Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Vid of me doing everything wrong! LOL!  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vid of me doing everything wrong! LOL!
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
I shot early this morning before work. I made a video of what I'm trying to explain. I think it will be easier to see it vs. read it.  I'll post it tonight.
Jimmy Blackmon

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ranger B:

RangerB...thank you so much for taking the time to so clearly illustrate and explained to me the err of my ways and you are 110%you on the money...I'm messing up right from jump street by reaching out with my string arm...can't wait to get home from work now and put your suggestions into practice...guess I need to figure out how to just expand in a bolt upright position..again...thank you so much...really appreciate any and all help I can get as this will be my first year leaving the wheelbow home and registering "TRAD"
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

and i know that's true cause as a younger man i usta call'em a "pull-n-pray"

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
Jinkster,
  Jimmy got right to the heart of it and learning to get into that inline, expanded position will greatly increase your ability to execute a smooth, controlled shot. Where you're at now you're pulling the majority of the weight with your arm and shoulder. This works ok when you're fresh and strong but as you begin to fatigue that's when you'll start to notice alot more shaking and the groups really start to inexplicably widen up. When you pull with the back and get into better alignment the draw weight will feel lighter, holding will become easier and the string will get off the fingers easier.

To work on getting into that position you can do a few things. First, when you feel like you've hit full draw try to pull your string arm elbow behind your head. Depending on how much tension you carry in your arms and shoulder, as well as how flexible you are, it may take some time to feel comfortable with this. If you have someone available to help you have them stand behind you and put their hand back and to the left of your elbow while you try to rotate your elbow to touch it. Another thing someone can help with is checking if you are tensing muscles up in your forearm, bicep and shoulder while drawing. If you engage the back and leave the arm to act as a hook the muscles in the arm should have very little tension in them. Have a partner touch your bicep and shoulder at full draw. If it is solid (like you're flexing) you need to work at relaxing the muscles. I've seen a lot of people who could have great alignment but never really learn to relax and let the back become the primary puller.

Much of this is easier to explain in person or visually. Hopefully the above makes sense. I'm betting the video Jimmy is putting together will illustrate exactly what to work on. He's got fantastic form and he's great at explaining things in easy terms.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
I can only tell you what helps me, don't know if it will help you  or not.

I take a deep breath while drawing back, this helps me or makes me stand erect and feel more solid in my stance, it also seems to help me totally engage my back muscles. I don't hold my breath, because the arrow is gone before it becomes a factor, so please don't get confused with this. I feel my shoulder rotate back as my back muscles engage and the release is much smoother for me, the follow through is making sure I watch the arrow on it's way to the target with as little movement as possible once the arrow is released.

Hope this helps.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
Below is a video I made to describe what I was talking about earlier.

Shooting video
Jimmy Blackmon

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
Great demo and video Jimmy!!!  Kudos!!!

Guys, LISTEN UP!!!  Jimmy hits if square on the nose about working to maintain the mental game.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Jimmy?..that was an awesome vid there guy..words cant express my appreciation..unfortunately?..by the time i got home from work i was racing the sun to try some of what you had explained previously so i didnt have time to watch the vid till now..after the fact of what i videoed of myself "trying" to execute what you suggested..one slight dilemma i ran into is a product of my somewhat odd physic..my mothers father was a 6'4" 320lb truck driver and my fathers father was literally a "jockey" never reaching 5' tall and nevr weighed over 98lbs in his life..so i got the upper body of the truck driver and the legs of the horse jockey..i'm 5'8" (with my boots on) and 180lbs..and the first problem i ran into this evening was "expanding" through the shot as if i did force my elbow behind my head?..the string runs into my chest..so unless i buy a real short bow with a real steep string angle?..i'm gonna wind up taking a nipple off! LOL!..so i guess i have some physical limitations to negotiate..but meanwhile?...this evening i tried focusing on 1. drawing with both arms on the rise, 2. my grip (not snatching the bow) and 3. moving tension into my back..i know now that i guess i'm still slumping forward but..watch the arrow tips....those are 30" long GT3555's..i normally shoot a 28" compound (local pro swears i'm 27.5) but i know i hadta be drawing very close to 29's on that longbow tonight..and the part that amazed me?..while i wasnt really aiming at all?..my left/right grouping tightened up incredibly...know i got a long ways to go yet but..at least thanks to you and moe (as i watched some of his vids as well)..i'm headed in the right direction..LMK whatcha think and thanks again, Bill.  :)

http://Jinkster.vidmeup.com/view?q=4f0f74972aee1.flv
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Bill,  I'm having terrible internet problems.  Let me get back to you when I can get the video to roll.  More to follow...
Jimmy Blackmon

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ranger B:
Bill,  I'm having terrible internet problems.  Let me get back to you when I can get the video to roll.  More to follow...
Hey Jimmy..take your sweet time bro..whenever is fine with me..you've already given me more than i'll be able to fully absorb in a month..well?..make that 28 days. LOL!

