Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Canting the bow  (Read 524 times)

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
Canting the bow
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
I've always been a hunter and I naturally cant my bow.  However, I'm shooting in my first league this year and have noticed my bow is sitting closer to perpendicular the more I shoot.  I'm not complaining because my scores are low (261,265,270), but I'm wondering how this range time will affect me in the field.  Should I just roll with it?
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline momo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Canting the bow
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
any practice is good practice its hard coming out of your comfort soon but it might help you in the long run look at the top shhoter most of them shoot with there bow perpendicula i said most not all .
vern thompson

Offline tuketu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
It's been a while since I've shot traditional, but have always enjoyed the fun of it.

Shooting cant style has always felt more natural for me but I have no consistency in grouping my arrows; my groups are better shooting verticle.

I'm just wondering what measures I can take to correct this.I'm aware of the dropping my bow arm issue, I just can't seem to zero in.
I'd certainly appreciate any tips !

tuk

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Being able to shoot at various cant angles is an advantage when hunting.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
One thing that helps me is to have my head canted in the line same as the bow. If you keep your head up, it's hard to be consistent.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Old Vet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
As a hunter, I like the target picture I get with a cant, so generally that is how I shoot, but I practice at all different bow angles. I have had to take shots from perpendicular to almost horizontal and knowing the sight picture at all angles certainly takes away any preshot doubt. Also ditto Tom above. Many of the target shooters you see shooting with no cant are either string walking, or using something on their bow as a reference or sight mark. Works great for known ranges and flat ground, but it is not helping their instinctive ability.
" Aim small....miss small"
Dwyer Dauntless; Black Widow PSA & PA; Mike Sullivan "Shadow" Recurve.

Offline Bullie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
I am just getting into trad bows after many years away.  I coach my school's archery team (compounds Mathews Genesis) and I shoot those vertically.  I teach the kids to pick something to use as an aiming reference though I cannot shoot that way myself.  I shoot with both eyes open only looking at the target.  Should I continue to do what I am doing or should I attempt to work some cant into my form while it is still new to me?
QSMA Founder and President

Current World Record Holder Grey Squirrel 1.96 B&S points.  Taken in the Mississippi hills.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©