Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: anchor backstop vs backtension  (Read 498 times)

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
anchor backstop vs backtension
« on: January 08, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
I have been battling TP for sometime and to make a long story short have settled on a shot routine, where I come to full draw, adjust anchor at eye tooth and also thumb knuckle against the jaw. I notice this sometimes leads to collapsing, but if I keep a continuous pulling motion (not jaw back-stop) I get a cleaner release. The only problem is I tend to release a lot sooner (bringing my TP back). Any way to re-establish back tension after it is lost?
Thanks
K

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anchor backstop vs backtension
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Targets3D,

This really depends on how you are shooting (your form). In the system I advocate (the National Training System - NTS) You cannot regain back tension once it is lost ( that's the theory anyway).  If you are settling in on the eye tooth and the thumb knuckle against the jaw, you are most likely stopping your increase in back tension, which causes the collapse.

Here is the part that is much harder to explain in words than to show in person, AND it will sound like an oxymoron!  If you are increasing back pressure correctly ( per the NTS), your string and string hand WILL NOT MOVE on your face, but you will still be INCREASING back pressure.  The string and hand do not move but by pulling your shoulders back (OR thinking "sticking my chest out") you will be increasing back tension.

If the string and string hand is moving on your face, you are using your arm to "pull through the shot" not your back.

I'd suggest that you have two issues going on at the same time. First is your struggle with form, and second is your issue with TP.  Form can be fixed at the blank bale (NO TARGET!!!!!!!!).  TP can be fixed by NOT worrying so much about the results and forgetting your form.

Once again, many ways to skin a cat but this is what works for me and many of my students.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anchor backstop vs backtension
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
Generally speaking, when you collapse you collapse on both sides so it's important to push as well as pull. So if you are only focusing on the side of your back doing the hold, it can be easy to miss the collapse beginning on the push side.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©