Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Why and Am I doing the Right Thing?  (Read 487 times)

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
Why and Am I doing the Right Thing?
« on: March 11, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
During the winter I just concentrated on my form.  I shoot with a thumb draw which is irrelevant to this question other than the fact that is the style I shoot.  For form training I stayed at 10 meters and could do anything I needed to do to get to full draw and once at full draw I could hold forever, release quickly or even draw shapes around my target as Jay Kidwell showed In Master IV.  I had my arrows cut to my draw length so the act as a clicker because when the pile reaches my finger I knew I was at full draw and I was consistent.

Now I went out to a 3D shoot and I was having trouble with being consistent.  I shot all right but I didn't feel in full control.  I used the same bow same arrows so there was no change in my equipment only distances.

I went back to 10 meters and again no problem consistent for 30 shots.  My first question is why does the mind see the target differently and why does that affect form?

My second question is what I plan on doing is shoot 30 shots at 10 meters and move back 12 until the same consistency exists and keep walking back.  Does this sound right?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why and Am I doing the Right Thing?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
There's a lot more than just the target that's different at a 3D shoot. I think it's pretty normal to experience a lack of control under those conditions. If it were me, I would alternate my controlled practice sessions with stump shooting where each arrow is fired at a different range and a different target to learn to stay focused under varying conditions.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
What Mc said X 2 !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Old Vet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
Just as the first two posts said, continue your controlled shooting for form and mix in some stump shooting at varied ranges, ground angle, and different visual backgrounds. Another very good form of practice is shooting tennis balls with judo points in an open field or large lawn area. Toss the tennis balls out and where they stop is where you shoot them. One arrow at each. If one gets hit, the next shot is taken at where it stops rolling. A very definate "pick a spot" exercise........ Now if I can just remember that next time!
" Aim small....miss small"
Dwyer Dauntless; Black Widow PSA & PA; Mike Sullivan "Shadow" Recurve.

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I will take your advice nothing like stumps for fun.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©