Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Arrow troubles???  (Read 415 times)

Offline Scbenton

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow troubles???
« on: April 03, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
Hello All!!!

I just ventured over to the dark side of bow hunting and found myself interested in shooting and hunting with a recurve.  Right now I have a Left Hand 58” Martin Mamba at 50 lbs and 28”.  I have shot the bow for two full days and having a blast so far.  I have a couple of concerns I would like to address with you all and see what you think.  

When shooting the compound I was drawing around 25/25.5 inches if I remember correctly.  This evening I marked out an arrow and drew back to my anchor point with the recurve and found I was around 23.5 inches.  I know you lose some draw length when going from compound to recurve, but is losing 1.5 to 2 inches of draw length about right?  A 23.5 inch draw length makes me feel a lot shorter then I already am at 5’5’’!!!

Also when I went to the archery shop to help me find a good arrow combination, they had me shoot only 500 spine arrows made by Beman they are 7.3/7.1 gpi.  The arrow lengths ranged from 29 to 31 inches all had a 125 gr tip, he did not have me paper tune, he just watched the arrow flight and noted which arrow impacted straight in to the target.  (some were going in at a slight angle)  He choose the 29.5 inch arrows and said they looked to fly the best.  So here is my question, is a 29.5 inch arrow to long for my draw length, plus the length of a broadhead?  

I would like to shoot a heavier arrow (for whitetail deer) around 9.1/9.3 gpi Beman MFX or ICS Camo Hunters in the 400 spine but he said they would have to much spine.  One reason is I am worried about arrow penetration when hunting Is because I have such a short draw length especially more so now when shooting the recurve.  Right now I am only getting about 3  maybe 4 inches of penetration at most with field points in to a rhinehart 18-1 target.  Does this seem a little low?  I have plenty of the arrows mentioned above from shooting my compound, if I refletch them using feathers and add a heavier point/insert is it possible to get them to tune properly?

For tuning when shooting left handed for example a tear left X-0 would indicate an arrow being on the stiff side, a tear right 0-X would mean a weak arrow?  

Any information, threads I may have missed, hints, tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good night!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow troubles???
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 05:49:00 AM »
This is your first post, so welcome to the    :campfire:

That being said, this post belongs in the pow wow forum, please repost it there for your answers.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©