Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: My little corner of TP hell  (Read 756 times)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
My little corner of TP hell
« on: January 21, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
Mine takes a different form entirely. It doesn't crop up often, only sometimes, and only during 3-D shoots. Mine is what Jay Kidwell calls "the yips" or double cluching the arrow. I get to full draw and anchor and then double clutch the release (have trouble releasing) or yip it and yank the arrow off the target entirely. It may be aggravated by shooting in a group. Very annoying though.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My little corner of TP hell
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
I asked Rick Welch how he avoided that problem. He told me he shot every shot like he was in his backyard just having fun. I suppose he visualizes actually being in his backyard before he takes the shot. Which makes sense, if you can do it, because the best shots you will ever make are those no-pressure shots when you 're just having fun.

I'm not saying I can do that, but apparently Rick can.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
It never crops up roving and stump shooting. Mainly shooting 3-D.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:37:00 AM »
I just follow my shot sequence I know if I do that part correctly I will be able to at least hit the target, knowing I can hit allows me to relax and really zone into the kill.

When I was training with coach Kim I asked if any of his Olympic shooters got target panic he said "no, never", he told me, by following a correct shot sequence you wont get target panic, I think I understand what he meant from my first paragraph, as I've not had any issues for 12+ years now, I have total faith in my shot sequence in that if I follow that sequence correctly it will get me scoring somewhere on the target.

Nowadays if I miss 99% of the time it's just getting the distance wrong (IFAA 3D has 60y max).

I think that part can also be a cause of target panic for us Trad (unsighted) shooters, for me the only way to deal with it is to consciously/subconsciously decide on the distance and then commit to that decision 100%, if at any time I'm worrying about missing or the distance might be wrong I'm not going to be able to follow any shot sequence.

A good course builder will use every bit of the terrain to try and trick you, so it's also good to understand/accept you might miss the odd shot, two of us build around 12 a year and no compound has ever shot a clean round on one of our 3D courses, last 3D I did I shot with my compound buddy and he's standing at the stake on a 35y deer shot shaking his head, you can see the kill but not much else, I inform him that I didn't put this one out, he replies, "yeah but it has YOU written all over it."      :)

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
Richard...you're not the only one who suffers this malady from time to time.  "Yanking" the string, whether in the backyard or in a group shooting for score on the 3D range is a form issue.  Where/when it happens (for me) is a break down of form under self induced pressure.  Foam animals aren't going to attack us, and neither are the guys we shoot with......but we want to beat them like a rented mule, so we put a good amount of pressure on ourselves.

The best thing we can do is a) get our form as good as we possibly can, and b) keep in mind the quote "focus on your form and the points will take care of themselves" (I think Rod Jenkins gets credit for this one).  As for the form, yanking the string is attributable (again for me) to improper alignment on occasion as well as improper grip on the bow string.  Watch Ranger B's new video on the string arm/hand....there is a lot of great info in this video.  Once you've watched that one, go back and watch all of his youtube videos as well as Moebow1's youtube videos.....all of them will help you to visualize proper form within yourself. Then hit the bale and work on it....and work on it....and work on it.

The other thing that has helped me is there are about a dozen of us in our area that shoot 3D tournaments together several times a month.  When shoots aren't going on we schedule get-togethers at indoor ranges, outdoor venues, etc. and do lots of shooting....and all of it is lots of little contests.  Everything from shooting the 2" clay BBgun targets from 20-70 yards, to aerial shooting, etc.  These really help you get comfortable with the group thing in a more relaxed atmosphere than when there's a scorecard involved.   Have fun and Good Luck.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Another thing that would help us if we could get in the habit of doing it is to let the shot down if it doesn't feel right. Rod Jenkins told me that in his experience, the better shooters let shots down far more often than mediocre ones do.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I've been at this for a long time. I'm 68 and have been shooting a bow since I was 11 and this has just started to crop up a couple of years ago. I don't keep score but in a group you want to shoot well as you all know.

Perhaps I just needed to vent about it a little but I sure will concentrate on form and release issues a lot now.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
All of the TP solutions I have seen have you "Relearn" your shot sequence. I am assuming you have tried this? Did you read Kidwells excellent book?

I somehow overcome the anxiety on important shots with complete focus on the spot. Our 3d group is merciless- talking smack while you are trying to shoot is only part of it. Still, after reading about TP I am going to incorporate some of the TP type drills into my practice sessions- can't hurt
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
No I haven't read his book but read something he posted online which deals with this form of TP. I have seen others have similar issues when shooting so I know I'm not alone.

I remember several rounds I have shot where this doesn't happen at all and my only impression was I was totally relaxed and the shooting was effortless. I didn't think too much about anything during those rounds.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Change your form. It worked for me. Swing draw. To set split to 3 under get close to the bale your are a new archer without tl.it worked for me.I held for10 sec oj the 50yrd bear at past weekends 3d and nailed it.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
Since this old thread got brought back up things have improved. I hardly ever do it anymore. However I had an accident in June, surgery in July and am recovering from my torn elbow tendon now so no shooting for a couple of months.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©