Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: carpal tunnel surgery improved my shooting tremendously  (Read 479 times)

Offline bdgr

• Trad Bowhunter
carpal tunnel surgery improved my shooting tremendously
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
During the enforced 6 weeks of no shooting I once again became a student of shooting.  I have been trad for 15 years.  After the intitial learning curve, I felt pretty proficient.  I would read and practice my form on a regular basis.

After several years thou I got complacent and "just shot" without reinforcing the basics from time to time.  I have noticed a decline in my shooting over the past several years.

When I had my surgery I began reading great posts from moebow and ranger b.  When I started shooting again I consciously began to pay attention again to how I was drawing the bow and releasing.

I must say my form had slipped terribly, to the point I thought I was going to have to decrease my bow weight.  Turns out my back muscles were not that involved anymore.

Just wanted to thank those two guys for the great advice and videos.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: carpal tunnel surgery improved my shooting tremendously
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
bdgr,

Very glad that you are recovering from the medical procedure!!!!  Thank you for the kind words about the videos they are meant to help and give ideas to improve shooting and reduce injury.

Welcome back to the ranks of the active shooters.  Enjoy it!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Happy to hear your doing well and dusting off your form and practice.

Whenever these guys come up with recommendations I immediately go out and check out the way I do it. If it's wrong I change it, and if it's correct I try my best to improve it.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
I to have picked up some great tips from Moebow over the last couple of years. It has amazed me that by adjusting one minor thing or 2 can make such a difference. bdgr, I had that operation about 12 yrs. ago and thought my archery days were over but have bounced back and now enjoy even more. My advice is to take it very slowly and build back yourself back up and hopefully get to where you want to be. I used to shoot 45-50# bows but have dropped to 35-40#'s because it just feels right. Take your time and wish you the best.  Chuck  :thumbsup:    :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©