Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: ? about three under  (Read 1228 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
? about three under
« on: February 17, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
So I have shot split finger from the start and just watched Kenny M's shop video and saw him shooting three under. So my ? is what advantage does it have? and does sighting down the arrow make it easier or harder to shoot at long distances?

And when I shoot split I have full vision of my target and spot, does the eye sighting the arrow limit the view of the animal and area around it?

Just curious,Thanks Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? about three under
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
I just started playing with 3under( cause RC does it) I'm more accurate so far, and it doesn't interfere with vision out to 20 anyway for me. I don't shoot farther than that for whitetails anyway...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
I switched to 3 under a couple years ago. My groups improved a bunch after just a couple weeks.

As far as sight picture goes I dont notice much difference. I try not to focus on any thing but the target but the arrow closer to the eye is a big plus in my book. Seems to eliminate most left/right misses.

For long distances I guess it would depend on your aiming style. I focus on the same spot at 10 yards as I do at 50 and let my hat rack do the rest. For different styles it might take some getting used to.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Have you guys gone back and forth between the two styles?
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
I used to find that it was easier to shoot at closer targets with 3 under and easier to shoot targets from farther back with split finger. I now shoot split finger and got more precise with my gaps as I think it more efficiently powers the bow. I do think 3 under is easier up close because it puts the arrow closer to your eye. Farther away I think it is harder because too much of the point covers your target.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Why don't you just try 3 under for yourself and see how you like it! That's the best way.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
I made a few bows for guys that shoot 3 under.  I simply make them neutral tiller or have the lower limb a tiny bit more, barely measurable.  Anyhow, I try and get the brace ht established as being shot 3 under and I honestly can't tell the difference other than it's harder to keep the arrow on the string and my groups are higher. I personally don't see the point to it.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
I've been shooting three under for the last year or so after shooting split all my life.  I have mixed feelings.  I think my shooting is a little more consistent at bowhunting ranges and it's easier to get a clean release.  But I don't like the way my bows sound or feel.  They are all tillered for split and tune fine three under, but 3U is always a little louder, leaves more vibration in the bow, and I feel like the arrows are just hanging out there waiting to get knocked off.

I decided to give three under a try because every fall my fingers start to split.  Dry air, leather gloves, I don't know why but the bleeding cracks are always right on the tip of my right index finger, in just the right spot to get pinched shooting split.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
Three under with a tab gets me a cleaner release. If you try it you will probably need to raise your nock point a bit, check bareshaft tune.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Have you guys gone back and forth between the two styles?
Nope, made the switch a while ago, and see no advantage of going back to split finger.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
I switched 10 years ago, with a tab I found I got a cleaner release and when I do everything right I'm a much better shot. I have messed around trying to go back to split finger and found I just can not do it.My sight picture is so ingrained in my mind I wind up shooting really high and it's not worth fooling with so I stay 3 under. Try it ....you may like it!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
I played with three under off and on for a couple of years and hunted that way this year. I have to say I shoot much better three under. I do not look at the arrow or "aim". I shoot no different than I did shooting split other than the way I hold the string.I don`t judge distance or gap shoot. There is nothing wrong with that if it helps a fellow I just learned to shoot by looking where I want the arrow to go and shoot.
 The only draw back I have is I cannot get the bow as quiet as I would like and longbows seem to have a little more shock to them.Heavy wood arrows have seemed to help . I may buy next bow tillered for 3 under just to see. I shot split the last few days and shot good. I shot 3 under today and shot better.It is for sure a cleaner release for me and I will continue to shoot this way.RC

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
I switch back and forth regularly....kind of.  I shoot split finger, left handed and 3 under right handed....Really I do!!  When I made the switch to LH a couple of years ago to match my dominant eye, everything felt so awkward that I was willing to change anything that I needed to to improve my accuracy.  Early on, I was taught to shoot 3 under right handed with middle finger at corner of my mouth.  For some reason, this method resulted in low shots when shooting LH.  I wanted to maintain my middle finger anchor point so I switched to split finger and the problem went away.  I really don't see much of a difference either way but then again, maybe I just can't shoot well enough to tell    :D  My bows do have a different "feel" to them shooting 3 under and as stated, they do seem louder as well.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
I originaly shot split finger but once I tried 3 under my shooting got way better.Never looked back at split fingers again.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
I shot split finger during my first go round with recurves in the early 1970's. Now into my second go round I'm shooting 3-fingers under.

I find it is simply more comfortable for me. I used to get sorefingers where the fingernail on the index finger came into contact with the arrow nock.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
I shot split for a lot of years.  Went to 3 under when trained for NASP.  Bought my first recurve tillred for three under.  I could shoot it pretty well.  Bought a longbow and shot split since that was the style it was tillered for.  Recently started shooting the recurve again.   Started three under again.  I have gone back to split.  The release felt distorted.  I could shoot it accurately, but it just felt like it forced me to pluck the string more. Bringing the arrow closer to the center in the bend of the string felt more efficient.   Just my two cents.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
I shoot 3 under, and am more accurate for it. I am also a gap shooter, so for me it just makes good sense.  Caution! I have tried going back to split just for fun, and can't. I am sure it would be like learning all over again.
Ken Thornhill

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
So do you aim point on at your focused spot(under 20) with three under?. And currently I am not allowed to shoot due to a back injury.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
I have shot both, and find that I am more accurate three under.  I think, for me, the increased accuracy is because I can get 4 points of contact at anchor and for split finger I get 2.  

The only reason I have switched back and forth a couple of times is because I like how the bow is more "dead" in my hand when shooting split finger.

If you switch, or goof around with it, which I think you should, I would suggest you do it way in advance of any hunting you may do.  When I am hunting I want everything to do with the bow to be "natural" and I don't want to think about "choosing" three under or split.

Have fun.  And if you do try, just get over how "goofy" it feels.  When I switched the first time, I literally felt "yuk", as it felt that unnatural and weird.  I got past that and now three under feels natural.

Offline 68_super_k

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under and like it.  However I will say that after shooting at 12 yards in my basement for a couple months I accidentally developed a gap without realizing it.  The arrow was playing more importance than it should have been and that threw me off.  After a month or so of readjusting my focus I got rid of the accidental gap shooting I was doing.  Total focus and concentration on target.  As far as 3 under vs split my vote goes for 3 under after shooting split for a while.  My groups are just tighter and I like the feel of it.  Seems more natural to me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©