Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Target Panic Reality Check  (Read 17677 times)

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Target Panic Reality Check
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
Joel,
I like to bowfish in the spring and the shooting is usually fast and furious snap shooting with a bare shaft (no feathers).  Is this shooting going to undermine the progress I have made using your shooting system or is it possible to go back and forth between the shooting styles depending on the situation at hand?  Also, have you made shots on animals that were walking using your system?  I have never liked bleating or making a sound to stop an animal as I feel this just makes them more likely to jump the string?  
Thanks!
Gary

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Hello All,

I said that I was wanted to protect the Tab Sear concept, but I have received some very good advice on the patent process and it sounds like it would not be worth my while.  

So here it is.  I created the Tab Sear after realizing that those archers that were really at the top of the heap (Professional finger shooters) were not using a clicker.  Some of them are what I would consider an anomaly, a person that can draw and hold on a target with no shot anticipation.  Those people are very few and far between, people like Byron Ferguson, Addington, and Eagleton.  The rest of the folks, instead of using a clicker on their bow, use a clicker on their tab or at least in their hand. The professionals that I studied are not stickbow people, but rather pro finger compound shooters.  

When using a clicker in the hand, the archer is able to use muscles that are totally uninvolved in the shot.  In other words, they don't have to pull extra back tension and add outside influences into the shot, yet they are getting the benefit of a surprise release.  There are a few contraptions out there that people have come up with, but they have been extremely secretive about their design.

The Tab Sear is named as such because it works on the same concept as a trigger sear in a firearm.  Two surfaces are pulled apart until they disconnect.  Here is a simple drill to see the concept.  Take your pinky fingernail and put it underneath your thumbnail on the same hand.  Now press your thumb towards your palm very slowly.  You will notice that the pressure  will build and then, all of sudden, the pinky nail will pop out from under the thumbnail at some unpredictable point.  That, my friends, is a perfect non-anticipatory psychological trigger!!!!  So I took that concept and put a small metal plate on the back lower corner of the tab in the proper angle and length so it sits where my thumb rests at full draw.  

I simply draw back and aim, when my aim is done and I give it away to the subconscious, I hook my thumbnail on the tab sear that is connected to the tab.  When I want to activate my shot, I concentrate on pressing the sear towards my palm at a rate that is slow and smooth.  Exactly the rate that you would if you were pressing a trigger on a firearm and attempting to get a surprise break on the trigger.  I am saying to myself, Keep Pressing, Keep Pressing, Keep Pressing... until the sear disconnects from my thumbnail.  When the sear pops out from underneath the nail, it is my psychotrigger to release the string.  Again, you are not thinking about the sear, you are thinking about the action that gets the sear to pop.  The release of the string is instantaneous because the sear pop is the "GO" signal.

Folks, I have tested this system extensively under extreme stress and I have found it to work flawlessly.  I have harvested several big critters with it including a bull elk and bull moose last year with my longbow.

Tournament scores have skyrocketed, but more importantly, control of the shot and group size has become phenomenal.  It may sound like another gimmick, but the psychotrigger of choice is not the key, the mental mechanics behind the use of the psychotrigger is the true cure for target panic.

I am designing a tab right now with a sear on it that will be adjustable to the hands of most archers.  Anyone know of a source of good Cordovan other then directly from Horweens?
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4
2x World Elk Calling Champion / Pro Division

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Gary,

I used the tab sear last year while doing some fast and furious bowfishing, worked like a charm.  So I guess that answers the moving target question.  I also used it on ground squirrels in Montana last year with great sucess on moving critters.  If you are using the feather to nose technique and trying to transition to bowfishing with no fletches, you may want to put one vane or a portion of a vane on your fishing arrow in the alignment that hits your nose.  That way, it shouldn't affect the underwater flight characteristics and you will be able to practice your concentration on moving targets, best of both worlds.  If you can pull to your nose on moving carp, a whitetail will be a breeze.  This is what I am talking about when I ask people to seek stress in their shooting so they have an opportunity to practice their concentration.  Bowfishing is a perfect opportunity to strengthen your system.   No reason to stop shooting perfect shots because the game has changed!!!!
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

Offline Torben Jensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Clickerman I have read your explanation on the tab sear a lot of times over and I am still in doubt where and how you put the metal plate. Do you have a picture, a drawing or maybe can try to explain again in other words?

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
I am not sure how to post pics on this site so if you would like some pics of the tab sear, please email me at [email protected].  I just took them but I don't see any way to post pictures.  Maybe someone could tell me how to post some pics on here.

Thanks
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
I "snap shoot" with my clicker to pratice for the quick shots its fun! I have to ask Joel have you pulled through the clicker on every animal that youve shot? Ive read some people cant do it when shooting at game animals. This to me says TP isnt cured.

