Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Question for three under shooters  (Read 918 times)

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for three under shooters
« on: February 17, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »
Shooting three under, which of your fingers holds the most weight?  

I've been working on learning to shoot three under for about a year now after shooting split since I started as a small boy.  When I shot split, my middle (driving   ;)   ) finger held the most weight, index next, and the ring finger there but mostly just along for the ride.  I'm not yet convinced three under is for me, I like some things about it but it still doesn't feel natural.  Hard to change forty year old habits.

Seems like you would want the finger right under the nock to hold the most weight.  Holding the weight on my index finger doesn't feel comfortable though, even though the bow is quieter when I do.  All of my bows are tillered for split.

Break down what's happening with your fingers and grip for me.  I'd like to hear how you hold the string.

Offline momo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for three under shooters
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
when i shoot three under it was the middle finger also then index and so onbut im not say it right thats just me i switched to spilt from three under
vern thompson

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
I'm also working on changing to 3-under after 40 years of shooting split. The jury is still out, but I'm starting to like it. I find the weight distribution to be a little more on the index, then middle and very little on the ring finger.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
I'm with you on being undecided.  Maybe it's just hard to change old habits.  If I take most of the weight on my index finger the bow is quieter, so that makes me think the system is more efficient.

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
I think the most of my strength is in my index and middle finger so the string rests on these two primarily, but I try to put equal weight on all three, since three will carry the load easier than two.
I also try to put the string in the middle of my finger pads, not in the first joint, but between the tip of my fingers and the first joint. This gives me the smoothest and cleanest release...hard to do though.

Offline 68_super_k

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
my style is similar to that of hockey7 in terms of string placement on my fingers, however most of the weight is actually carried on my middle finger and then distributed evenly through the other two.  I'm not sure that this is how it should be but it seems to be how it is for me.  I have noticed that when I used to shoot split all the wear was on my middle and bottom finger with very little being on the index finger.  Hope this helps a little.  Just seems to be my middle finger doing most of the work...(uh that sounded bad but you know what I mean.)

Offline momo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
i use to shoot three under and switch to split.i just got rid of a nice bow i bought because it was tillered for  three finger under  i wasnt about to change  i belive the middle finger doing most of the work on split and middle and pointer equal on three under with ring finger for the ride i think i just feel more pinch
vern thompson

Offline chuckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
just enough on  all three to keep the string on , i cant tell any diff on one or the other, chuck
2010 ASA  
TRADITIONAL
WORLD CHAMP

Offline Jorja Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Thanks for starting this conversation. I just started learning archery. I was over bowed with just a 50 lb martin savannah. I noticed my string hand was trying to ball up in a fist during last few inches of draw, causing me to torque the string inward on the index finger side of my hand. I read this post today *cough* during work *cough* . Drew my brand new 46 lb. Toelke Lynx and noticed the same thing happening. With this thread in the back of my mind, I tried shooting while transferring the majority of the pressure from my index finger to my middle finger. Instant fix. Thing is, I had been trying to fix this string torquing problem for several days. Trying to consciously refrain from bending the first knuckles was not working. Reading 68_Super_K's reply fixed it. Made a big difference in my accuracy and confidence. The fact that I switched to this amazing Lynx might be a factor too. This is my first step in the right direction. With only 6 months or so lurking in these forums, two bows and two shooting sessions. Thanks y'all.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
The middle finger seems to be a little stronger and I let it do the work it wants to do. I also try not to think too much about anything my string hand does except the act of getting a good anchor. When I over thing things everything gets awkward and jerky and my shooting goes down the drain for a while.

The old Howard Hill trick of letting your ring finger start the release seems to work well for me with 3-under shooting.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline fatzboys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
i shoot 3 under.i would say same amount on all three but my middle finger is curled around the string more than the other.relaxed is whats helping me.

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
I try my best to keep equal pressure across all three fingers from the time I address the string thru going to conclusion.

Offline MAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
I put most of the pressure on my bottom finger.  I actually relax my index finger and almost point it at the target.  I played around with shooting thru paper and this gave nme the best arrow flight.  Even though you shoot 3 under you can still pinch the nock, and bend your arrow down same as split.

BTW - The strongest finger on your hand is your pinky. Try to twist off a bottle cap with your other fingers sometime.

Offline HenrikBP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
My release and arrow flight *seems* to be better when I put most pressure on the middle finger, a bit less on the index finger, and the ring finger is mostly along for the ride and maybe help align my hand.

For me, too much ring finger seems to make me torque and pluck the string.
Morrison 17" ILF riser w/ "long" foam core recurve limbs. 47# @ 28"
Morrison 15" metal riser w/ "Short" Max1 limbs. 45# @ 27"
Toelke Whip HS TD 58", 47# @ 28"
Martin Hatfield TD. 55# @ 28"

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by HenrikBP:
My release and arrow flight *seems* to be better when I put most pressure on the middle finger, a bit less on the index finger, and the ring finger is mostly along for the ride and maybe help align my hand.

For me, too much ring finger seems to make me torque and pluck the string.
This is pretty much what I've found over the last few weeks too.  I'm better off just keeping the feel in my fingers the same as when I shot split.  Deep hook with the heaviest load on my middle finger, least on my ring finger.  It feels natural and it's consistent.  

Just wish I could get the same soft and quiet shot out of the bow shooting three under as I can shooting split.  Always a little more buzz and vibration shooting three under for me.

Offline Atennishu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
for me the most pressure is on the middle and then the ring, I seem to shoot better with a relaxed index finger as I seem to be softer on the nock with it,
Boomer Sooner

Offline DEP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
When I switched to 3 under I found myself pointing my fingers down on about a 30 degree angle. This just seemed natural, and I think I had been doing it for some time before I noticed. I didn't do this when I shot split. I hook to the first joint and don't curl my fingers any more than necessary. I still shoot a few split once in a while just to compare the two methods.  I don't notice any of my four bows making more noise when shot 3 under.

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
I put most weight on the middle finger also. With middle finger pulled back slightly to line up grooves at finger joint with the other two fingers. Using a thin tab to feel the string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©