Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Legs and knees  (Read 455 times)

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
Legs and knees
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
Working on my form after deer season one thing I noticed is everything seems to work a little better when I put a slight bend in my left knee (I'm right handed) and lean slightly into the target.

Fred Asbell teaches that in his Instinctive Bow shooting video and if you Watch some old Howard Hill and John Shulz videos they also tend to shoot this way.  

For years I shot with my legs straight and my weight either evenly distributed between my feet or even with my weight on my back foot.  But I find I'm much more consistent with some bend in my knee and weight forward.  

Its interesting because when I shoot skeet or sporting clays with my shotguns I also was taught to lean into the target and put a slight bend in my left knee.

Anyone have any insight why this helps?

I know for certain that a very tangible benefit of bending your knee and shifting your weight forward is I NEVER have a bowstring snag on any clothing.  Which happpens a fair amount when I shoot flat footed.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Legs and knees
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
When bending your knee and lean into the shot you take a more offensive posture. Jay Kidwell talks about this in his book.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©