Thanks again, Bill.  :)

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
Bill,
    Take a look at this.  Here are some stills of your release.  Much improved - in particular the bow arm.
Jimmy Blackmon

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
I think these pics will not be too big. If so I can make them thumbnails mods.  Take a look at Rod's hand as it comes off the string.  The hand comes right back alongside the face and the fingers don't flip out.  Normally, when the fingers flip out you are "releasing" the string vs. relaxing the fingers --this is my biggest struggle personally.  I anticipate the shot.
Credit for the photos goes to Denny Sturgis...he took them.

Jimmy Blackmon

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Ranger B..if we ever run into each other i owe you dinner and a movie..again...words cant express how much i appreciate all the help and effort you've given me here..and due to the string/chest conflict problem i was having?..tonight i took a suggestion of..

"opening up my stance a tad"

so i did..and just a slight bit..maybe 10-15degs off dead square and viola..no more string/chest issues..but in doing so?..it caused my upper body to hafta turn with the draw..and then i was like..oh...yeah..and recalled moebows vid of "Rotational Draw"..so now that i finally understood it?.. i tried it..and in turn?..through putting into practice "rotational draw"?..i can now understand why "The Shot Starts At The First Tug Of The String" cause that's when i realized..

"Hey?...it's much easier for me to feel HOW to get that tension off my arms/shoulders and registered into my back where it belongs...and i guess i never really got "rotational draw" or?..how to "move the tension into my back muscles" before this evenings session..but opening up my stance led to rotating which led to me getting at least a taste of "Back Tension"..and i know i did cause i have areas burning in my back now that i never knew i owned! LOL!...and i know...my release still blows but..i can only concentrate on discovering and executing so much at a time..and tonight was..

1. Open Up My Stance

2. Rotational Draw and..

3. Trying to get some Back Tension going on.

Take a looksee..and again?..i'm all ears and very open to any and all suggestions..meanwhile i'll be working on the anchor/release more this weekend...thanks again all and L8R, Bill.   :cool:

PS: BTW..i'm on the list for Rods Class in Venus, FL in May.  :)  

http://Jinkster.vidmeup.com/view?q=4f10c5d345874.flv

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Jinkster. You've come a looong way from the first video you put up! Come May, Rod will really fine tune what RangerB and the others have already shown and explained.

Theres nothing like having somebody there to point out the shot errors as they are happening and correct them at that point.
Keep up the good work and I look forward to meeting you in a few months!
Brad
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Bill,
   I told Rod yesterday that you'd be in his clinic in May.  You will really enjoy the clinic.  He's a good fellar.
Jimmy Blackmon

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
swampdrummer and RangerB...thanks so much guys..i'm still trying to rotate the upper body/shoulders (and not at the knees) like moebow pointed out to me by watching my belt buckle in the last vid..here's my latest efforts along with a tad more concentration on cleaning up the release..

http://jinkster.vidmeup.com/view?q=4f14b446d3190.flv

Thanks again for everything, Bill.  :)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
Good stuff....looks like you got taken care of...   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Yep!!!!  Keep that up and as others have said, you'll really get some good mileage at Rod's clinic.  Just keep pulling that string shoulder back at/during release.    Looking GOOD!
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
I stopped the video with you at full draw then slowly sent through your shot.  It's amazing how much you have cleaned up the release hand and bow hand in essentially a week.  You've still got some back work to do, but incredibly better than when you started.  Get ready for Rod to tell you to "Shoot a strong shot" because that is what you need to focus on next.  Pull through that shot strong.  It's a leap of faith at first but that arrow will get there.  Great work Bill.
Jimmy Blackmon

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
Thanks again so much guys..the help you all have given me has been working out wonderfully..know i'm still just getting my first taste of the tip of a huge iceburg but would never have come this far this quick if it werent for the help i've recieved here..ya'll rock.  :)

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
Ranger B i love that second pic of Rod it shows the archers paradox really great thanks Shane

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©