3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Well karma bit me on the butt, Ferret  (Read 720 times)

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well karma bit me on the butt, Ferret
« on: November 20, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
I made fun of Ferret and his quickstik falling off the tree trunk with a dandy buck within range the other day. Well I went out this morning to a spot I know is not known by gun hunters. It's a tiny finger of state land with only a foot path wide entry near a fishing access site. I didn't check if it's legal to bow hunt during gun season I just bought a gun license and took my longbow.I hope that is legal(I think it is).(Please don't think too ill of me for this)
Anyway I'm wearing a blaze orange vest that I doused with UV killer, over bdu khaki pants and a plaid cotton shirt and just walking as slowly and queitly as I can and I hear a couple of shotguns' reports from the larger piece of land about a quarter mile away. I take out my 10 X 50 binos and scan all around for blaze orange. All of a sudden I see not one but 5 sets of antlers in a wad of blackberry briars 50 yards away.
It takes me an hour or better to go 20 yards, I'm trying so hard to move quietly and use available cover to block me from their view. I kneel down and glass them again. and they are still bedded right were they were before. They are watching in the direction of the gunfire. I take my shoes off and put on another pair of wool socks on just as quietly as I can. I check them again and they are undisturbed. I stand up, nock an arrow and take my first slow step toward them and pause, check them and take another even slower. I take 20 minutes to go 5 feet and still they have not moved or noticed me.My heart is about to burst and I have to kneel, look at the ground and get control. I slowly look up and they are still watching the direction of the gunfire. Another 20 minutes for 7 feet. I stand perfectly still because I am now completely inside their Red Zone. I wait and take one more slow determined step. I wait and and take one more step. I pick the one i'm going to try for, he is the one off by himself and closest to me, a very wide 5X4. I look for a hole to put an arrow through and see that if I just move 3 feet to my right there will be a window of opportunity. I take a side step as slowly as I can force myself to move. I bring my other foot over and freeze. I check them all and none have noticed. I count my blessings and wait just a few minutes and take another side step right onto the leg of a doe bedded just under the bush I am trying to use as cover. She jumps up, I fall backward, bump the back of my head on a tree and lay there trying not to cuss. I look over and all the bucks are standing now but not running. the doe is standing a few yards from where she was bedded and looking in my direction; but now I am completely behind the bush and not visible to her. I can just see her feet and ears. I lay there trying to figure out if there is a recovery when the does turns to walk away and all the bucks follow her with their heads forward and ears down. From my supine position I watch two nice 6 pointers spar a bit and the other bucks kick and push at each other to be the first one behind the doe. They move off and I guess they never knew I was there. So I try to get up as quietly as I can. I finally manage to get up and there in the briars looking at me is one of the bucks. I didn't count them, I just figured they all left. It's the 8 point I saw on this finger of land last year and he is even more massive. He does something I find unnerving he takes 5 quick steps right at me. Then he stomps the ground and snort-wheezes. I think, "How the heck do I look like a rival to him?"  I don't know what to do....so like my Dad always said, "When in doubt, nock an arrow." the arrow I had on the string is still on the ground so I take another out of my bow quiver and nock it. He is 10 yards away with his ears back doing a lip curl sort of thing, just then the wind changed and he got a great big nose full of big ol' me and I've never seen a faster change in attitude nor a faster sprint out of the area. I am certain he went every bit of 50mph. He looked like he was flying and only setting one foot down every 20 yards or so to steer. That is when my knees went to jelly. Hard to be mad at yourself when your laughing your butt off at yourself. But the good news.... I stalked up on bedded bucks during the firearms season to within their Red Zone, undetected. That is until I stepped on a doe that was asleep(probably shagged out)until my foot met her leg. Well laugh away. Ferret get your digs in.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Well karma bit me on the butt, Ferret
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
OK I felt so bad I checked. Not only is it ok to hunt with a bow during gun season I didn't have to buy the firearms license.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
good story and good stalking...
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Boris196

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
Wow...talk about your once in a life time never will forget story.  I don't care if you got one or not that's one heck of a story and had to be an absolute blast.
Son of Ferret

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
way good... stories like that are why I bowhunt!

I can't get the bowdown to you graemlin to work so... my hats off to you!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
Great Story Curtiss! Way To Go! You had a blast and ya don't have to clean your knife. Stalking is soooo cool.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
You TOUCHED a wild deer! It is only slightly marred by the fact that you did not know she was there until she jumped up. That is a great milestone in the stalking world. Congrats.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
Very cool.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
That's an awesome story! Wow what an excperience thatmust have been
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
I am humbled at your skill in the wool :0)  :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
That's one you'll remember (& re-tell  :D ) for the rest of your life!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline CrisW.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Now that's counting coup!!!
Cool.
"It could always be worse...watch."

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
I feel like a jackass and all you guys are going "well done!"  :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
My wife isn't a hunter or even a woods walker but she loved your story.( couldn't help but read it to her) I have to agree with what others have already said."an experience of a lifetime" Thank you for sharing! My reading was interupted by laughter when I reached the point you step on the doe.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
Lol sorry man but that is really cool.  Great stalk!

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
Wow I would have like to have seen that when you stepped on the doe. I would just probably had the big right there. Way to go.
High on Archery.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Curtis..sounds like an awesome stalk. Sorry it didn't work out for you , but for your awesome efforts I am dedicatiing these pics I took today in your honor

:bigsmyl:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
ferret very neat pic.  C@ that was a good story.  Tat is the first time I have ever heard of someone stepping on a deer.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
A jackass??  Nah, you're one stealthy dude Curtis!  You've got to move slower than the sun to pull off a stunt like that - "well done" is well deserved!   :notworthy:   Ferret hanging off the side of a tree isn't even in the same league  :biglaugh:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
Opps - Mickey, you were posting those pics just as I was rippin' on ya' - looks like you know how to get up close and personal too!    :thumbsup:  Maybe you're better staying out of the trees  :biglaugh:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©