Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Target Panic Reality Check  (Read 17675 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Target Panic Reality Check
« Reply #340 on: April 09, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
The best thing I ever did about target panic is to get over what I thought was the correct bow weight for me to shoot. As soon as a I dropped weight to a level that was better suited for me, the sky opened up.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #341 on: April 12, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
Joel -

Do you plan to come to Denton Hill again this year?

Ron

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #342 on: April 12, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
LongStick- I envy that quick of a fix. I couldn't sell my brain and buy one more suited to my shooting style. The TP trouble I've experienced wrecked my shooting with a 65# bow or a 40# bow, it didn't matter as it was entirely in my head.  I'd release prematurely with a wrist rocket.  When I screwed my head back on straight, thanks to advice from Joel Turner, I can shoot any bow I like, but I'm happy with mid-low fifty pounders.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #343 on: April 12, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
Just last week I took Joel up on his offer and gave him a call. Despite the fact I was caller number 208 he was incredibly willing to speak with me, and we were on the phone for almost an hour. What he said was exciting and makes perfect sense. Once I have given his suggestions a thorough and consistent application I will report back with my thoughts.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #344 on: April 12, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
Brent
Speaking with Joel the first step is to be able to set your sight picture and then keep it. The problem I feel is many are overbowed that they are fighting to establish and keep the sight picture which makes it impossible to move on to get to the point of "keep pulling". For me and I know it's not the case for all, simply reducing weight has allowed me to work through all of Joel's technique without the use of a hard trigger like a clicker.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #345 on: April 06, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »
Just read all 23 enlightening pages, great information.

Think I'll adjust my fletch and try the nose to feather...

TTT                >>------->

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #346 on: April 06, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
In keeping with my promise from almost a year ago I am reporting back with my thoughts on Joel's system:
It has definitely worked for me, and I'm shooting better than I ever have. I am the one that now controls my bow; not the other way around. Shooting has become enjoyable.
Thanks for sharing your experience, Joel!

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #347 on: April 07, 2016, 12:11:00 AM »
Thanks Kevin, it's good to hear.  I would enjoy hearing how others are doing with the psyco-trigger / feather to nose this past year.

The past few months I have been doing the "mantra" as Joel describes and keeping good form while practicing Kidwell's drills for TP,  and also shooting a lot of blank bale.  Form work...

I've been doing most of what Joel suggest as well, excluding the non anticipatory release.  The time has come for me to give it a try and I'm going with the feather to the nose.

My TP is fairly tame after a lot of hard work but at 3D events, it falls short, due to pressure of wanting to score will.  The site picture triggers my release with a short draw.  I can still score ok as my alignment is good and I'm using back tension but TP is still winning is certain shooting situations, and my scoring suffers.

This morning I moved my fletch and did the feather to nose to trigger the release.  And it worked well.

I visited the local range and I was able to concentrate on the movement to get me to my trigger.  Results were scary good.

While I would say I hit anchor 100% of the time (which is awesome) I'd say I only got through the mantra 60% of the time, which isn't so good.  

My shot placement was well and most of my shots were 20- 30 yards, but from everything I hear and read, it's really about a consistent shot sequence which also includes the mantra to activate the muscles to get me to my non anticipatory trigger...  I'm pleased with todays results.  

Great thread here...

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #348 on: April 07, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
If you haven't already, I would give Joel a call and talk to him. Take notes on the conversation, too. You won't regret it.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #349 on: April 09, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »
TP is a nasty mental joke that our subconscious perpetrates on us when we fail to pay attention to what we're doing.

the few times the TP bug struck me down hard, i just picked up ONE arrow, slowly drew and aimed at a tree stump or butt (no aiming spot or target) a few yards away as if my life depended on killing that tree or butt before it killed me.  

repeat as needed, slowly but surely.  that's what it takes, there's no way around it, it's all about head games.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #350 on: April 19, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
I would like to bring this back to the top.  Mr. Turner, thank you so much for your contributions.  I have read this thread in its entirety.  You recently helped my brother at a seminar, and I plan on attending one when I am in the area next.

Thanks so much, sir.

Jake Scott
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #351 on: June 30, 2016, 02:55:00 AM »
Bumping this thread up on top again, because this is really good stuff! But I experience a little different "gremlin". When it strikes me, and it only strikes when shooting at targets, I an afraid to let the string go. No early release for me, but I stand there at full draw until the shakes get me, then I release. The result is the same... A bad shot. I never get this problem while stumping alone in the woods, so it might have some of the same causes as TP.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #352 on: September 13, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #353 on: June 14, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »
Some good info in this one!
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #354 on: June 14, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »
Agreed! If a person is afflicted with TP you can definitely benefit from Joel's knowledge.

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #355 on: June 18, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »
I Have been using Joel"s system for a while now and am shooting as well as I ever have. I can honestly say that my TP is as well as gone(when using his system) and my 3D scores show it. I am averaging over 170 this year on 20 target 3D courses with my highest score being a 184. Shooting is fun again.
   I also use a feather to the nose trigger. It works well for me.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #356 on: June 23, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
it's all about head games

X's 2, Rob

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #357 on: June 28, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
Could somebody explain what is needed to create a Tab Sear? I'd like to give it a try.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #358 on: June 28, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
As I recall, there are photos of some of his earlier versions of the tab sear buried somewhere in the many pages of this topic.  These appeared very similar to the lacing hooks that are on some boots once you lace past the eyelets.

His more recent versions appear to be two nylon washers, one slightly larger than the other.  The larger one goes on top.  In either case, they are fastened to the tab with a rivet or some similar way.

The idea is to hook your thumbnail on the edge of the sear, and press down on it as you expand.  So you have to select some place on your tab to mount the sear where you can press down without having to move your thumb to some unnatural position.  When your thumbnail slips off the edge of the sear, that is your trigger to shoot the bow.

For this to work, the trigger has to be a surprise.  Obviously, you could just force your thumbnail down on the sear and make it slip off, but that would defeat the purpose of the sear.  You have to steadily increase pressure until your thumbnail slips off at some unknown moment.  

In fact, the key to Joel's whole system is to focus all your attention during expansion on the movement required to activate the trigger.  When Joel asks you the question, "What were you thinking about during the shot?" any answer other than focusing on the movement required to activate the trigger is the wrong answer.

An alternative to the tab sear is the grip sear, where you mount the sear somewhere on your bow handle where it can be conveniently reached by your bow hand thumbnail.

Joel encourages using your own imagination in creating a sear, or even using some feature, such as a ridge or bump on the bow handle, that is already there.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #359 on: June 28, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »
Thanks Mcdave I've been watching his Iron Mind videos on YouTube and reading up as well but couldn't seem to get the exact information I was looking for. Your reply helped.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©