Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Target Panic Reality Check  (Read 17690 times)

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Target Panic Reality Check
« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
flingblade, You can still use the feather to your nose as a draw check if they are still set up that way. When I use the sear I draw until my feathers touch my nose and them engage the sear.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: July 09, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
cch,
That's exactly what I've been doing since my arrows are already set up that way.  It gives me another anchor reference but as I engage the sear I have noticed a tendency to creep as my mind is only thinking about pressing on the sear.  This is the ticket though!  At first I wasn't sure but when Joel posted that you could use a groove in your riser to pop your thumb nail off it all clicked.  I realized it didn't need to be anything more than what I have in the picture.  I shot a 3d course with a couple local tradgangers last weekend and was very happy with my control.  I have become a process focused shooter more than a results focused shooter and that is exactly what I needed.  I have found that my mind is quite undisciplined.  It does take effort or mental discipline on every shot.  I hope Joel is able to get some classes going.
Going to try a different link to get the full size picture.

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: July 11, 2012, 02:39:00 AM »
Fling blade,

Good work sir.  Once you understand the mental mechanics and psychological triggers, the world of archery is yours to control.  As long as you have the discipline to stop a bad shot before it happens, your process will be infallible and indefinite.  Congrats on finding a sear location that works for you.  I just traveled to Colorado to give some private lessons and I will be starting formal classes as soon as anyone will have me.  I am trying to schedule one at ********* archery in the upcoming winter.

Take care ,

JT
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4
2x World Elk Calling Champion / Pro Division

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: July 16, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
Nice. I'm close to ******* ... I think. :-)

Seriously, if it's where I think it is, I'm close.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Footed Shaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Flingblade, can u post a pic with your fingers/thumb in the proper location? I have been really lax on getting my tab set up with a sear and would like a couple ideas on where to start.
Bill

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
Footed Shaft,
Here is a picture of when I start the draw

and when I am at full draw I raise my thumb slightly to hook my thumbnail on the sear

Hope this helps.  As you can see this is the natural position for my thumb.  With the sear lower on the tab I had to force my thumb down which put too much tension in my string hand.  This position seems to be working well for me but I am sure everyone is different in that regard.

Offline Footed Shaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Awesome, thnx for the pictures!! I just need to get on this project now  :)
Bill

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
I suffer from it bad, been working on focuseing more on my anchor and less on the shot, but still am haveing trouble. No one has ever taught me trad archery so there for I am trying to teach my-self, not alot of people around here to shoot with to watch me and help me!
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
yekrut, Give Joel a call. He is very helpful and can give you some good tips to shoot better. His number is in previous posts.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Joel has helped me more than anyone ever has in the last 50+yrs. His feather to the nose method works well once you have it down. I am fortunate to live near him so his knowledge of tuning and setup has come in very handy...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline horsehairhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
TTT

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: August 20, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
think I might call joel, my tp is all messed up!
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline Sky Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
Very interesting thread.  I have read all 15 pages, and understand the mental concepts of concentration and triggers better than ever.  Thank you.

I have had issues with my subconscious controlling my release, thus not reaching full draw.  I have shot many thousands of arrows, and have come to this conclusion:  the best indicator of whether my shot will be successful is if I completely reach full draw.  Of course that's because I let my subconscious dictate the timing of the release.  

This is something that I didn't recognize as TP, because I considered TP to be holding too long.

As I understand it, I have been using an anticipatory psychotrigger, and thinking about the psychotrigger.  I already began employing the mantra to focus on the motion and not on the trigger, and that helps, but I understand it is still anticipatory.  I will try to find a non-anticipatory trigger.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: September 19, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Wow!

Just found this thread. Interesting stuff. When I first watch this stuff in MBB 4 last summer I shook my head and said "thats why I'm shoooting traditional not a compound shooter." However after reading all this I have completely changed my mind.  Non anticipatory Psychotrigger doesn't sound so crazy   :)  

I'm a stuck off target guy and try to move to the target and more often than not my shot goes off during the initial move or at least before settling on the target. My thought process is definately "dang, I'm stuck...I'm stuck...don't blow up".  My words were killing me   :)  

I was no where near seperating aiming from my shot sequence/trigger.

Anyone made one of these sear out of something from a regular hardware store. Seems like there should be something we could find that would work.

Thanks,

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Jimbow39

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: September 22, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Clickerman, If you ever decide to start a school for target panic, please let me know. I need help badly.
JIM

Offline horsehairhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: September 23, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
Jim- I know Joel (clickerman) is looking to do archery classes-if you have a club or group in the area he will probably come out.  You can also give him a call-he has talked a lot of folks through his shot process over the phone.  I'm not sure if he's home from elk hunting just yet, but he'll call you back once he has time.

Offline Jimbow39

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
Thanks horsehairhunter. I'll try to give him a call later in the week. I belong to three clubs in the area but they are all finished with their shoots for the year. Do you think he would travel to Ohio? JIM

Offline horsehairhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
Jim- I don't want to speak for Joel, but I do know he wants to start classes so I would encourage you to contact him.

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
Jimbow39,

I just returned this morning from a successful elk hunting trip in Colorado.  I will travel anywhere folks need some help with target panic.  Give me a call anytime at 253-686-3623.  I just got some voicemails from a few of you that I will attempt to return in the next few days.  I have been pretty much out of cell service for quite a while on elk trips.  But I am back in the saddle again with some interesting shot experiences that occurred on my elk trip.  Talk to you soon,

JT
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4
2x World Elk Calling Champion / Pro Division

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
This is a breakdown of my shot process. I concentrate on the spot, I use my window on my riser to look and line up the target. My arrow is pointing to the left of the target. I have only a slight rise of my bow arm when I do (Moebows)rotational draw method. I comeback and around then in to my anchor point. I shoot a cavalier tab and I push the top metal part against my cheekbone. I then touch my nose to my feather for a second anchor point. At this point my arrow has pivoted around and is faceing the target. I line up the arrow looking at the spot. My hand is loose as I draw around and I am thinking about my shoulders backs muscles popping out. When I have everything feeling right, I take my thumb and touch a small surgery finger plate that I attached to my cavalier tab. When I release, I am sure to pull straight back and my follow through is touching my thumb to my shoulder. I am thinking to my self pull, pull, pull. I use the touch of my thumb to the plate as my psycho trigger. I do not get my thumb  on the plate until I am ready to shoot. So far, so good. I have not shot prematurely. I wonder if it will come back once I get use to the plate.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©