Also if a Psycho Trigger is important how do Rod and Denny shoot without one? I read Denny uses his Rhomboid as a clicker but what about other people who pull thru the shot without a clicker?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
2Blade,

Since I figured out the mental mechanics, I have pulled through or pressed through (depending on the psychotrigger) on every animal.  Some people don't do it on animals because of the stress involved in the shot.  WHAT are you thinking about during the shot.  During a high stress hunting situation, the mind wants to switch to results.  Man, I really hope I hit this thing, ok, I've got to stop him in that hole in the trees, there's the shot, NOW!!!!!  None of those thoughts will help you to shoot the perfect arrow under stress.  I recommend that people put a little sign on their bow that says, Keep Pulling, Keep Pulling...  It acts as a reminder during the time of stress.  If you are thinking about the spot you want to hit, the subconscious is then left to release the arrow when it wants to.  It wants those results that you are thinking about and it will shortcut the perfect shot to get them.

To my knowledge, and I may be wrong, but Rod Jenkins now shoots with a clicker.  At least I am told that he did at IBO Worlds. Denny uses his Rhomboid as a back clicker, but he has accepted the fact that it is an anticipatory psychotrigger.  Both shooters have experienced and still battle target panic as most of us do.  Only a handful of people in the archery world can truly say they have never experienced or battle with target panic.  Remember, the mental mechanics are more important than the psychotrigger.  The psychotrigger is just a convenient "GO" signal to tell the subconscious to release the string.  

I am not trying to take away from people that are able to shoot perfect arrows without the use of psychotrigger, but those people are few and far between.  They are the 1% and for that I envy them.  Those that can shoot a shot like that under stress are even more rare.  The mental mechanics is just a way to show you not only what to concentrate on during a shot, but HOW to concentrate.
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
Joel,
Directions on posting images can be found in the FAQ link at the top.  Thanks so much for being willing to help and share this information with us all!
Gary

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:
Ed Q,

Our words are so meaningful to us.  I believe that part of the manifestation process of TP is in overaiming.  Aim, aim, aim as a mantra may just leads us back down the same trail.  Thinking pull, pull, pull or whatever that may be that works for you to get to the conclusion of the shot may be a better mantra.  

For me it is push, push, push.  Those words activate me to push my draw elbow around and thus activates the proper back muscles for a perfect shot.        

Over time shooting a bow we begin to try to hard, to be over precise in our aim.  This leads to an increase in metal tension, anxiety about the shot.  John Schulz stated in his video that Howard Hill said "if your forms right, you won't be too far off at 50 yards".

What do you have to do to hit the spot?  Point (aim) in the direction of the intended spot and shoot a repeatable shot execution.  I really like what Joel is talking about.  A process focus of our thoughts on the action it takes to get to the conclusion of the shot.  We are not so engrossed in aiming that we create an overwhelming amount of tension in an already tense person under the strain of drawing a bow to full draw.      

Just like our bowarm, drawing hand, and bow grip needs to be consistent, a sameness to our cognitions need also to be present.  Just my thoughts, no pun intended     :p      :D  
Thanks a bunch, Dragonheart, for your time and generous insight in helping me with this malady.  My initial TP caused me to struggle mentally with pulling back and reaching full draw without releasing prematurely.  I think I developed this form of TP by beginning to aim at the outset of my draw and continuing to aim while drawing.

I've been practicing Dr. Kidwell's drills and have incorporated a different kind of draw that allows me to draw completely to full anchor without releasing by not aiming at all at the outset or during my draw.  By doing this, I can come to full draw and hold.  However, I've since developed a new and different kind of TP that mentally prevents me from lining up the tip of the arrow with the target.  If the aim is high, I struggle to bring the bow arm down an inch or two for elevation purposes.  If the aim is low, I struggle to raise my bow arm.  I've found recently that if I use a mantra by telling myself to "aim, aim, aim," I can usually overcome the mental block and raise or lower my bow arm accordingly to adjust for elevation before releasing.  Fortunately, I don't seem to have a problem with windage (left/right), just elevation.  Should I instead use the mantra of "lower bow arm, lower bow arm, etc.?"

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Man great response Joel! Ive really learned alot from you guys from pics and reading I really feel like ive killed my TP! I just feel so relaxed and calm and I KNOW im gonna pull through everytime. I really feel like shooting with a clicker and your techniques will help anyone have an enjoyable TP free shooting experence. I know when I have kids or teach somebody new they will learn with a clicker from day 1 to ensure they dont have to deal with the TP bs. I couldnt imagine shooting any other way. Thanks again Joel and keep on clickin  ;)
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Ed Q,

Please call me so I can explain your issue to you.  It sounds as though you are thinking about aiming during your shot.  This thought process will allow the subconscious to perform the entire shot activation process.  That is not a good thing and will lead to even further target panic.  It sounds as if you are using the proper sight picture as your goal and your stimulus for the release.  Locking off target is a common symptom of target panic that is brought on by thinking about aiming.

