Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: How do you improve bow arm stabilty  (Read 765 times)

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you improve bow arm stabilty
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
I am struggling with bow arm stability in that I have a difficult time in holding the bow steady.  This occurs no matter what weight I am pulling (42 or 52).  Any methods or exercises that I can employ to minimize this issue?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you improve bow arm stabilty
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Hey Rick, I'm still very new to this and not at all qualified to give a response to any question but I'll try anyway.  I've been dealing with the same issue lately after a bit of downtime as far as shooting goes.  Something that seems to have helped lately is spending some time on the blank bale and really concentrate on pushing my bow hand toward the target.  It really seemed to click with me the other day, and now I can tell that my bow arm isn't jumping around near as bad.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
Do you shake while doing isometric exercises? Try putting both arms on your chair and lift yourself off the chair.  Or put both arms behind you with your hands flat against a wall and lean back. Hold and see if you start getting a quiver.

I am bringing this up because you mentioned that it does not matter what the poundage is. It may not be a problem with actual muscle but a neuro problem. It also could be an electrolyte problem (blood test could show this).

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Well, tried the chair thing as suggested and was shaking.  So, if it is neuro related then what can I do to resolve the issue or can I?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
If you stop pulling,,....you will likely shake...if you never really stop pulling, and continue to creep rearward....you wont shake.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Question, is it something that is happening without you noticing? I ask because there is a person that I am working with right now that has it (all the time), he really does not notice it (he was never without it, so he does not know the difference) unless it is pointed out or he just happens to think about it. He is just like you in that it does not matter what poundage he is using. Many people believe he is over-bowed or offer all kinds of different advice, which is not helping him.

I would suggest finding out if there is medical reason.

Before the next time you go for a checkup tell the Doctor your problem and ask for an Electrolyte analysis. This is easily fixable. If there is an imbalance they may recommend supplements such as magnesium. If it is neurological, there is not a lot to do, but don’t be too concerned.

Many coaches believe that this quiver will not be much of a detriment to shooting ability at all. Strength training can help to a point along with biomechanical movements and alignments. Also FWIW, there is a Resident Archer at the Olympic Training Center right now that has this.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
Thanks all for all the feedback!!! That is why this is such an awesome site!!!

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
If you stop pulling,,....you will likely shake...if you never really stop pulling, and continue to creep rearward....you wont shake.
That was my problem. I'm self-taught so it's taken awhile. Once I figured out the back-tension thing, I noticed something else. When I get to the last inch of my draw, it seems my body settles down, takes a "set" if you will, and I am perfectly still. If I can time my release with it, I remain on target. If I delay, I wiggle again.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
The never stop pulling is a big part. If it is a muscle thing There is a physical threopy tool called the body blade. It will make a diffferance.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Old Vet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 06:41:00 AM »
I would guess you switched over from a wheel bow. Compounds are effective machines, but since they do alot of the work for you, they also take away from the basics of archery. Keeping back tension all the way through the shot and following through will steady your bow arm.
" Aim small....miss small"
Dwyer Dauntless; Black Widow PSA & PA; Mike Sullivan "Shadow" Recurve.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by BobCo 1965:
Many coaches believe that this quiver will not be much of a detriment to shooting ability at all.
That's true.  I was shooting in an indoor tournament next to a compound shooter who had that problem.  He had a long stabilizer on his bow, and was quivering so much as he held at full draw that the stabilizer was vibrating.  I don't think he had any shots out of the 10 ring, and easily won his division.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
Squeeze a tennis ball constantly throughout the day. This will help build up you strength in your hand and forearm.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ujio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Your arm is going to move a little.  Joel Turner makes a big point about this on Masters of the Barebow 4.  

The other issue might be not having good bow alignment.  The more you employ your muscles to hold the bow arm steady the more it will shake.  I always have to work on relaxing by bow arm

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©