Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Touch and go/ deliberate hold  (Read 1633 times)

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Touch and go/ deliberate hold
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
I shoot all the time and I find that I'm the only trad guy in our bunch that has a long deliberate hold at anchor before releasing (2-3 seconds) Everyone else seems to release as soon as they reach anchor. I'm just interested to see what you guys do

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Touch and go/ deliberate hold
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
I voted hold but it varies. I let go after i hit anchor and target is acquired, sometimes that is .5 sec sometimes that is 2 or 3 sec.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Found that I developed target panic if I did not deliberately hold and get my back tension.  Don't want to go back down that road...
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
I can shoot either way, but find that if I hold a little, it's a bit more accurate.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
I do a short hold, most of the time it is more to ensure that I have correct form than for "aiming" though. I have been working on getting rid of some form issues and this short hold has helped significantly.
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline dryfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
I hold for 3 to 5 secs. I'm much more accurate if I'm able to settle on the target and release.

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
Short hold for me also. It just seems right to me. I need a second or so to make sure everything feels right.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
I hold after coming to anchor and then when it feels right (push - pull) I release.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one. They all think that I'm gapping because I hold so long. I don't consciously pay any attention to the arrow I just feel better when I settle into my anchor.

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
I think a deliberate hold is better for developing back muscles and stamina. I do a deliberate hold for 2-3 secs.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by mmgrode:
Found that I developed target panic if I did not deliberately hold and get my back tension.  Don't want to go back down that road...
:thumbsup:   x2

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
I have found that if I hold even for just a little bit that it gives me time to get to full draw. And probably has to do with the back tension thing.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Depends on how strong the bow is! Brief touch at 60#, short hold at 50#, hold as long as I want at 40#.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 04:07:00 AM »
A telling question would also be what is you average distance, I'm guessing the guys that hold for a few secs will likely be shooting longer distances.

Under 20y you can do quite a lot a get away with it, my personal experience and from observing others is that touch & go release doesn't work that well past 20y.

So a lot of this has to do with the distance and type of shooting you do.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Find what works best for you....BOTH can lead to target panic...yes, I've seen guys hold at full draw TERRIFIED to let go....holding also leads to forward creep and collapse.

So, both work and both have negatives if not applied correctly.

I voted touch and go cause most times that's how I shoot...but I can shoot both ways, although I'm not really holding still, I'm holding like Rod Jengins....if the game I'm after dictates that I 'hold' for a particular shot.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by zetabow:
A telling question would also be what is you average distance, I'm guessing the guys that hold for a few secs will likely be shooting longer distances.

Under 20y you can do quite a lot a get away with it, my personal experience and from observing others is that touch & go release doesn't work that well past 20y.

So a lot of this has to do with the distance and type of shooting you do.
Great point.  My own observation is that grip it and rip it shooters are deadly out to about 20 yards, but accuracy drops considerably beyond that.

I have a very deliberate anchor process that works for me and causes an endless amount of amusement for my shooting partners.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Generally I hold, but it's usually for about a second or less.  Sometimes I "grip it and rip it".  This isn't because I prefer one way or another, but simply because my form is not as consistent as it should be.  It's a constant battle, but that's the challenge and the fun.

One of these days I'll video my form and let you guru's disect it.

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 01:56:00 AM »
For myself, if I did not draw well enough to be on target within one second, no amount of holding time will make it better. Depends somewhat on the bow for me, with longbows most of the time my most accurate shot at any range is the amount of time it takes to have a solid anchor. With my recurve left handed if I hold more than a second, I start getting left right up and down guessing errors. Even then when I am grooved in with the lefty recurve out to 30 yards is rarely over 1/2 second the draw speed just slows way down. Most of my long shots have a slower draw, but not a longer hold.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Find what works best for you....BOTH can lead to target panic...yes, I've seen guys hold at full draw TERRIFIED to let go....holding also leads to forward creep and collapse.

So, both work and both have negatives if not applied correctly.

I voted touch and go cause most times that's how I shoot...but I can shoot both ways, although I'm not really holding still, I'm holding like Rod Jengins....if the game I'm after dictates that I 'hold' for a particular shot.
That is what happened to me with light weight bows.  I could not let go.  TP is nasty.  I have dealt with it for 5 yrs.  Finding my way out of the dark, through a disciplined shooting form and lots of blind bale and longer distance shooting.  For me, I anchor solid, but I do not hold.  In the past I overdrew and, then settled and held and then relaxed.  that led me down the dark path of TP.  Now it is one continuous motion as the energy transfers to my back muscles, refuse to hold.  I can hold for a particular shot.  Touch and go does not mean lacking of anchor.  Fluid and constant with a pause.  Never stop the tension.  Bow weight will also effect the timing of the shot to some degree.  To me a bow under 60# now does not give me the resilency of tension for the feeling I need for a crisp fluid shot.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
I must qualify my next statement so not to be misunderstood  :saywhat:  Ok here go I find the poll #'s 29% T&G and 71% hold quite difference then what I actually see most guys do at the very limited 3d shoots I’ve attended.  I'm definitely a T&G shooter with a bad TP problem.  I'm wondering if they’re more individual who think they really hold but if caught on film it would tell a different story, just saying  :rolleyes:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©