Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Is 3-UNDER giving up??  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
Is 3-UNDER giving up??
« on: January 27, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
I shoot alot better w/ 3-UNDER. I have tried split and no matter what I do I can't get a consistant release. I have tried a tab also. With 3-UNDER my left and right inconsisttantcies are gone or at least manageable. I still need to hone the vertical. I was wondering if I shouldn't try to shoot split more or just stick with 3-UNDER ? I don't want to seem like a quitter. Thank you
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is 3-UNDER giving up??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
If your still shooting you haven't quit anything.  Shoot however you need to for your own consistency.  The best change I ever made in my shooting was switching to 3-under.  The second best thing I ever did was to find what worked for me and quit trying everything else.  :thumbsup:
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by TSHOOTER:
If your still shooting you haven't quit anything.  Shoot however you need to for your own consistency.  The best change I ever made in my shooting was switching to 3-under.  The second best thing I ever did was to find what worked for me and quit trying everything else.   :thumbsup:  
:thumbsup:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chain2:
 I don't want to seem like a quitter. Thank you
Seems like an odd thing to say.  In any sport I've ever tried, there are multiple ways of doing things, and people generally need to try one thing and then another until they find out what works out best for them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
If your goal was to shoot well using a split finger release... then yes, you are a quitter

But if your goal was to shoot well irregardless of release style; then no... you've just found what works well for you given your skill level..

Anyone can learn to shoot well using either release... it's a matter of which you want to use..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Thank you Guys.

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Odd this topic has come up as..

Just this past week..just fer gits and shiggles..i went back to "trying" 3under again..and i've bounced back and forth a couple times over the past few months cause while split feels more natural to me?..i get better periphial alignment of the arrow with 3under..i can see the whole shaft throughout the draw..get's it right up under my eye..and i seem to shoot better..and i knew all that before but what i stumbled upon this time switching to 3under was this...

1. It lines my bowhand up with my stringhand perfectly..with the arrow shaft positioned just above them both and what that seemed to do was..

2. Applied a more equalized pressure of the grip against my bowhand as i expand through the draw and could grip the bow "lighter instead of tighter" as i did with split cause the biased draw of having my stringhand ABOVE my bowhand gave the grip somewhat of a "rocking back" sensation.

and as a result?..the limbs seemed to respond in a more balanced mannor and the bow seems far more stable at the shot and i dare say there was a noticable reduction in felt handshock.

and while romance and sentiment have their place?..when it comes to me shooting better?.."logic" comes first..so that the goals i set for myself are realistic.
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

and i know that's true cause as a younger man i usta call'em a "pull-n-pray"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Everyone has their own Style of Shooting. Its like "Whatever Gets You Through The Shot", ya know? Whatever gets the Arrow where You want it!  THAT  Aint Quitting!!  :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
This is not meant to be rude to you personally, but it really disturbs me that you would feel this way.  Has our community become so adamant about defining what is "traditional" or "right" that you would feel that you are supposed to shoot split?  It's just a place to put your fingers on the string.  The object of the game is to make the arrow hit what you are aiming at.  Right?  Who cares where your fingers are?
Jimmy Blackmon

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ranger B:
This is not meant to be rude to you personally, but it really disturbs me that you would feel this way.  Has our community become so adamant about defining what is "traditional" or "right" that you would feel that you are supposed to shoot split?  It's just a place to put your fingers on the string.  The object of the game is to make the arrow hit what you are aiming at.  Right?  Who cares where your fingers are?
X2
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
I feel it's the opposite of giving up. Giving up would be settling for mediocre. You're changing and adapting to continiously improve! That to me shows dedication.

I myself have been trying to change things up to improve my form and consistancy and part of that was trying 3 under as well. I'm liking it. It brings the arrow closer to my eye while still allowing me to use familiar anchor points.

Watch masters of the barebow and you will see all the greats don't agree on what is right or wrong, but know only what works for them, and what they can repeat consistantly.

Dan

---I see you too are from MI. If you're from the west side and are ever up for some stumping feel free to PM me.

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
Chain2 do what feels best for you as said by RangerB as long as the arrow goes were your lookin everything else is a mute point. Giving up or failure is when you stop trying, any hows keep at it and it will come around.   :archer2:

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by DGF:
I feel it's the opposite of giving up. Giving up would be settling for mediocre. You're changing and adapting to continiously improve! That to me shows dedication.

I myself have been trying to change things up to improve my form and consistancy and part of that was trying 3 under as well. I'm liking it. It brings the arrow closer to my eye while still allowing me to use familiar anchor points.

Watch masters of the barebow and you will see all the greats don't agree on what is right or wrong, but know only what works for them, and what they can repeat consistantly.

Dan

---I see you too are from MI. If you're from the west side and are ever up for some stumping feel free to PM me.
Exactly...along with Ranger B's input..and FWIW?..i'm a former US Marine..and the mantra we lived by was..

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME"

THERE IS NO SHAME IN DOING WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO ACCOMPLISH AND COMPLETE THE MISSION IN A CONSISTANT AND EFFECTIVE MANNOR.
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

and i know that's true cause as a younger man i usta call'em a "pull-n-pray"

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
I meant no disrespect to anyone. Going to 3 under was a necessity for me to start improving. Most of the books and videos I watch are about split. I appraiser all the help I get here. I wanted to make sure I am doing it right. Thank you

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chain2:
I meant no disrespect to anyone. Going to 3 under was a necessity for me to start improving. Most of the books and videos I watch are about split. I appraiser all the help I get here. I wanted to make sure I am doing it right. Thank you
That’s ok, folks who shoot 3-under are often very defensive about their choice…     :biglaugh:
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Now that's funny no matter who ya are.     :clapper:  

Good luck Jim in making progress with your shooting.  It's all about confidence, and we owe a certain level of skill to the game we hunt so do whatever works best for you.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Shooting a stickbow is very personal thing which is why I like it . Most shoot barebow which is having no sites , it really does not matter how you arange your fingers on the string but is does matter about good using form and really thats about it  .  :thumbsup:
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
No, 3 under is just another way to shoot....as a matter of fact, its probably KEPT a few folks from giving up that couldn't shoot split.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
Like I said earlier, everything seems more natural with 3-UNDER. My last post had soem awful spelling. I sent it from my I-phone which I haven't totally figured out yet. I meant to say I appreciate all the help I get here. Thank you Guys.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Chain2, I understand your sentiment and have felt the same at times.  I shoot both.  Why?  Why not, I'm just having fun and trying different styles has allowed me to discover for myself what people have been saying here for a long time:  With proper alignment everything else falls into place.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©