Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Vid of me doing everything wrong! LOL!  (Read 2220 times)

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Vid of me doing everything wrong! LOL!
« on: January 11, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
Just got some new strings for my Bob Lee TD Hunter..14 strand B50 buckskin/black with beaver silencers and got the first one stretched pretty good as she seems to finally be holding at brace and tied on a nocking point and decided to vid myself doing some bareshaft testing just to watch how sloppy i snap shoot my recurve and figured ya'll might enjoy..so have at it folks..and all comments be they bad or good are welcome..i vid myself to use a a training tool just to see all the weird stuff that goes on while i'm busy thinking i'm doing great! LOL!

so without further adue?..enjoy the linky. Bill.  :)

http://Jinkster.vidmeup.com/view?q=4f0cc8a841797.flv
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

and i know that's true cause as a younger man i usta call'em a "pull-n-pray"

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vid of me doing everything wrong! LOL!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
wow...not a single comment hugh?..now my feel'ins is hurt.  :(
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Bill, you vid link didnt come up with a video, just a blank screan. And you should post this in the shooters forum those cats over there are on the money with shooting knowledge and tips.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
Jinkster

Problem I see is that you are no where near being correctly lined up and in proper alignment. I can see that by your drawing elbow. Your elbow should be slightly behind the arrow. Picture a straight line from arrow tip, arrow, web, forearm, elbow.

Question for you, are you aware when you are at anchor and do you feel solid ? because it looks like you are releasing long before that happens.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
i agree with longstick
check ot terry greens form clock
although your fletched and bareshafts look pretty good together
kevin

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Bill, you vid link didnt come up with a video, just a blank screan. And you should post this in the shooters forum those cats over there are on the money with shooting knowledge and tips.
yep...sorry 'bout that..didnt think about posting it here but the link seems to be working...maybe you hit it while it was being moved? idk.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
I like the sound of the bow shooting before you actually release the arrow.
PBS  Member

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
Jinkster

Problem I see is that you are no where near being correctly lined up and in proper alignment. I can see that by your drawing elbow. Your elbow should be slightly behind the arrow. Picture a straight line from arrow tip, arrow, web, forearm, elbow.

Question for you, are you aware when you are at anchor and do you feel solid ? because it looks like you are releasing long before that happens.
yep...like i titled it..a vid of me doing everything wrong..but?...it sure feels right. LOL!...truth of the matter?...i'm snap shooting because i'm over-bowed..still building back up to it but hunching and doing everything wrong but..even though i'm snapping them off in less than 1/2 a second of my index finger hitting the corner of my mouth?..it feels smooth and the arrows are flying pretty clean..i'm holding better with my 44# longbow than my 54# recurve..that's for sure but yeah..there's a lot of wrong going on there..but at least it's consistantly wrong! LOL!..for now.  :)

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by bofish-IL:
I like the sound of the bow shooting before you actually release the arrow.
yeah...i definantly got some synching issues between vid and sound there..but that is 720HD off my new-2-me droid motorola X2 smart phone..and so far?..it's way smarter than me! LOL!

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
While your form may not be perfect, your groups look good and you are pretty darn close to center of target even with the bare shafts, so at least you're consistent.  I disagree with some of the others about your alignment, from my couch (which is probably a better viewing angle than anyone else has) the forearm of your string hand looks pretty well lined up with the arrow.  Maybe try the same exercise with a camera set on a step ladder right behind you and see if that makes it any clearer.

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by gringol:
While your form may not be perfect, your groups look good and you are pretty darn close to center of target even with the bare shafts, so at least you're consistent.  I disagree with some of the others about your alignment, from my couch (which is probably a better viewing angle than anyone else has) the forearm of your string hand looks pretty well lined up with the arrow.  Maybe try the same exercise with a camera set on a step ladder right behind you and see if that makes it any clearer.
I agree..it was a very poor camera angle for analyzing form..i think it made it look a lot worse than it actually is.  :)

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Jinkster - I didn't respond because, honestly, I was confused by your comments.  I wasn't sure if you were pridefully saying your form was poor or if you were being funny.  I didn't even know if you really wanted candid feedback or not.  You sent a mixed message so I shied away.
Jimmy Blackmon

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ranger B:
Jinkster - I didn't respond because, honestly, I was confused by your comments.  I wasn't sure if you were pridefully saying your form was poor or if you were being funny.  I didn't even know if you really wanted candid feedback or not.  You sent a mixed message so I shied away.
hmm..sorry you gotta mixed message outta that..certainly didnt intend that..maybe a lil tongue n cheek but finished off with...

