Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Things I Learned @ My 1st "TRAD 3D"..  (Read 1161 times)

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Things I Learned @ My 1st "TRAD 3D"..
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
1. No Matter How Much You Practice By Yourself In Your Own Backyard?..you won't shoot the same with "an audience".

2. No Matter How Much You Think Your Form Has Become "2nd Nature"?..you won't shoot the same with "an audience".

3. Low Viz/Camo Arrows Blow...i've gained a new appreciation for brightly colored fletchings and wraps/dip.

4. When Shooting "Instinctive"?..there are only two distances..1. "I Got This"..and?..2. "Holy Shid".

5. Never Say To Yourself..."I Got This".

6. Those Shots You So Casually Term As "Occasional Fliers"?..are more often times than not "Complete Misses" on the 3D Range.

7. If Your Impressing The Heck Out Of Yourself Shooting Real Tight Groups at 10-15yds?..bring a good selection of "anti-depressants".

8. As The Day Wears On?..you will begin to miss low...even on the close shots.

9. Nothing Is More Humiliating Than..drawing and holding with what feels like olympic gold medal form and..missing.

10. Participating In Even (1) Trad 3D "WILL"...make you re-evaluate.."what your true effective hunting distance should be".

and mine is currently about 10 yds when i usta think "20" LOL!
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

and i know that's true cause as a younger man i usta call'em a "pull-n-pray"

Offline Bow50

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Things I Learned @ My 1st "TRAD 3D"..
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
Man do I agree with your post but you left one out...man I can't wait to do this again, LOL

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
11. Bring a lot of arrows, more than you think you'll need. (Lots of targets are skylined at some courses)
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline turkeyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Yea......but wasn't it fun!!!

Offline Berliner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
12. Forget about the shot you just executed, when standing at the NEXT peg - beeing a miss or a kill.
13. Try to evaluate MISSES as: OK, this one was low, I will put it in the box LOW SHOTS, OK, this one was a little to the left, let`s put it in the box HITTING LEFT and so on. For the mental game: there are NO MISSES!   :archer:
Jerry Hill - Stalker deluxe 69" [email protected]
Osage Selfbow - 66" [email protected]

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 04:42:00 AM »
I've been at it a while...  I agree with all you said.

The biggest thing is... Make the commitement to turn in a score card.  Don't be one of the guys that lurk in the shadows to see where you fit in and keep it to yourself.  The lack of competition will never inspire you to improve, or shame you into it  :D

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I heard "yeah well, I shoot them where the arrow placement is anatomically correct and that doesn't score well..."  True, the 10x is usually a little higher and further back than on a real animal.  BUT, you should be able to pick a spot (any spot) and hit it.....   It ain't rocket science...

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
14. 3D's can be as enjoyable as you make them.
    Often times I shoot a 2nd round.

15. 3D's magnify issues and hilight what I need to be focusing on.

16. 3D's are a great venue which creates opportunities to meet other traditional folks.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline petertschantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
Great thread! I shot my first two 3ds last summer and will be shooting a lot more this year. Lots of fun and objective feedback on your shooting.
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
11. Bring a lot of arrows, more than you think you'll need. (Lots of targets are skylined at some courses)
X2 one the places we shoot they set targets in front rock walls.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
ROFL....... All true statements.

17. No mater how many 3D shoots you go to. While hunting, you will most certainly get stuck in a  situations that you never encountered on the course.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline moose eye levi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
At 3D shoots I rarely ever keep score. It makes me think to much. Most of the time the score rings are not to relevent to a shot on a real animal depending on shot angle. But it is fun to do and a great way to keep honed. I really agree with the crowd effect.
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
18. If you "Think About The Shot" at any time during the process of drawing and anchoring?..just let down and throw the arrow at the target..you'll stand just as good a chance of hitting it and the odds you'll actually find the arrow go up considerably.

LOL!
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

and i know that's true cause as a younger man i usta call'em a "pull-n-pray"

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dan Adair:

The biggest thing is... Make the commitement to turn in a score card.  Don't be one of the guys that lurk in the shadows to see where you fit in and keep it to yourself.  The lack of competition will never inspire you to improve, or shame you into it   :D  

Excellant advice !  :thumbsup:
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »
19. When you make the Bad Shot, Someone will  ALWAYS  See It!!   :smileystooges:      :archer2:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline docmerrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
I really don't agree with (1) and (5).. I am the type that shoots better under pressure. I concentrate and visualize more. (5) If I believe in my self and quote say " I GOT THIS" the better chance I have.. Visualization is huge!!!
Zipper "Hunter Series 48#"
Bear Cub

Offline 57HOP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Honestly, unless they really do keep their hunting shots at 5-10 yds, the accuracy of most of the Trad archers I see at 3D shoots makes me wince when I think about them hunting!

Then there are those shooting out to to 40 yds + with the freestyle boys and doing right well, and I'm reminded to stay within my effective range!

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
It will be different for everyone. I don't keep score and I don't shoot with a group. I usually only shoot with one other person. I am easily distracted and having a bunch of guys telling stories in the background while I am shooting has always caused me to shoot worse than normal. With one other buddy we talk between targets and shut up while the other one is shooting. Then we evaluate our shot afterward. To each their own. I have nothing to prove to anyone with a score card. It is a great tool to hone in on hunting situations.

Offline Keystone Cowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
When i shoot a 3D tournament i don't add up my score as i go but wait until it is done. That way i don't put the added pressure on myself that " all i need is an 8 and i will beat my last score" as that usually causes me to flinch. And i always turn in a score card just in case.

Offline momo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
ive been shooting for a little while and love it dont want to tell my age . i belive you should look a every shootbefore you shoot judge it belive in your self and then proceed make a good shoot have faith in yourself. and what every happens happens with time and practice thing get so much better and you take out all the missing and laughs you take out the good time and the learning process.i remember the frist time i went thur a coruse and didnt miss any target man that was a day to rejoice but id never give up all the miss and laugh from friendsand the time spent with friends learning the gameand the people in the trad family are the best no better people in the world of archery
vern thompson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©