The aim is only the first part of the shot, once it is done, you only have to watch the sight picture to keep it.  Your subconscious will always find symmetry but you have to let it do that.  The next portion of the shot is conscious shot activation.  They are two totally separate and unrelated tasks for the mind.

Please, Please, Please call me so I can explain.  It is way more simple than you might imagine.  What Dragonheart is talking about are things that I explained to him in our conversation.  I would like to get you on the right track so you can enjoy complete control of your shot.
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »

Here is a pic of the tab sear, more to come.
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »

Another pic
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »

And another!!!
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
Ed Q,

One of the things I really hear from your post is a large significance still on aiming and being just right.  

In my experience, you must first learn a form or style with no emphasis on aiming.  Not sure where you are with that.  Video helps a bunch for you to see what is looks like and you can relate that to what it feels like to shoot he arrow.  Your movies don't lie, they are brutally honest sometimes.  

If you can shoot and learn the feel of a perfect shot, that is key in developing your physical form.  Joel's aspects are for the mental habits of a perfect shot, and a gives a mental routine for every shot.    

How do you aim?  gap? instinctive?  What triggers the loose of the string for you?

Your mind (subconsious) can focus on multiple tasks at the same time.  One analogy my buddy Nate Steen talks about is driving a car.  You can be "zoned out" but still have an awareness of the speedometer, foot on the gas, lines on the road, steering wheel, etc.  Getting the physical form of a shot pinned down I think comes first.  

What do you want to look like at full draw? at followthru? at mid draw? etc?  

I have always been fascinated by the archers different forms and how people can shoot well with multiple different styles.  Bent arm, straight, slouched, upright, thumb up, thumb down, etc.  All will work, but must have some sameness to be reproduced.  Certain grips and types of bows lend themselves to being shot a certain style.            

I understand the concept of not aiming until you get to full draw, but for me it does not work due to style (hill style) I shoot, and my previous manifestation (symptoms) of TP.  

I can hold at full draw, but the TP problem developed.  I got into freezing in the shot process and being unable to activate the shot.  the clicker did that to me.  I became so dependent  on shooting off the clicker that I actually developed clicker panic.  That totally sucks, believe you me!  This is TP and lighter weight bows only made this worse, especially shooting at game animals.  Not being able to let go with a clean release.    

For me there is an increase in the intensity of concentration through the shot.  Like a narrowing of the focus on a lens as I get to anchor.  When my concentration is right, then back tension increase at the same time, and the unanticipated trigger activates the refusal to hold the bowstring and it is "down the pipe".  

As a mantra I use "keep pushing, keep pushing" in regards to my draw elbow.  If you have someone that does not understand which muscles to use in the back, have them think about to "push" their elbow on the draw arm back.  This will activate the right muscles most of the time.  Pulling at times people will use their arm strength, which is no way to draw a bow.  

I have not used Joel's mental system long, but I tell you I am shooting much cleaner shots and getting to full draw.  My release is a surprise.  Joel has drawn out of me in a brief discussion the mental "script" for my self talk and cognitive habits for an archery shot.  Pretty dang cool.

BTW:  I do not shoot a clicker.  

"lower bow arm" is a mantra related again to aiming not the process of getting to the  unanticipated trigger.

Once aiming is done, what will get you to the loose of the bowstring without anticipation?

Joel explains this really well, give him a call.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Joel and Dragonheart - you guys are awesome!  Thanks a bunch for helping a trad brother out with this accursed TP malady!

Joel, thanks for offering to help me over the phone.  I will definitely plan on calling you.  I realize we all work and have busy schedules, so is there a day and time that's good or bad to call?

Offline tyee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Great post Joel. Tim
bezaleel bow works
schafer
howatt

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Ed Q,

Call my cell anytime.  If you don't reach me, please leave me a message.  I am usually stuck in traffic and can chat the entire trip home which takes me about 1.5 hours to get home from work.  I will hook up the bluetooth and we can chat.  I will be able to get back to you by about 5 P.M. PST.  Look forward to talking with you.

JT
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
1.5 hour drive ???  holy cats. hope your gas is cheaper up there.  

fantastic thread by the way. good luck in 2012
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Someone asked me if I'd looked at this thread, and I said no.  I don't get into target panic chat cause I've never had it and don't want to.

But I will say this,...I shoot the exact opposite.  I am totally immersed consciously into aiming, and my subconscious totally runs the shot. I'm aiming before I ever start drawing my bow.

Some of the best shots I've ever made at game I was so immersed in the hunt and the shot window opening, I don't even remember drawing the bow.

Interesting how some folks do things one way, and others do it in a completely opposite manner.  I guess that's why we have folk figuring the trajectory to the moon, and other folks flying the rocket....glad they don't swap just before ignition.

No, I didn't read all the thread....after just a few posts....I panicked!!!       :D          :D          :D
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©