"and all comments be they bad or good are welcome..i vid myself to use a a training tool just to see all the weird stuff that goes on while i'm busy thinking i'm doing great! LOL!"

and i certainly respect your opines Ranger B..so have at it..i do my best to be open minded to all input that helps me become a better archer.  :)

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Two things to work on right up front. You are anticipating the shot with your bow hand and grabbing the bow.  Watch your bow hand grasp at the bow when you shoot.  Your bow hand needs to be dead. Let the bow react.

The second and most important thing you need to do, before you develop a very bad habit that you can't break, it to stop snap shooting.  Control the bow.  It doesn't matter how you aim but you need to control the bow.  If you snap shoot too long you will develop a trigger and when you hit it you will let go of the string. I know you said your bow is too heavy, but you really need to pull with your back to anchor, sustain pulling  at anchor, get on target, then increase pulling to conclusion.  Once you are settled on target start contracting that back and simultaneously relax the fingers.

Right now you are pulling with your shoulder/arm.  Watch the string arm elbow when you shoot.  If the back is engaged you'll see the elbow go back and down at a 45 degree angle.  There will be rotation in the back when it's engaged.
Jimmy Blackmon

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ranger B:
Two things to work on right up front. You are anticipating the shot with your bow hand and grabbing the bow.  Watch your bow hand grasp at the bow when you shoot.  Your bow hand needs to be dead. Let the bow react.

The second and most important thing you need to do, before you develop a very bad habit that you can't break, it to stop snap shooting.  Control the bow.  It doesn't matter how you aim but you need to control the bow.  If you snap shoot too long you will develop a trigger and when you hit it you will let go of the string. I know you said your bow is too heavy, but you really need to pull with your back to anchor, sustain pulling  at anchor, get on target, then increase pulling to conclusion.  Once you are settled on target start contracting that back and simultaneously relax the fingers.

Right now you are pulling with your shoulder/arm.  Watch the string arm elbow when you shoot.  If the back is engaged you'll see the elbow go back and down at a 45 degree angle.  There will be rotation in the back when it's engaged.
yep..that "grabbing the bow" thing was one of the first things i noticed in the vid..and i just straightened that out today..i saw i was extending my fingers like i do/did with my wrist leashed compound which in turn gave me a tendency to snatch it at the shot..just this evening i corrected that by just leaving my fingers very lightly wrapped and letting the bow do it's thing and made an immediate difference for the better..as far as the elbow down thing?..maybe this more directly behind me camera angle with my longbow is more telling?..idk..

http://Jinkster.vidmeup.com/view?q=4f00de550a184.flv

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 05:09:00 AM »
Jinkster

I agree with RangerB, shooting for the sake of shooting will kill your form and leave you with target panic and if you think you are having fun now, try getting rid of it. We are talking years of work.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
Take a look at this video.  Note the elbow beginning at :42
  Archery form  

Note the elbow coming back and down and the rotation in the back.  Also, see how effortlessly she comes off the string.  There is no jerk or pop off the string.  It's a smooth constant pulling through the string.  I certainly can't do it this beautifully, but this is in the ballpark of what I strive for in practice.  I imagine the fluid process of shooting a bow like Park Sung-Hyun
Jimmy Blackmon

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
Also, you are leaning into the shot a bit.  You reach forward to grab the string and lean your upper body forward never to straighten back up.  If you stand up straight and expand with the shoulders and rotate that back should back your draw length would increase at least an inch, possibly more.

Even when you stand you have to rotate that back should back. Don't' slump or get lazy with the shoulders.  Expand them.  This is very common and when your back should never rotates back you tend to short draw the bow and the back elbow never gets completely in line.
Jimmy Blackmon

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 07:26:00 AM »
Jimmy Blackmon

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
I just want to chime in and agree with Ranger B and Longstick64 about learning it right. My personal experience was that I had noone to teach me how to shoot a bow right and shot for the sake of shooting. It turned out very bad with lots of frustration and missed opportunities. Just last year I started shooting again after a 5 year hiatus because of disgust with my shooting and am now learning to shoot right. Let me tell you it's worth it to learn it right from the start. Hope all goes well for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©