Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Help please thumb getting in way  (Read 611 times)

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
Help please thumb getting in way
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Here is the deal or what I feel is the deal.

While shooting/practicing I always try and note things that feel odd that are making my shooting rough rather then smooth. The one I found tonight is that my anchor thumb is dragging across my face making me want to pull away from my face or not hitting my anchor cleanly and has me searching for my anchor rather then smoothly drawing and finding it.

Now I'm sure yall are about to ask is what type of anchor or how do you hold the string. I hold split finger, and anchor middle finger in the corner of my mouth. I changed from shooting with index finger in corner of my mouth. So after moving up and tightening my groups at further distances now I get odd arrows and when I start drawing at times a catch my thumb on my face and it messes my anchor and shot up terribly.

Any tips please would be great.
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline fatzboys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help please thumb getting in way
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:08:00 AM »
tarorbones
i no what you mean.What can help you is to watch  "moebows" rotational draw video which you can find by  searching on here.Your pulling straight back instead of down and around.Moebow explains it way better than me so this will help.Also what i found helps me stay in my back muscles,is i shorten my draw and used the thumb you spoke of that was getting in the way as my new anchor.i put the first knuckel of my thumb in the corner of my mouth hold back tension and when settled pull till index hits corner of mouth.It has help me alot to use the thumb in my case anyway

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I had the same problem for years. What I have found to work is to "tuck" the thumb under the chin. The thumb pad wraps over the pinky nail.

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice i will have to try them both
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
By anchoring with the middle finger in the corner of your mouth and using split finger, you can't help but getting the thumb on your face. It's just anatomy. I had this same problem, so I switched to three under with my index finger in the corner of my mouth, which drops the thumb to the jawbone.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
Bobco's answer...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©