows hit where you’re looking.  I’m guessing he’s an instinctive shooter; I’m guessing you are too.  Folks have been doing that for years, and you’ve got a lot more wiggle room than you may think.  Moving the side plate in/out, or raising/lowing the knocking point are classic (and very old) ways to get the arrow to hit the mark, without significant arrow flight problems.

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
I found when I got to correct form that i have a tendency to keep my head high to the point where my arrow was hitting high for the distance of say 10yds. Almost like trying to bring the tip of the arrow into my  peripheral. So while shooting I have to remind myself to not et the bow arm and tip of the arrow creep up to cause this.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim Casto Jr:
Many things with your form may have changed.  It may take you some time to acclimate to those changes.  I think I’d just keep shooting for a while and see if those groups drop naturally.  

dragonheart, is suggestion that you tune your bow to make the arrows hit where you’re looking.  I’m guessing he’s an instinctive shooter; I’m guessing you are too.  Folks have been doing that for years, and you’ve got a lot more wiggle room than you may think.  Moving the side plate in/out, or raising/lowing the knocking point are classic (and very old) ways to get the arrow to hit the mark, without significant arrow flight problems.
I have found that many people will struggle with shooting high when shooting instinctive.  I tune the bow to hit where I am looking, with adequate arrow flight.  A nock high nocking point in my experience shooting is just more preferable, than getting it too low.  The marks on a nocking point scale are only a reference and many times I am above the marks/scale, and the arrows begin to group and hit where I am looking.  I shoot instinctive, split vision, not looking at the arrow directly in secondary vision.  there was an article many years ago about shooting vanes off the shelf.  The author was shooting very high nokset and getting clearance.  From my experience a more forgiving setting to err on the high side rather than the low.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Raised nock point about 1/8 of an inch, maybe a bit less. Problem solved so it seems.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
It will only get better Sam trust me. In a few months to a year (depending on shooter) you will LOVE the clicker  :)  Even tho I can shoot without I still use one for the fact they make you so consistent. Good job keep it up it will pay off!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2Blade:
It will only get better Sam trust me. In a few months to a year (depending on shooter) you will LOVE the clicker   :)   Even tho I can shoot without I still use one for the fact they make you so consistent. Good job keep it up it will pay off!
Thank you sir.

I bombproofed the clicker as you put it with black electrical tape. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but the clicker has not moved at all.

I already like the clicker because of the mental advantage it is giving me. All of a sudden I feel like I actually have control of WHEN I was to release the arrow. Couldn't for the life of me get back to the corner of my mouth before the clicker.

Thanks again for the advice.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Yea the bow will not be as pretty as it use to be but ill bet its a whole lot more accurate. Ive gotten so use to mine on the bow everyone elses looks foreign without one lol. P.S. If you wanna make it even more secure you can wrap tape around the screw in part. May not be nessasary but some people like the extra security.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©