Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Need help  (Read 575 times)

Offline longbow565

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help
« on: April 18, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
Ok this is my first question on this sight. Please help. My shooting has never been very consistent anyway but. I tried something and need someone a lot smarter than me to interpret it. I set a little mark on the lawn in front of my target about the right distance so that if at full draw the tip of my arrow is sighting on it. Without even looking at the target shot 5 arrows. Just lining up the point of my arrow with the mark on the lawn. 2 broadheads 2 field points and 1 bare shaft. My group was about the size of an orange at just over 20 yards. This is way better than I normally shoot. What is this telling me?  By the way I love reading and learning on Trad Gang.
A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man
with a helmet defending a football.
God bless America

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbow565:
 What is this telling me?  
It telling me that it's working.   :)  

I believe that Byron Ferguson uses this technique in his instruction. Hopefully at some point, you will be able to remove the reference and still have the technique engrained.

Offline longbow565

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
Why cant I duplicate this by looking at what I am shooting?
God bless America

Offline Mo0se

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
Split vision can help you...aim at your spot then look the arrows relationship to the target and remember that "sight picture". The repeat the sight picture without your reference on the ground. Split vision is looking at the relationship of the arrow to the target and the target without focusing 100% on either..it's easy to do. Fixate your eyes on an object on the wall, now bring your finger up in to your fixated stare. You will see that you can see both fairly clearly.
A longbow and wood arrows? Peas and Carrots!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
longbow565,

You are using an aiming system known as "point of aim."  It is very effective for set/known distance targets but can start to fall short in the varying conditions of hunting /3D or stump shooting where distance is variable.  If you are shooting well this way, it is telling you that your form is pretty consistent -- which is VERY good!  You next step should probably be to start to try to incorporate the view of the target and move the arrow tip to your peripheral vision.  That would be "gap" shooting. Then reducing your reliance on the peripheral arrow alignment becomes what is often called "instinctive" shooting.  Many stop at gap, others move on.  That depends on you and what you want to do.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline longbow565

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Thanks all. I will try this. I hunt so I would like te be more instinctive. Thanks again. I have been struggling with this in varying degrees since 1983. When I put down my wheelie bow.
God bless America

Offline longbow565

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
I tried this last night and shot a lot better. Thanks guys
God bless America

Users currently browsing this topic: