Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Target Panic Reality Check  (Read 17672 times)

Offline Matt Parker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Target Panic Reality Check
« Reply #320 on: March 16, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
I like the clicker because you never know when it will go off, so you can't anticipate the release. Plus you come to good solid anchor before the pulling continues to the clicker. Everything else I have tried doesn't work long because it can be anticipated. But if it works for you then that is all that matters.
Matt Parker

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #321 on: March 19, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Just wanted to thank Joel for working with me.  I don't consider myself to have target panick in the general sense.  What I was looking for was a system to control my shot sequence when am worn out mentaly and physicaly. In a nut shell I was looking to keep my usually dependable subconcious from exercising its desire for efficiency and short circuiting my shot when under stress.  The manifestation of my issue came after shooting competitive 3D for a couple hours.  I found my scores dipped in the last third of longer courses.

I now feel like I have a system to break that cycle when I feel my mental focus fuzzing out.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #322 on: March 23, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »
Joel,

I got your vid at Kzoo and like it. I'm having trouble with the clicker, but I think it's due to fatigue or not being able to concentrate on the mantra. I even almost yell it. What are your thoughts: I either draw initially too far and it clicks..I let down a little and then sight, then never make it click again despite pulling...Or I draw to anchor, start to pull through to make it click, but poof the arrow is gone.  I know it's lack of control, and I've  had trouble with clicker string length adjustment. I feel like with a longbow, I just don't always draw the same distance, as it depends on the position of me/target.

Grrr

The arrows are perfectly placed every time so I know it will work for me, but I'd like to get control of the situation here.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #323 on: March 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
Been working on my 3D/field point non-anticipatory trigger since hunting season is over and 3D tournaments are coming around. I'm having trouble finding that perfect trigger.  When hunting I use my simmons broadhead as my trigger with the back of the broadhead draw check.  It works perfect for me. Can't use that with field points so...  

I tried the feather to nose trick last year but for some reason I couldn't make it work. It felt like it changed how I draw.  I tried the tab sear and didn't care for that much.  I settled on using a kisser button on the string. I had it set up so it would touch my eyebrow/forehead area. It seemed to work ok for a while but I had some inconsistencies in actually getting it to touch my forehead and my anchor point seemed to creep back to the far edge of my cheek bone instead of right under my eye.  
So I've moved my anchor point back to under my eye because I'm certainly more accurate with that set up.  In doing so the feather to nose seems to work better now.  Not sure what is different.  However during the 3D shoot I attended today I found myself still having trouble finding the feather.  It wasn't a target panic issue, it was more of a deal where I found my head position to be inconsistent and thus it was hard to "find the tip of my nose."
I think I need to stand in front of a mirror and see exactly where my head needs to be from a form standpoint so I can consistently hit the tip of my nose.

Any tips from others who use the feather to the tip of your nose?

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #324 on: April 01, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
If the broadhead worked for you then try oversized fieldpoints.  That is assuming you are using screw-ins.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #325 on: April 01, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
Ok I need a bit of clarification on the oversized field point issue. Not sure where I would get that or is it something I have the wrap up the end of the arrow to build it up?  I always figured that would change how the arrow flies.  Anyone have any pictures?
CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #326 on: June 26, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
TTT

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #327 on: June 27, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
Just started shooting my longbow a month ago after a few month layoff. I just focused on my target and shot, worked pretty good until the old TP started coming back.

Then I went over my notes I took when I spoke with Joel last year and started using the "keep pulling" mantra and shot sequence.

This works good except I have a hard time, kind of a mental block when I get settled in and try to activate the shot. The mantra doesn't seem to help, I find I get better results if I focus only on movement.

Everything else works, no other problems, accuracy is better than ever. Just struggle to get the feather to my nose.

Any suggestions.
TOBY

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #328 on: June 27, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
The mantra is to help you get to your trigger. You have to make it mandatory to have your feather touch your nose or you let down and not shoot. After you are able to let down you will find it easier to get to your trigger. You my want to try a clicker to a while until you get the hang of it.

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #329 on: June 27, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
Cch, good advice. I need to let down when I freeze up. Only reward the correct sequence. I will work on that.

I am amazed at how just the thought of having to touch the feather to my nose allows me to hold at anchor. I don't even think about aiming, just let the aiming take care of itself. I used to trigger when it thought I had a sight picture, got real ugly.

Now, I feel myself improving each day. Just need to refine a few things.
TOBY

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #330 on: June 30, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
MissouriCK,  Not sure what kind of arrows you are using.  Do they have tunable nocks?  I adjust the position of the feather so it touches the tip of my nose by turning the nock and drawing the bow to check.  I fletch my own arrows so I have the feather the correct distance from the nock.  For me the feather needs to be angled down slightly to touch the very tip of my nose.  If it is straight out it hits higher on my nose which increases draw length and makes it hard to get to.  IMO you shouldn't be trying to "find the feather".  If you start thinking about something other than pulling let down and start over.  I will occasionally draw not intending to shoot and just pull back until the feather touches so I know it is in the right spot.  This increases my confidence in the system and helps set muscle memory for what the proper draw length is to get to the trigger.  Hope this makes some sense.  Good luck.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #331 on: July 08, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
If anyone is going to Denton Hill Joel is doing a couple of seminars, check it out it might help you.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #332 on: October 11, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
ttt
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #333 on: March 22, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Thought I would bring this back up. I have been hearing a bunch of target panic talk going on.
Chris

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #334 on: March 29, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
I received Joel's video about three weeks ago and have been working on things.  I was a "hill style" snap shooter and sometimes I could shoot great, and other times down right terrible.  Basically no consistency.  Holding at full draw was simply unthinkable.  And the biggest reason why I couldn't hold a full draw was because I didn't know what to do one I reached the corner of my mount.  I had previously tried numerous other techniques, but ended up frustrated and always went back to my snap shooting.

Joel's method makes so much sense!!!    Now, I know what I'm supposed to do once I get to full draw.  I can even let down when things aren't right. When I execute everything correctly and continue to pull the feather to my nose, it's a good shot.  The one thing that I have noticed is that when my mental state breaks down, the gremlin sneaks back in, and I release before I should, its a REALLY BAD shot.  But these are getting fewer and fewer during a shooting session.  I think I'm on my way to better shooting (At least I've seen enough improvement so far that I've stuck with Joel's method longer than anything else I've ever tried.)
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #335 on: April 06, 2015, 12:50:00 AM »
John,

Just remember, there is no system that will work for you.  You have to WORK FOR IT!!!!  Get better at putting yourself in the process of that last quarter inch of pulling.  Get better at recognizing when the shot is outside the perfect mold.  If it is outside the mold, LET IT DOWN!!!!  That's the only way to get better at concentration.  I have a whole new way of explaining the system to people that has been born from my recent research in motor learning and performance.  It gives the mental mechanics much more of a scientific backing, very exciting stuff!!!  As always, I am only a phone call away.  253-686-3623
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4
2x World Elk Calling Champion / Pro Division

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #336 on: April 07, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
I'd love to hear your new thoughts on this, Joel, whether here, a new CD, or in one of your clinics.  Do you post a schedule of your upcoming clinics anywhere?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #337 on: April 07, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
McDave,

I don't have a schedule yet.  The only ones scheduled so far are next week at the Pope and Young Club convention in Phoenix AZ, I will be doing 4 days of seminars and one on one instruction, and the second weekend of July in Denver CO at ROCKY MOUNTAIN SPECIALTY GEAR.  I am also starting a new website that will be out in a few weeks.  

JT
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4
2x World Elk Calling Champion / Pro Division

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #338 on: April 08, 2015, 12:22:00 AM »
I think I've come to the conclusion that target panic is just a bad habit, or learned shooting personality. Repetitive behaviors (unfocused shots, mindlessly flung arrows) grow into persistent attitudes ("I just can't shoot today" or "I'm just not a very good shot").  These self doubting attitudes, in succession, grow and build upon each other to form a bad shooting personality riddled with doubt and an unconscious, unpredictable shooting style, aka target panic. I feel that I walk a fine line between controlled snap shooting and target panic.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #339 on: April 08, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Joel what is your bow set up and thoughts on bow weight related to target panic problems.
Do you just practice  shoot with your hunting bow?
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©